Canon Hong Kong confirms September 14, 2021 announcement date for the Canon EOS R3

Well being equally fair, the Sony A1 is smaller, matches the R3s’ 30fps, packs a 50MP sensor and shoots 8K… all without overheating! If Canon cannot tackle overheating in a camera with half the resolution and double the size, then the battle is already lost.
I do agree the A1 beats the R3, but I've read lots of reports about the A1 overheating.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes , which is why Canon shouldn't ignore the aps-c market with the RF mount . They have their excellent M mount cameras and EF aps-c but I think it would make sense to make a line of aps-c RF cameras…
Perhaps it does make sense. As I’ve said repeatedly, Canon has the data to know if it does, whereas we can only speculate and observe that it hasn’t made sense to Canon yet, else they’d have released an APS-C RF-mount camera in the three years since the EOS R line was introduced.

Canon needs to compete with the aps-c cameras from Sony,Nikon and Fujifilm
Fujifilm are rumoured to have a new high performance BSI stacked aps-c sensor coming soon too.
Maybe ‘needs to compete with’ means something different to you. Canon’s APS-C ILCs already outsell the other brands in Japan, and based on global numbers that is likely true everywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hardly apples to apples. Flagship vs 2nd tier, not to mention unreleased vs out. Not a very good comparison.
Yes but if the R3 comes in at the same price as the A1 it is a very good comparison. It is the perfect comparison actually. If not the a1 I'm not sure what you would compare the R3 to, a $3800 a9ii vs a $6000 R3?

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Maybe the R3 is not being announced? View attachment 200068Given that Canon have made it clear that the R3 will not be the flagship, it interesting that they have named the event

BORN TO RULE

If it’s ruling, it must be a flagship. R1 anyone?

I was getting some Tolkien vibes. Then I realized their marketing department was recycling old material. Apparently every camera is born to rule, so, not a huge endorsement.

1631055214319.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I'm pleased to see that the Canon Asia event will feature a "veteran wildlife photographer" (his focus is birds). Hopefully this hints at improved animal eye-AF and (since I'm wishful thinking anyway) some new fast supertelephoto primes designed specifically for RF.
1631054697005.png
Some of his work can be seen here:
and here:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm pleased to see that the Canon Asia event will feature a veteran wildlife photographer. Hopefully this hints at improved animal eye-AF and (since I'm wishful thinking anyway) some new fast supertelephoto primes designed specifically for RF.
View attachment 200071
Yes the 400 and 600, plus the 100-500 zoom and maybe the 800 f11.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I wasn't addressing the overheating concern or the price, which we don't know. We do know it is a smaller form factor, and we'll see on the rest.

However, Sony does not shoot 8K w/o overheating. As compared to a stock R5, it goes longer before needing a break, and cools faster, but it does overheat. The R5 at this point is more limited by the 30 min hard stop; you can avoid both that and overheating with a Ninja V+ attached to the R5, but it does not support the Sony A1.
Do you have a Sony A1? Virtually all the reviews I’ve seen say it’s pretty much good to record indefinitely with the battery and memory cards being the limiting factor. And that’s all in camera at 8K resolution.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I was getting some Tolkien vibes. Then I realized their marketing department was recycling old material. Apparently every camera is born to rule, so, not a huge endorsement.

View attachment 200072
I don’t know, I’d rather the slogan be:

BORN TO SERVE

In any case, I’m excited to see this camera.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
To those who were talking about switching systems being too much of a hassle and expense... that is true for people who don't shoot Canon EF mount. If you do shoot Canon EF, then there isn't another system that won't let you use all your lenses. I shot Sony and Panasonic for a combined 1.5-2 years using my Canon lenses. Moved to the S1R when Canon wouldn't give me the resolution I wanted. Moved to Sony when their bonkers tracking system came out and they fixed some things. Now the R5 has Canon running circles around them again, so I'm back. Had I started with any other lens mount, none of that would have been able to happen. The adapters got to be quite good (thanks to Sigma).

For RF mount shooters, the resale value of the RF glass is about 90 percent of new, probably due to the fact that supply of new lenses is slow.

I grant that not a lot of people take the plunge, but there is relatively little cost for taking your Canon EF lenses to another company's body.

All that said, I don't think the R3 will cause much switching. Not everyone's cup of tea, but there is quite little that the other brands are offering that Canon lacks.
There is more to switching systems than compatibility. I know what to expect with Canon. I have no interest in learning about another brand and I know that switching systems isn’t going to make me a better photographer.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
To those who were talking about switching systems being too much of a hassle and expense... that is true for people who don't shoot Canon EF mount. If you do shoot Canon EF, then there isn't another system that won't let you use all your lenses.
Will my 7 Canon flashes work on other systems? Do Sony or Panasonic even have something with the functionality of my MT-24 EX macro twin flash, which is pretty much a necessity with the MP-E 65 (regardless of what body it’s on)?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
^^ This.

There are a (relative) few people who switch systems from time to time or run multiple systems. Sometimes agencies switch, but that's a financial decision with the change forced on photographers (and not welcomed by most, because really who likes change being forced on them?).

Most people stay in-brand.
That is true - especially for the majority of participants in this forum - including me. That said, the switch to RF is similar to when Sony first introduced their alpha series supporting adapted EF lenses. There will always be a personal tipping point for when to switch and a large number of users did switch to Sony full frame years ago.

I personally know of many landscapers who were amazed at the sensor DR and was willing to put up with adapter issues and sell their Canon bodies. Those togs are still with Sony and haven't gone back to Canon/R5 as they - over time - invested in native Sony glass and now the cost to switch for them back to Canon isn't over their tipping point. Many of them are now Sony ambassadors.

For me, the switch to R5/RF lens was a year long process buying/selling with a lot of investment. I stayed with Canon due to weather resistance, ergonomics, native EF glass and innovative RF glass. Include a new underwater housing system then the tipping point to switch would have been lower. A Nauticam R5 housing is USD4k plus ports/dome/arms/strobes etc. Ikelite is only USD1700 :)

Upvote 0
This competiton matters more to the consumer. The R3 points directly at the A9 series—and that's why there should be an A9III.
As near points out, this is hardly a standard consumer camera. Most who will buy it are pro's or dedicated enthusiasts, probably heavily invested in one system.

But there is no A9III...and there likely won't be for a while. That's a really far out rumor; probably someone started it to just mess with Canon and give some people these fantasies of what could be coming...maybe to even keep a few Sony users from switching.

In reality we have the a9III...it's called the A1. That's the logical successor. Sony calls it the A1 as a marketing tactic, and to allow for a big price jump.

We don't even know if Sony will continue the a9 series. Maybe they just continue with the A1 series.
Did Sony admit the A1 overheats at 8k in their announcements/marketing materials?
The Sony A1 does overheat in some video use cases...

"I noticed the A1 gets warm basic shooting and video in about 10 minutes of use.

To test further, a simple indoor side to side test on 4K HS 24p 100mbps 4:2:2 10bit against A7s III. After about 22 minutes, the A1 was very warm almost hot (no warning yet but I stopped the recording). The A7s III was cool with no issues."

Read the thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4578842

BTW the A1 also gets less battery life than other Sony's for obvious reasons. And there are a lot of caveats as to its 30 fps...it only works on certain lenses.

The Sony A1 is not some perfect camera. It's been hyped that way from Sony marketing and they've been effective. And the Sony trolls have been working hard at convincing everyone that MP is the sole determinant of a camera's quality.

My guess is that the R3 will outperform the A1 on all factors with the possible exception of the top line resolution.

Upvote 0