Canon Hong Kong confirms September 14, 2021 announcement date for the Canon EOS R3

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like September 14, 2021 (depending on geography) has been confirmed by Canon Hong Kong as the announcement date for the Canon EOS R3.
I believe that first shipments of the Canon EOS R3 will be in November, but I haven’t confirmed that information as of yet, but we don’t have long to wait to find out for certain.
Pricing for the Canon EOS R3 is not yet known, I have unfortunately received various pricing suggestions that don’t line up as of yet.
Canon EOS R3 Specifications:

24mp backside illuminated image sensor
Multi-Controller & Smart Controller
Vari-Angle Touch Screen
NEW accessory shoe
Wifi 5GHz
High speed 30fps electronic shutter with AF/AE tracking + RAW shooting at this speed
AF down to -7.0 EV
8 Stops Coordinated Control IS with Optical IS and In-Body IS
4K Canon...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Pricing will be interesting. They keep saying it is NOT their flagship....but I think there is a chance it will be more expensive than the 1DXIII. The R1 I think has a chance to be $8k USD, which gives a lot of room between there and the R5 to slot this. Canon has been pushing pricing a lot (e.g. 20%, or sometimes more), so that is how you get a $6500 1DXIII up to an $8k R1. Could they then put the R3 at $6600? I think its at least possible.

I hope its more like $4k, but I think that makes it too close to the R5. SO I'm guessing the floor for pricing will be $4500. In my purely speculative math here, that's a range of probability between $4500 and $6700USD. All too much for me. But I'm still waiting with excitement to see what the final answer is.

Brian

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
It has clearly been in a number of reviewers hands, so looking forward to the onslaught of impression videos. I am probably most excited to see if there are any improvements from the BSI sensor that will eventually translate to other products and, second to that, to see if/how much the power power batteries help with AF over the R5/6.

But, other than MPs, this seems like a beast. If you want more MPs, this is not your camera.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Pricing will be interesting. They keep saying it is NOT their flagship....but I think there is a chance it will be more expensive than the 1DXIII. The R1 I think has a chance to be $8k USD, which gives a lot of room between there and the R5 to slot this. Canon has been pushing pricing a lot (e.g. 20%, or sometimes more), so that is how you get a $6500 1DXIII up to an $8k R1. Could they then put the R3 at $6600? I think its at least possible.

I hope its more like $4k, but I think that makes it too close to the R5. SO I'm guessing the floor for pricing will be $4500. In my purely speculative math here, that's a range of probability between $4500 and $6700USD. All too much for me. But I'm still waiting with excitement to see what the final answer is.

Brian

Each chip in the R series is going up by as much as 20% with the silicon shortage affecting everyone. And excellent time to reposition your products into higher tiers.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Wonder why the confirmation came out of Hong Kong and not Tokyo? Just curious. I'm sure there is a logical reason like Canon's PR team is located there.
If it is like past announcements, the Canon affiliate in each market (Canon USA for example) handles the publicity for each launch. Canon Japan sets a launch date, but that date is linked to local time, so, for example, the announcement might come at 10 a.m. Sept. 14, in London, while in the U.S. we will still be waiting. Good news is that once released in one market, we basically get all the details except pricing, which we have to wait for the local announcement to confirm. With a Hong Kong announcement on 9/14, we should have details in the U.S. sometime late 9/13.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020

Brian
Hi,
There is a thread for price speculation here, in case it is of interest:

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
It has clearly been in a number of reviewers hands, so looking forward to the onslaught of impression videos. I am probably most excited to see if there are any improvements from the BSI sensor that will eventually translate to other products and, second to that, to see if/how much the power power batteries help with AF over the R5/6.

But, other than MPs, this seems like a beast. If you want more MPs, this is not your camera.
If this is free from any overheating issues and comes in at $4500, I’ll preorder. At $6600 I think this will be a hard pass. I’m actually not loving a larger body. Size/weight was one of the reasons I sold my 1DXMK2. Cameras that large are only carried deliberately… never casually; Many will try, but in the end they will start to leave it behind.

This camera needs to be priced attractively to be a winner.

Upvote 0