Canon EOS R3 to have a 30mp sensor? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The biggest question surrounding the upcoming Canon EOS R3 is what the megapixel count will be for stills shooters.
Over the weekend two anonymous sources told me that the camera will sport a 30mp sensor. One of the sources did say “around 30mp”.
Since this comes from unknown places, please treat it as such for now. If I receive confirmation from a known source, I will let you know.

Canon EOS R3 Specifications:

Multi-Controller & Smart Controller
Vari-Angle Touch Screen
NEW accessory shoe
Wifi 5GHz
High speed 30fps electronic shutter with AF/AE tracking + RAW shooting at this speed
AF down to -7.0 EV
8 Stops Coordinated Control IS with Optical IS and In-Body IS
4K Canon Log3​
Oversampling 4K
Internal RAW video
Inclusion of cars and motorbikes in AF tracking technology
RAW internal movie recording
Speedlite shooting with electronic shutter
The same weather sealing as the EOS-1D series
LP-E19...

Continue reading...

Aug 26, 2015
Seems very likely, it is a new generation sensor, so it won't have the MP count of the 1DX III or the much cheaper R6.
I am not sure about the video specs though, would it be able to shoot 6.7K 60p RAW video or limited up to 30p, with 60p in crop mode?

The rumoured C500S is supposedly capable of 8k60p FF video also with a stacked BSI sensor, so maybe it is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
What is an anonymous source? Someone who just contacted you and told you that number? If he knows the number, why does he just say "around"?

We already know that it probably does not have 8K, because 4K was mentioned. So it has less than the 39.3 megapixels needed for 8K, which is very good news.

If it has 30 megapixels, the question is if it is worth buying know or if it would be better two save another $2000 or so more and wait another year or so with the R1 with a much better 20 mepapixel or so sensor. How much time or money would the upgrade from 30 to 20 megapixels be worth?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon should make a 1 Series computer keyboard for those who type furiously about how these cameras make no sense because it doesn't fit into their world. Weather sealing (for tears) replaceable keys (for repeated CAPS LOCK pounding). The red ring will be around the eyes after hours on CR pushing and professing their singularly held diatribe against lower MP bodies.

• Haha
Reactions: 28 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The 30mp sensor seems a bit boring to me. Is this supposed to be an update over the R5? I’m not so sure it is. Can we assume “raw” would have to be a crop, since oversampled 4K would not be “raw”?
This is shaping up to be a pass for me. I’ll wait and see what the R1 brings before making any decisions. I’m in no hurry. My current cameras are pretty awesome.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Seems like a pretty good resolution for a camera that will be capable of 30fps. A reasonable increase over Sony A9, I think this will be a hit for those that like to carry around a brick of a camera. I'm happy with the R5 and the Sony A7RIV at least until I can afford an A1. Either way it will be nice to have options for fast electronic shutters with both Canon and Sony.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
What is an anonymous source? Someone who just contacted you and told you that number? If he knows the number, why does he just say "around"?

We already know that it probably does not have 8K, because 4K was mentioned. So it has less than the 39.3 megapixels needed for 8K, which is very good news.

If it has 30 megapixels, the question is if it is worth buying know or if it would be better two save another $2000 or so more and wait another year or so with the R1 with a much better 20 mepapixel or so sensor. How much time or money would the upgrade from 30 to 20 megapixels be worth?

Why wait another 1 or 2 years or even more for a camera which we don't know nothing about? 30 megapixels is 50 percent more than 20, quite significant and with all the other updates it will be the best Canon body.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
Canon should make a 1 Series computer keyboard for those who type furiously about how these cameras make no sense because it doesn't fit into their world. Weather sealing (for tears) replaceable keys (for repeated CAPS LOCK pounding). The red ring will be around the eyes after hours on CR pushing and professing their singularly held diatribe against lower MP bodies.
Seriously. I saw this headline and immediately wanted to click into the comments section to watch the rage/drama unfold like a guilty pleasure reality TV show. Things have actually been pretty tame so far. I'll check back on this thread later to see if it gets more entertaining.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The 30mp sensor seems a bit boring to me. Is this supposed to be an update over the R5? I’m not so sure it is. Can we assume “raw” would have to be a crop, since oversampled 4K would not be “raw”?
Canon RAW is always full resolution, full width of the sensor, DCI aspect ratio (5.5K on the 1DX III, 8K on the R5).
So here it should be 6.7K, and it may be capable of doing it at 60p (like the 1DX III) or limited to 30p (like the R5).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0