Canon Hong Kong confirms September 14, 2021 announcement date for the Canon EOS R3

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
They did not, but since the DX1 were about 20MP and for the task they are build for it is the reasonable MP size, the R3 can not be in that range, it has, commercially, and since it was not declared to be 'flagship", somewhat higher. Physical aspects of data transfer rates gussets the upper limit of the sensor. It is as accurate as the "leaked" image size (which was done on purpose if you ask me)
Strange thinking , why does it follow that the R1 would be any different resolution to the R3 ?
Both bodies are likely to be high speed action cameras like the 1DX line.
The R3 is definitely a sports / action camera and is rumoured to be 24mp . Just because Canon doesn't consider the R3 to be their flagship model that doesn't imply that the R1 will be higher resolution.
Canon always has sports/action cameras as their flagships .

You seem to be using wishful thinking because you're obsessed with the idea of Canon making another high resolution camera .

We'll know about the R3's actual resolution next week and we'll have to wait until the R1 is announced to see what Canon chooses for it's specs , I predict in about 3 years time in Paris.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
They did not, but since the DX1 were about 20MP and for the task they are build for it is the reasonable MP size, the R3 can not be in that range, it has, commercially, and since it was not declared to be 'flagship", somewhat higher. Physical aspects of data transfer rates gussets the upper limit of the sensor. It is as accurate as the "leaked" image size (which was done on purpose if you ask me)
Assuming that the sensor size of an R1 has to be similar to the sensor size of the 1Dx series seems risky to me. The R3 is slotted in the same niche (sports/action) as the 1 series DSLRs. Duplicating that same niche in the R1 would require that the niche is large enough to require two different bodies that accomplish essentially the same thing.

If we are into predictions, a safer bet might be to look to the Nikon Z9. Canon and Nikon consistently mirror one another in their flagship cameras. Since the Nikon flagship mirrorless Z9 is expected to be a 45mp stacked sensor, we might guess that Canon will match or exceed the Z9's resolution.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
As near points out, this is hardly a standard consumer camera. Most who will buy it are pro's or dedicated enthusiasts, probably heavily invested in one system.

But there is no A9III...and there likely won't be for a while. That's a really far out rumor; probably someone started it to just mess with Canon and give some people these fantasies of what could be coming...maybe to even keep a few Sony users from switching.

In reality we have the a9III...it's called the A1. That's the logical successor. Sony calls it the A1 as a marketing tactic, and to allow for a big price jump.

We don't even know if Sony will continue the a9 series. Maybe they just continue with the A1 series.

The Sony A1 does overheat in some video use cases...

"I noticed the A1 gets warm basic shooting and video in about 10 minutes of use.

To test further, a simple indoor side to side test on 4K HS 24p 100mbps 4:2:2 10bit against A7s III. After about 22 minutes, the A1 was very warm almost hot (no warning yet but I stopped the recording). The A7s III was cool with no issues."

Read the thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4578842

BTW the A1 also gets less battery life than other Sony's for obvious reasons. And there are a lot of caveats as to its 30 fps...it only works on certain lenses.

The Sony A1 is not some perfect camera. It's been hyped that way from Sony marketing and they've been effective. And the Sony trolls have been working hard at convincing everyone that MP is the sole determinant of a camera's quality.

My guess is that the R3 will outperform the A1 on all factors with the possible exception of the top line resolution.
Just another day at the office for this Canon rep. Dude, the R3 is HALF the resolution of the A1…. You are making a complete fool of yourself here. Making a flagship camera with only 24mpix in 2021 is a mistake. And sales will tell.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Did Sony admit the A1 overheats at 8k in their announcements/marketing materials?

I have not heard any problems with overheating on the A1, Seen tests comparing the 8K shooting to R5 and the A1 could record for 1.5 hours continuously and only shut down because the battery ran out or the memory card was full. The R5 could not record more than 25-30 minutes.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Will my 7 Canon flashes work on other systems? Do Sony or Panasonic even have something with the functionality of my MT-24 EX macro twin flash, which is pretty much a necessity with the MP-E 65 (regardless of what body it’s on)?
Meike and Yongnuo have twin light flashes for multiple systems. I've been keeping an eye on this since my MT-24EX was bought about 10 years ago, used. The MT-26EX looks like a nice improvement, but it's like 3-4x of what I paid for the MT-24EX :/

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2021
On the 14th, or soon after, I will be [pre-]ordering either an R3 or R5 (depending what is announced) so I wondered if there is any news on:

Canon instant rebates coming to EOS R cameras and lenses in September​

Would be good to save a little money :)

Upvote 0
Perhaps it does make sense. As I’ve said repeatedly, Canon has the data to know if it does, whereas we can only speculate and observe that it hasn’t made sense to Canon yet, else they’d have released an APS-C RF-mount camera in the three years since the EOS R line was introduced.

It is not uncommon to attack a (new) market from the top down, where you get the most gross margin for your products, and then move "down" to the higher volume and lower margin products. Bottom-up is another stalwart strategy, used by e.g. Honda and others when they entered the US market for motorcycles and cars.

My speculation would be then that Canon could be deliberately following this strategy. As I see it, the whole RF system is designed to lift the quality and value over the EF system, so a "top-down" strategy would make sense.

Yes, awesome way to make certain no one hears about your new camera launch. A case of tragic timing.
Apple had a 15% market share of smartphones in Q2. So still a majority would be not distrated by fruits.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It is not uncommon to attack a (new) market from the top down, where you get the most gross margin for your products, and then move "down" to the higher volume and lower margin products. Bottom-up is another stalwart strategy, used by e.g. Honda and others when they entered the US market for motorcycles and cars.

My speculation would be then that Canon could be deliberately following this strategy. As I see it, the whole RF system is designed to lift the quality and value over the EF system, so a "top-down" strategy would make sense.
The EOS M was a ‘bottom up’ strategy that started back in 2012.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016

Apple had a 15% market share of smartphones in Q2. So still a majority would be not distrated by fruits.
In Europe Apple holds 30% of the smartphone market. In the USA Apple accounts for 53% of smartphone sales. Whereas, that number increases to 66% in Japan… where Canon is based. Generally, you do not want any big news breaking on the day you are officially launching a new product. You want a slow news day to get maximum coverage.

Worst still, people with iPhones tend to earn more money than those with Android phones, because there are some very affordable Android devices… Not so much the case for Apple. This means there’s a good chance that a nice portion of high end camera buyers likely also own an iPhone. As you may know, some people follow Apple like it’s a cult.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Meike and Yongnuo have twin light flashes for multiple systems. I've been keeping an eye on this since my MT-24EX was bought about 10 years ago, used. The MT-26EX looks like a nice improvement, but it's like 3-4x of what I paid for the MT-24EX :/
I tired the Yongnuo it was not reliable. It was about 3 or 4 years ago, so maybe they have gotten better. I would not do a wedding with one myself. I would be scared of a failure. At times it would just refuse to fire while the 580 and 600 Canon went on without a miss.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I have not heard any problems with overheating on the A1, Seen tests comparing the 8K shooting to R5 and the A1 could record for 1.5 hours continuously and only shut down because the battery ran out or the memory card was full. The R5 could not record more than 25-30 minutes.
Not what dpreview said.

"The basic gist regarding overheating is that, at least in room temperature, there's not much to worry about. The camera easily recorded over an hour of 8K/24p video before overheating, and after a 15-minute cooldown, did it again. If you want slow motion capture, Jordan tested almost 30 minutes of recording at 4K/120p, and after a 15-minute cooldown, got 25 minutes of recording."

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Strange thinking , why does it follow that the R1 would be any different resolution to the R3 ?
Both bodies are likely to be high speed action cameras like the 1DX line.
The R3 is definitely a sports / action camera and is rumoured to be 24mp . Just because Canon doesn't consider the R3 to be their flagship model that doesn't imply that the R1 will be higher resolution.
Canon always has sports/action cameras as their flagships .

You seem to be using wishful thinking because you're obsessed with the idea of Canon making another high resolution camera .

We'll know about the R3's actual resolution next week and we'll have to wait until the R1 is announced to see what Canon chooses for it's specs , I predict in about 3 years time in Paris.
Why strange, if the R3 and and R1 have the same sensor, the sales of one of the cameras will drop and no one will buy it. Just think about it, you have two product, doing about the same thing, one in 6000$ and one is 5000$ who will buy the 6000$ one? To sell both you have to make a difference between them, a difference "big enough" to make someone prefer one over the other.

Thanks for your educated observation about my "obsession" but you are quite mistaken in your observation. My wishful thinking is about a camera that can maintain focus on fast objects that change their motion vectors often, such as birds and insects. Give me an excellent focus on a honey bird hovering in 10MP rather than a 50MP blurred image.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Absolutely. But that was an APS-C sensor design (read: low cost) so a bottom-up strategy makes sense to me.
Canon’s FF MILC path started with the EOS R at $2300, then 5 months later the RP which is the low-cost entry at $1299, then over a year later the R5/R6. That doesn’t seem ‘top down’.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
My random thoughts for the day...

1) Folks are putting too much credence on Canon's words of the R3 not being a flagship. They also said the R5 wasn't a replacement to the 5D4 yet there's been zero chatter about a 5D5, and likely won't be one. Canon still has 1DX3's to sell, they're not stupid, and they don't know the success (or failure) of the R3. I'll say it here, if the R3 is a huge success amongst the 1DX community, an R1 will not be rushed out in any sort of hurry whatsoever.

2) Canon's batting average is not 1.000. Just because Canon makes a decision on something doesn't mean they're going to knock it out the park. This notion that because a decision was made means there's data to back up it's success is foolish. Data helps make a calculated decision but there's no way to know if something will achieve maximum success until...well...until the product hits the market and actual sales metrics can be analyzed.

3) Canon, to some degree, is swayed by the market and what the likes of Sony are doing. We likely wouldn't have seen the EOS R when we did if Sony (and the mirrorless market) wasn't taking a meaningful chunk of the marketshare. Yes, Canon doesn't immediately respond to the market and customer the way Sony does, but let's not pretend Canon is in their own world doing what they deem appropriate regardless of what's going on around them.

4) Speaking of Sony, people need to understand that Canon can't afford to take the risks that Sony does. Canon is a brand known for it's reliability, durability, and function. Sony, until recently, wasn't a camera-world juggernaut (market share clearly tells this story); they're in a much better position to constantly change their products, try new things, and give their loudest customers what they're asking for because if a product fails, it won't be a major PR loss for them. Imagine Canon being experimental with a 1DX3 and it falling on its face at the Olympics, that would be devastating for a company like Canon.

Ahhh, I feel better now. Back to work :-D

P.S. It's fine if you don't agree, these are just my thoughts anyway. ;-)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
My random thoughts for the day...

1) Folks are putting too much credence on Canon's words of the R3 not being a flagship. They also said the R5 wasn't a replacement to the 5D4 yet there's been zero chatter about a 5D5, and likely won't be one. Canon still has 1DX3's to sell, they're not stupid, and they don't know the success (or failure) of the R3. I'll say it here, if the R3 is a huge success amongst the 1DX community, an R1 will not be rushed out in any sort of hurry whatsoever.
I agree with all your points. On the R1, I also believe that Canon is in no rush. In fact, other than dual CFExpress card slots, I'm not even sure what Canon might add to an R1 to distinguish it from the R3 and justify a higher price. It seems that with the 1DxIII and the R3 (if it delivers as promised) Canon has the sports and photojournalism market very well covered.

For me, that raises the question of what niche would an R1 target. An R1 might be compared to a Leica. Built to professional standards, but actually marketed to enthusiasts who are willing to spend top dollar to have the best camera Canon makes. To further argue this, I look at the traditional market for the 1series bodies and there is no doubt that the professional market is shrinking fast and those that remain are being squeezed financially, making a lower cost R3 more appealing.

That means we can throw out all the old assumptions about the 1 series and possibly see specifications that will appeal to high income buyers more than professionals (such as a 45+ mp sensor).

It's also possible that with the R3 and 1Dx III available, Canon would like to get back on the four-year schedule for the 1 series, pushing a development announcement out to 2023 and actual release early in 2024. This would also give them time to perfect any new technologies that could separate the R1 from the R3. That might mean that the R3 will be a one and done series.

Canon does seem to be on an aggressive development cycle for the R series, building out their lens selection by replacing EF lenses with RF counterparts and adding new RF lenses at a rapid pace. They already offer more R bodies than they ever had in full frame DSLRs, with more rumored to be on the way. I'm guessing that the other rumored R bodies (low cost or high megapixel) offer greater return on investment than an R1.

Upvote 0