Canon Hong Kong confirms September 14, 2021 announcement date for the Canon EOS R3

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Where as Wex and Park Cameras still £4300?
Just £3110 from Panamoz, and that includes the EF adaptor and a 3 year warranty. I've been buying all my bodies and lenses from them for years, and saved a fortune. I have no connection with them apart from being a very satisfied customer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I think the R5 launched at about $4500, so my guess is that the R3 will be about $5500-6000, i.e about halfway between the R5 and 1Dxiii. Canon should be able to sell thousands at that price. Heaven only knows how much the R1 will cost - I think we can safely assume that Canon will wait to see what Nikon charge for the Z9, and then add at least another $1000...

Way too expensive for me, I'll stick with my R5 and add a battery grip and a couple more lenses instead.
In the United States, the R5 launched at $3899, and is still that price now.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
But did that include taxes?

I paid GBP 3280 for mine back in March, direct from Hong Kong. The same retailer is now selling it for GBP 3110, including EF adaptor and 3 year warranty. Some people feel "safer" buying through the "official" importer, but over a period of about 10 years I've bought 5 Canon bodies and 6 Canon lenses from the same HK company, saving myself thousands, and I've never had the tiniest problem.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Chip prices have gone up 10-20% in the last month or so. Prices for electronics of all sorts are shooting up. Alas, whatever your guesses are, if you aren't taking that into account, you will be way off. The price will be high. People on forums will scream and yell because they don't understand basic economics, and Canon will probably sell a lot of R3s. Comparing this camera to any Sony is foolish in my opinion. This will be a pro body in every way, built like a tank with integrated grip. No Sony is in that category.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
But did that include taxes?

I paid GBP 3280 for mine back in March, direct from Hong Kong. The same retailer is now selling it for GBP 3110, including EF adaptor and 3 year warranty. Some people feel "safer" buying through the "official" importer, but over a period of about 10 years I've bought 5 Canon bodies and 6 Canon lenses from the same HK company, saving myself thousands, and I've never had the tiniest problem.
No, US advertized prices do not include taxes, which range from 0-10%. Taxes vary by city and state.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
You know what? I am going to drop a little bomb here..
I think that Canon actually might consider competitive pricing on the R3.

R6 costs 2500 euro's, R5 costs 4500 euro's .. I seriously think Canon will make the R3 around 4900 euro's.
Why? Because of the enormous fuss and negative vibe around the 24 mpix. This competitive pricing is an insurance that people will actually buy this camera.
And marketing wise also a good idea, because once you've got the camera, you're eventually going buy the (RF)lenses. :)

So... Two scenarios:

1. Canon listens to the market (=people like us*) and applies a reasonable price somewere between 4000 - 4999,- euro's.
2. Canon won't listen to anyone, says **** them and puts on a Canon pricetag ... 5999,- euro's or even more.

This 1000-2000 euro's will make a huge difference, I might even consider buying one or two if the price is ok.
Makes me feel less sick if I have to sell these camera's after a year or two, when the real 'flagship' comes out. :ROFLMAO:

Canon has made it difficult for themselves now, if the price is high, as we know from Canon, they might risk a massive hate-campaign.
First the 24 mpix debate, now the pricing gone (stays) crazy.. what to like about Canon anymore?

They themselves stated the R3 is NOT ... I repeat: THE R3 IS NOT THE FLAGSHIP CAMERA.
So that means the pricing will not be flagship either. We'll see...

3999 euro's is a good price for a non flagship.
If they do this, I will buy two and trade all my EF lenses for RF.
And I will definitely not be the only one.

Interesting viewpoint. I might caution you, however, if R3 priced at 3999 euro's, most buyers probably won't be able to find one for over a year. I don't believe you are in much danger of finding that price point but hope I eat those words, come Tues., Sep 14.

Upvote 0
If it's 4000$, I guess no one will be able to buy it for the next 12 months.
So it would be dumb of they, since they can milk out 2000$ more of profit.
They don't have unlimited inventory.
Like apple, canon must raise the prices to match it's production capabilities, with actual lower supply of components, and consummer demand ;).
Fair enough.. That’s a good point…
Too cheap will cause a run on the product.
Under normal circumstances a problem, in these times a disaster… ok, I’ll stick to 4999-5999,- euros.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
FWIW.
Yesterday Nokishita confirmed that it is 24.1MP. Following Nokishita for many years now they have a 100% track record. Their information is sourced from servers usually unpublished articles being prepared for once the NDA lift, not random rumors.
sounds reasonable, 24 MP would be a sweet spot for such a camera made for action

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Chip prices have gone up 10-20% in the last month or so. Prices for electronics of all sorts are shooting up. Alas, whatever your guesses are, if you aren't taking that into account, you will be way off. The price will be high.
I agree. This year e.g. went quite well for German premium car makers so far, despite chip shortages. They successfully turned less cars sold into solid profits by upping their prices and/or cutting rebates. Obviously, enough people were willing to pay more for those products.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Shows that Canon can sell this camera still well, despite the overheating "issue" blown up on photog sites. Here in Germany, my local seller offers a rebate of 100 Euros currently, which is not much compared with partly huge rebates they offer for other cameras, the R e.g. dropped now from originally more than 2400 to less then 1600 Euros now.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
So perhaps $5999 US, since the lens prices listed in the tweet are higher than the US dollar prices shown briefly on amazon.com. A bit cheaper than I thought, which is nice.
The Nokishita price includes VAT, so the US pre-tax price could be a lot lower...
Since we don't know the country, we don't know the VAT percentage.

Here are some potential figures:
VAT of 10%: 5489 euros
VAT of 15%: 5184 euros
VAT of 20%: 4879 euros
VAT of 25%: 4574 euros

But, "the page is still being edited" so prices could shoot up!

1631290229246.png

Edit: a subsequent tweet puts the VAT at around 20%, which is 4879 euros.
1631291235464.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0