Is September 14 the day we finally get the official Canon EOS R3 announcement?

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Okay. But the R3 will have a pro build. So I can't see there being enough daylight between a low mp R1 and an R3 in terms of features to warrant a large price difference. Not to mention the problem of self competition.
Therefore, the low mp R1 would only make sense to me if the R3 were discontinued.
Oh, and I agree with Jared Polin in his most recent video - the R3 is Canon's new flagship, not the 1DX3.
Which is why the R1 is probably 2 or 3 years away (think Paris 2024) and the R3 is the de facto flagship until then while Canon develop the R1 which I suggest might be
  • similar mp but freakish dynamic range and low light capability ?
  • even faster fps say 40-50 ?
  • global shutter ?
  • quad pixel AF ?
  • pass through handle grip ?
  • twin processors but next generation arm chips similar to apple's new laptop M series ?
  • twin CF Express card slots or maybe no cards at all just wireless transfer ?
  • apps on the touch screen including 3rd party ones ?
  • a sim card ?
  • fully waterproof IP67 ?
  • AF acquisition better than any DSLR ?
  • all cross type sensor autofocusing points ?
  • automatic exposure compensation based on the object that is being tracked colouration (e.g. for a bird whether it's very pale or very dark or somewhere in between) rather than exposing for the overall image ?
  • Flash sync speed of 1/1000th of a second or higher ?
Is that enough differentiation to justify a higher price do you think ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The eos 3 was the same shape and layout but a bit plastically vs the eos 1v was magnesium bodied and full on pro build
The EOS 1 and 1n were both plastic like the 1998 EOS 3, but well finished. The 1v introduced in 2000 was mag alloy and was a result of Canon accepting that the customer wanted a metal body in a top end camera despite the fact that the plastic used by Canon was just as good in reality. (Nikon had continued to use metal). So I wouldn’t read too much into the EOS 3 being plastic and the 1v being mag alloy, it was just how Canon were working at the time. ( And something I personally didn’t like).

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Which is why the R1 is probably 2 or 3 years away (think Paris 2024) and the R3 is the de facto flagship until then while Canon develop the R1 which I suggest might be
  • similar mp but freakish dynamic range and low light capability ?
  • even faster fps say 40-50 ?
  • global shutter ?
  • quad pixel AF ?
  • pass through handle grip ?
  • twin processors but next generation arm chips similar to apple's new laptop M series ?
  • twin CF Express card slots or maybe no cards at all just wireless transfer ?
  • apps on the touch screen including 3rd party ones ?
  • a sim card ?
  • fully waterproof IP67 ?
  • AF acquisition better than any DSLR ?
  • all cross type sensor autofocusing points ?
  • automatic exposure compensation based on the object that is being tracked colouration (e.g. for a bird whether it's very pale or very dark or somewhere in between) rather than exposing for the overall image ?
  • Flash sync speed of 1/1000th of a second or higher ?
Is that enough differentiation to justify a higher price do you think ?
I think many of those features are possible but in a high mp camera. Except 40-50 fps. At that point you're just shooting video. Many of these features such as high flash sync, dynamic range speed are better suited to a high mp studio and landscape camera.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Every year when Sony does their financial report, they move the camera section to a different division. So it's impossible to infer how well it does year over year. The organizational musical chairs they are doing makes me think it is as profitable as their Vaio division was.

Manny Ortiz said on his channel that Sony didn't give him free gear or money, but that they facilitated getting big jobs, like the work he did for Walmart. I strongly suspect that other influencer get both money and gear, but I haven't seen any one of them going on record about that, beyond generic "We all know how this works" statements.
Another persistent rumour is that Sony gives resellers a better deal, which is likely why stores put Sony front and center.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Genuine question: what is the evidence for paid Sony trolls claimed by various posters?

On a personal note: A couple of years ago I was a member of a FB forum having to do with amateur photography in the DFW area of Texas. A person asked: "Which brand should I choose?"

I simply remarked that one should choose whatever brand the output colors looked best to them personally. Not a big deal, and I mentioned no brands. Doesn't make any difference to me which brand one chooses. I was suddenly attacked by anyone and everyone on the forum that owned a Sony. The main mod for the group turned out to be a Sony ambassador in Texas. He was the head honcho in the attack. I came here and made a post about how crazy the Sony crowd is. That head honcho mod? He tracked me down here, created an account, and began attacking me here. So, he was a paid Sony Ambassador, moderated a photography forum open to everyone, and trolled. :) That's the paid troll I am aware of. Are there more? There are nuts everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

On a personal note: A couple of years ago I was a member of a FB forum having to do with amateur photography in the DFW area of Texas. A person asked: "Which brand should I choose?"

I simply remarked that one should choose whatever brand the output colors looked best to them personally. Not a big deal, and I mentioned no brands. Doesn't make any difference to me which brand one chooses. I was suddenly attacked by anyone and everyone on the forum that owned a Sony. The main mod for the group turned out to be a Sony ambassador in Texas. He was the head honcho in the attack. I came here and made a post about how crazy the Sony crowd is. That head honcho mod? He tracked me down here, created an account, and began attacking me here. So, he was a paid Sony Ambassador, moderated a photography forum open to everyone, and trolled. :) That's the paid troll I am aware of. Are there more? There are nuts everywhere.
I remember the thread you set up about it. https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/the-sony-user-pile-on.37680/ as I asked you whether you used CanonFanBoy to join in the FB :). The guy did track you down but he denied being paid by Sony. Do you have hard evidence he was a Sony Ambassador?

If anyone has any questions about my actions or what I do for a living, just ask. I'm the most transparent and open person because I like helping people and have nothing to hid. I'm NOT making 45k a year as an ambassador. I'm not making ANY money from Sony as an ambassador. Such baseless lies being spread here by someone bitter because not everyone agreed with his opinion.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The EOS 1 and 1n were both plastic like the 1998 EOS 3, but well finished. The 1v introduced in 2000 was mag alloy and was a result of Canon accepting that the customer wanted a metal body in a top end camera despite the fact that the plastic used by Canon was just as good in reality. (Nikon had continued to use metal). So I wouldn’t read too much into the EOS 3 being plastic and the 1v being mag alloy, it was just how Canon were working at the time. ( And something I personally didn’t like).
I am very impressed with the built quality and durability of the 'plastic' EF 100L Macro.. It seems to me well specified engineering plastic is capable of doing the job better and lighter than metal if the components are well designed. They are certainly more chip resistant!

There are a few 'destruction test' videos on YouTube of Rebels and they are astonishingly resistant to drops and careless handling, far more so than the 'brick' 1 series bodies which I have personally split open after comparatively modest drops.

Materials engineering is a science that has progressed immeasurably over the last 50 years.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
@CanonFanBoy Dude, why are you letting some random Sony person live inside your head rent free for years and years? Just move on.
Um... I'm not. Alan asked a question. I provided an answer. Got a prob with that? Maybe you should scroll on. Sounds like this bothers you far more than I. lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The YouTube link gives his name as Francisco Joel Hernandez and says he is a Sony Ambassador, but there is no one of that name listed as a Sony Ambassador on their website - see: https://alphauniverse.com/ambassadors/ Perhaps he was one once but was no longer when he declared he wasn't? It's a bit of a mystery.
I wouldn't know. He used to be listed. maybe Sony dumped him for attitude? lol

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I am very impressed with the built quality and durability of the 'plastic' EF 100L Macro.. It seems to me well specified engineering plastic is capable of doing the job better and lighter than metal if the components are well designed. They are certainly more chip resistant!

There are a few 'destruction test' videos on YouTube of Rebels and they are astonishingly resistant to drops and careless handling, far more so than the 'brick' 1 series bodies which I have personally split open after comparatively modest drops.

Materials engineering is a science that has progressed immeasurably over the last 50 years.
Could be that flexibility is better for drops than rigidity.

Upvote 0
Another persistent rumour is that Sony gives resellers a better deal, which is likely why stores put Sony front and center.
It's not just Sony. I work for a well-known camera retailer and the companies are constantly trying to outbid the other for spaces in retail. However, Sony and others like Nikon & Fuji do give us crazy incentives to buy their gear. The only one that doesn't do it is Canon.

Unrelated to my reply now, The R3 is going to sell well. Based on my experience to talking to all types of Photographers all day, there are a surprisingly wild amount of people that don't want a R1 level camera. (Which I can understand.) Professionals want something reliable, fast/accurate and built to last and if the R1 can at least meet those expectations then it's a win for them imo. Everyone wants an R1 because it competes in the spec war game people love to engage in, but the R3 is going to give Canon owners a taste of what a stacked sensor is capable of in today's age.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
An announcement is one thing but! When will buyers actually get their hands on one of these bodies for example the not so recent now but, lens such as the Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L IS USM are still pre-order in the UK
In regards to availability of stock, I wrote to Canon Australia and to simply ask when will their Canon RF600 F4 tele will be available. I got this rather moronic response:
"Thank you for contacting Canon Australia.

To better assist you, please provide us the following information below.

Exact lens model:
Retailer:
Branch of retailer:
Order number:

You may also attached the copy of proof of purchase.

If you require further information or assistance please reply to this email or contact Canon on 13 13 83, select option 2 then option 3 and quote reference 03338791.

Regards,

(Signed)"

It was a rather pointless exercise.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The R1 ain't gonna' be a wildlife camera.
Nonsense. The R1 will be a multi-purpose professional camera, and IMO will appeal strongly to wildlife photographers who currently use either 1Dx series or R5. The requirements of wildlife photographers include very high durability and weather-sealing, strong performance at high ISO, fast burst speeds with a huge buffer, and fast and consistent AF performance. Until now we have had to accept the cropping limitations of 20MP, but the R1 is likely to have 40+MP, so will tick just about every box for wildlife photographers.

Upvote 0