Canon has registered two unreleased lenses with certification agencies

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has registered two new lenses with Russian certification authorities. Back in October within their third-quarter financials, Canon did mention two more RF mount lenses coming this year. With 2021 ending in a week or so, these two lenses may be coming in January instead.
The registered lenses have the following model numbers

5055C005
5056C005

In the past, similar lenses have had near the same model number in these registrations, but not always.
What lenses can we expect? I haven’t been told yet, but you can check out our RF mount lens roadmap here. Keep in mind that there may be some missing lenses on our roadmap.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Here's hoping it's the RF24mm f1.8 macro and the 35mm f1.2L prime. Both would be excellent additions to the lineup.

For once in my life, I'm really loving the cheap non-L series primes. After getting the RF 35mm 1.8, I realized how nice it is having some cheap and light primes for casual shooting with the family or on travel. At $300-400, it barely costs me anything to get them, and not everything needs to be my big and heavy L-series zooms.

That said, I could also see it being the pair of autofocus tilt shift lenses, though I don't think that would make much sense to announce near/alongside a cinema camera.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The 3Q financials stated they planned to have 26 lenses by the end of the year. They have 26 lenses now.

View attachment 201799

Canon counts extenders as lenses, if you’re not counting them that would explain the discrepancy between your count and theirs.
Why would extenders need certification?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Here's hoping it's the RF24mm f1.8 macro and the 35mm f1.2L prime. Both would be excellent additions to the lineup.

For once in my life, I'm really loving the cheap non-L series primes. After getting the RF 35mm 1.8, I realized how nice it is having some cheap and light primes for casual shooting with the family or on travel. At $300-400, it barely costs me anything to get them, and not everything needs to be my big and heavy L-series zooms.

That said, I could also see it being the pair of autofocus tilt shift lenses, though I don't think that would make much sense to announce near/alongside a cinema camera.
Yes, the "budget" non-L lenses are optically more than good enough for most usage, and although the specifications (max aperture, lack of weather-sealing) are inferior to L glass, they are remarkably affordable, and very light and compact. I have the RF800 and RF600, both of which are excellent birding lenses, and the macros are also very good, although limited to 1:2 scale.

It would for me be great if some more non-L lenses were added to the range - I'd love to have a light and compact 180mm F5.6 stabilised AF macro (1:1) similar to the one made many years ago by Sigma, but I'm probably dreaming...

... and my guess is that both of the newly certified lenses will be high end L primes - most likely the 500mm F4 and a wide-aperture wide-angle.

Now, if I was a rich man, I'd probably get every single lens that Canon makes.... how nice it would be to be able to choose from all of them.

New bodies are nice, but extra lenses open more doors to creativity.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017

That sounds like a good guess to me. If we're considering these as two lenses that were supposed to come out this year that are getting pushed back because of all the manufacturing issues that have been plaguing so many industries.

For 2021 they released:
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM - 1.4× maximum magnification
  • RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF600mm F4 L IS USM
  • RF14–35mm F4 L IS USM
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • RF100–400mm F5.6–8 IS USM
  • RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye
Of the two, the 24 1.8 seems the most likely. It would complete the set of non-L primes from 16 to 85, which sounds like something they'd want to do to be set for the Year of the Camera Body which includes successors to the cheaper end R and and RP. The 35 1.4L would "balance" out the releases of the year and help to fill out the L primes, also in prep for the Year of the Camera Body.

It could be the two auto-focus tilt shift lenses, but I feel like the 5.2mm Dual Fisheye is the niche/unique/statement lens for 2021 and they'd want the tilt-shift lenses in a separate year (still assuming this lenses were supposed to be part of 2021 and just got delayed.)

The only other combo from the roadmap I can see that makes sense would be the 24 1.8 STM, and the 18-45 STM if they're also announcing the APS-C body to be its kit lens.

None of the other lenses in the roadmap make sense, imo.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Why would extenders need certification?
The point is that CRguy counted 24 lenses and is suggesting that Canon’s statement that they’ll have 26 lenses by year’s end means two more are coming. But, Canon considers extenders to be lenses so by Canon’s count they’ve met their goal and have 26 lenses already.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If the lenses mentioned are neither:
RF TSE 14mm
RF 180mm macro:
I'll jump ship!

Edit: Or wait...;)
Unfortunately I think you (and I) will be waiting a long time, maybe 3 or 4 years, before a stabilised 180mm macro appears.

The old EF 180mm macro is my favourite lens. Fortunately, since the latest R5 firmware update, it has become a lot more usable. The update has improved the effectiveness of IBIS with this lens by about a stop. But I'd still jump at the chance to have an improved version, with optical stabilisation. I don't really see a need for a macro to have an aperture wider than F5.6, so the lens could be made a lot smaller and lighter than the F3.5 model. My ancient Sigma 180mm F5.6 AF macro was half the length of the Canon, and a third of the weight...

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Lots of nice wishes. Me ol’ Irish Da used to say, “Wish in one hand and sh!t in the other, and see which fills up first.”

In addition to this thread being based on a miscount of available lenses (there are already the 26 RF lenses Csnon said there would be), CRguy said something of significance:
The registered lenses have the following model numbers

5055C005
5056C005

In the past, similar lenses have had near the same model number in these registrations, but not always.

The reference is to the fact that such sequential model numbers are generally assigned to a lens released in multiple colors. Perhaps this is an updated EF-M kit lens in black and white versions. As a reminder, one was patented a while back:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Lots of nice wishes. Me ol’ Irish Da used to say, “Wish in one hand and sh!t in the other, and see which fills up first.”

In addition to this thread being based on a miscount of available lenses (there are already the 26 RF lenses Csnon said there would be), CRguy said something of significance:

The reference is to the fact that such sequential model numbers are generally assigned to a lens released in multiple colors. Perhaps this is an updated EF-M kit lens in black and white versions. As a reminder, one was patented a while back:

The inclusion of the old EF 100mm macro in the certification, which everyone else seems to have overlooked, certainly points to an erroneous conclusion by CRGuy. Why on Earth would a 12 year old EF lens appear in the same certification document as 2 brand new unreleased models? Is it 1st April or what? I'm pretty confident that the 2 code-named lenses are models that have been in production for many years, and someone somewhere has cocked up.

Upvote 0