Canon Hong Kong confirms September 14, 2021 announcement date for the Canon EOS R3

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I don't recall Canon ever confirming a resolution before release. I'd like to be proven wrong. Can you do that?
Sorry, I have better things to do. haha I'm more referencing the way Canon's way of marketing since the R5/R6 announcement is dangling carrots in front of us. When the EOS R launched, that was it...it launched. When the 90D/M6II launched, the 1DXIII, that was it....no fuss. But with the R5 and even more so, I believe, with the R3, they announce the camera in small pieces and small details.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
There's this false competition between brands that we also see debated in forums.

Most invested in a brand will not switch. It's too expensive, too much hassle. And you lose the advantage of the experience you have acquired learning your current system.

This competition matters more to reviewers, who get to review all of the equipment from all brands, and so the competition narrative makes it more interesting for them and attracts more views/reads, etc, mostly from people who won't ever use the equipment and are kind of like spectators in a sports game.

But there is no Sony A9III and likely not to be for a while. Sony had to stop production on their popular A7SIII due to the chip shortage. I know one guy who would buy one if he could find one. They are still having problems meeting demand for their A1. Their next likely release is the A7 IV. They have no bandwidth for an a9III at this point and it wouldn't make much sense. Why compete against their higher priced A1, which they can't make enough of?

The a9III rumor was rated as a long shot even by SAR. So let's get rid of that notion.

If Canon says that the 1DXIII is still their flagship, then they almost have to price it lower than that model. Now how much lower we will see. But it won't make much sense for Canon to still proclaim that their 1DXIII is their flagship but have the R3 priced higher.
This competiton matters more to the consumer. The R3 points directly at the A9 series—and that's why there should be an A9III.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sorry, I have better things to do. haha I'm more referencing the way Canon's way of marketing since the R5/R6 announcement is dangling carrots in front of us. When the EOS R launched, that was it...it launched. When the 90D/M6II launched, the 1DXIII, that was it....no fuss. But with the R5 and even more so, I believe, with the R3, they announce the camera in small pieces and small details.
Get your memory checked. Haha.

As an easy-to-find example, here's the preview of the 1D X III, a couple of months before the launch.

No mention of the sensor MP in that preview, but they talk about AF performance, frame rate, buffer depth, controls and connectivity. Sounds a lot like the 'dangling carrots' provided for the R3.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
The Canon pro body is far more durable and reliable than a Sony. No contest. That counts for something, esp if one does a lot of shooting in challenging conditions.

Plus many prefer the larger body style for ergonomics and handling, especially with longer lenses.
I do a lot of shooting in some pretty demanding conditions and have been doing it for years (I lead wildlife photography tours around the world and you go out even if the conditions are not great). I have shot in the hot, wet, mud, dust, sand, cold, ice, extreme humidity, etc., and I have not had my a9II or a7rIV give me any more troubles then my 1DxII or my two R5s. I am an N of 1, so I won't state anything beyond my personal experience, but I will not hesitate to take any of my cameras where and when I need to go including my Sonys.
The Canon pro body is far more durable and reliable than a Sony. No contest. That counts for something, esp if one does a lot of shooting in challenging conditions.

Plus many prefer the larger body style for ergonomics and handling, especially with longer lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Interesting that you say Canon has to compete with Nikon and Sony, but in the next sentence you say that if the R3 is priced too high, you'll just buy another R5. Canon will still get our money, albeit a bit less of it.

That illustrates 'the facts of the matter' rather clearly. Contrary to your statement, Canon isn't competing with Nikon and Sony. They are trying to attract current Canon users (who comprise the majority of ILC users) to buy the R3.
That's a very narrow perspective of how you think the largest camera company in the world operates. LOL As if Canon's historic global competition with a declining brand and a quickly emerging competitor doesn't drive their company's strategy...right. Canon doesn't have to worry about Canon owners because, as you assume, we'll buy anything with a Canon badge - so why even try? No, Canon absolutely understands how this camera looks against its rivals is extremely important. My apologies for trying to have some fun and speculate features and predict where this camera might be priced...why are you even on this forum if you don't want to take part in the entire existence for this forum? Holy smokes. LOL

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That's a very narrow perspective of how you think the largest camera company in the world operates. LOL As if Canon's historic global competition with a declining brand and a quickly emerging competitor doesn't drive their company's strategy...right. Canon doesn't have to worry about Canon owners because, as you assume, we'll buy anything with a Canon badge - so why even try? No, Canon absolutely understands how this camera looks against its rivals is extremely important. My apologies for trying to have some fun and speculate features and predict where this camera might be priced...why are you even on this forum if you don't want to take part in the entire existence for this forum? Holy smokes. LOL
Speculation and fun are fine, if properly informed. Your post on the 'dangling carrots' being new shows that the information you bring to the table is not very reliable.

As for competition, of course Canon is aware of it and it contributes to strategy, but if brand switching was common, market share would shift much more rapidly than it does. There's a reason they've been the market leader for nearly two decades. Most of that is down to attracting entry-level customers and keeping them in-system.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Nothing about overheating… or rather not overheating. Let’s hope the added size has done away with this issue.
No specs on frame rates for video either. 6K resolution seems to be in the cards, though not listed.

Canon is never going to say "this camera won't overheat". That is like admitting the R5/R6 were "faulty" in some way.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I wonder about the 24MP sensor, it does not fit with in the "R3 will be between the R5 and the R1". The R5 is 45MP, the R1 will be 20-24MP so the R3 should be about 28-32MP camera to "fit between" it also fit the data transfere rate vs number of frames. 45MP at 20FPS, and then 30FPS should be about 30MP sensor.
Canon stated between the R5 and the 1D X III, not between the R5 and the R1. 24 MP is between 45 and 20 MP. Data transfer rate matters to camera designers and forum dwellers.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Canon stated between the R5 and the 1D X III, not between the R5 and the R1. 24 MP is between 45 and 20 MP. Data transfer rate matters to camera designers and forum dwellers.
24MP is between 20MP and 45MP, but not "squarely between"

Of course, we don't know what exactly Canon meant in the quote. Did they mean the price? MP count? AF capabilities? speed? It would be hard to be exactly squarely between on all of the above.

"The Canon EOS R3 will join the current lineup of EOS R full-frame mirrorless series cameras. This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras."

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
$6500 and 30MP is my guess.
I’ll be annoyed if it’s $7000 and 24MP.
Surely Canon would like to wow with a 30MP sensor after beating down expectations to 24MP.
It feels like a Keyser Sose moment, the greatest trick Canon ever pulled was convincing the world the R3 was 24MP.
(A bit of wishful thinking never hurt anyone).

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Canon is never going to say "this camera won't overheat". That is like admitting the R5/R6 were "faulty" in some way.
Canon already admitted that the R5 and R6 will overheat. I think it would be a mistake for them not to clearly state that the overheating concerns are addressed in this camera, if indeed they are.
For many, overheating is the elephant in the room.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
What is this 'quickly emerging competitor' of which you speak? Could be Sony, the company who held about 17% of the ILC market in 2012 and with all their technological superiority has boosted their 'quickly emerging' status to....oh.....less than 20% of the ILC market? Canon clearly have a lot to worry about.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What is this 'quickly emerging competitor' of which you speak? Could be Sony, the company who held about 17% of the ILC market in 2012 and with all their technological superiority has boosted their 'quickly emerging' status to....oh.....less than 20% of the ILC market? Canon clearly have a lot to worry about.
Now, now...Sony sold more ILCs than any other manufacturer. In South Korea. In April of 2018.

• Haha
Upvote 0