Canon High End Mirrorless Camera Talk [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that a roadmap slide at a recent Canon presentation mentioned a “high end mirrorless ILC” to be announced in Q4 of 2018.</p>
<p>Canon recently showed that sales of their EOS M system have grown 70% over the past year, and with Nikon set to announce a new high end mirrorless system, it’s obviously time for Canon to enter the same area.</p>
<p>With a product that far off, obviously there is no specifications or leaks about what is in the pipeline, Canon likely hasn’t come close to settling on the feature set of the camera. While “high end” doesn’t mean full frame, it’s safe to say that the Canon world likely won’t be ok with another APS-C mirrorless camera.</p>
<p>It was mentioned that no “high end” lenses for the mirrorless ILC were shown on the roadmap.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Dream wishlist:

- Fullframe, 5D IV sensor-like quality
- EF mount or at least EF/EF-M adapter in box (there should not be compatibility issues, since it's basically just a close-up ring anyway)
- DSLR sized grip with LP-E6N battery (at least 500 photos on one charge with EVF)
- EVF with at least 0.75x magnification
- Advanced DPAF, since without fast AF, it would be DOA

:)

Upvote 0
Unlikely to happen, but wouldn't a modular mirrorless system be cool? Almost like a RED system but for photos. You could interchange the grip, the EVF, the screen, maybe even the sensor and card slots... a completely interchangeable system! Pay only for the megapixels you want, or the video capabilities you want; you don't have to pay for a flip-out screen if you don't want it, etc. Won't happen but it's fun to dream :D

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
Dream wishlist:

- EF mount or at least EF/EF-M adapter in box (there should not be compatibility issues, since it's basically just a close-up ring anyway)
- DSLR sized grip with LP-E6N battery (at least 500 photos on one charge with EVF)

Sounds good to me! Q4 2018 seems pretty far off though, the benchmark for competition could look quite different by then. We may be comparing this camera to a 5D SR II, a7RIII or a D850. Who knows, Canon could have a few other key developments in their pipeline to position this at the higher-end of the market.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Khalai said:
Dream wishlist:

mine would be an SL2 sized mirrorless full frame. that's simply something canon cannot do with a mirror.

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
Dream wishlist:

add good eye-controlled AF to that list... with DPAF, focus points wouldn't really be a limitation...

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
BeenThere said:
Too far out to speculate, but yeah, they should take note of where Sony is going in mirrorless.

except a negligible amount of people are purchasing sony's .. so why repeat a mistake?

I used to have the same opinion when it was the A7 but the amount of people I know who are buying A9's in pairs as well is staggering. Professional wedding photographers are inhaling them off the shelves. Interestingly a lot of folks are leaving Nikon due to the similarities in sensor output but less so with Canon.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
wockawocka said:
I used to have the same opinion when it was the A7 but the amount of people I know who are buying A9's in pairs as well is staggering.

So, you must personally know millions of people...or you're easily staggered. ;)

Not really. I saw all the A7 hyperbole but the large majority of people didn't bite. The A9 has changed things. It's almost as if the A7 was ok, but not good enough for the working pro's. The speed of the A9, greater af points across pretty much the whole frame and dual card slots appear to of sealed the deal.

I know a big enough sample of professionals to say it's very different with the A9 vs the previous models.

Me personally, I'm not leaving my 5D4's, love the things and hate Sony colours and their flash system.

Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
What are the advantages of mirrorless? Besides very high shutter speeds? Size and weight are not issues for me; in fact, I like how the 5D IV feels with a Sigma 135mm Art on it.

Please direct me to the thread where this was discussed. Thanks!

To start, think about the benefits of Live View:

• live histogram
  • focus peaking
  • zebras
  • seeing what the sensor sees
  • spot focus anywhere

Also, once you remove the mirror apparatus (size and location) you're free to make a number of changes, as suits a particular need:

• Want it smaller and lighter? Just squeeze it together and make a smaller device
  • Want 16 usable stops of DR? Use two sensors and a partial mirror to have full-time integrated HDR
  • Want better light collection, color, resolution from the same pixel count? Install a trichroic prism and 3-sensor system for separate R,G,B collection.
  • Want maximum size from each capture? Use a 42mm square sensor to grab the whole image circle, and never have to choose "portrait" or "landscape" at capture.
  • Want a disruptive design? Make the "camera" just a large lens cap, and move all control, preview, etc. to your mobile device or VR goggles.

Upvote 0