Canon Hong Kong confirms September 14, 2021 announcement date for the Canon EOS R3

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
There is more to switching systems than compatibility. I know what to expect with Canon. I have no interest in learning about another brand and I know that switching systems isn’t going to make me a better photographer.
I so agree with the last statement. Personally, I would only change systems if I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that such a system change would absolutely make me a better photographer and help me to overwhelmingly make better photos. It doesn't really matter to me whether most find the Canon or the Sony system to be better. I only care whether my Canon gear works for me, which it has since the early 90's, at which time I changed from Minolta, after twenty yrs in their camp. Is Sony gear sometimes better or more capable than my personal Canon gear? Quite possibly but that doesn't change how much I have enjoyed shooting Canon all these years. I have no problem with people who love their Sony gear. Good for you. If we follow many of the posts here on CR, it's very obvious that a few of them have a presence in both systems, with great results. I have no need to brag about my Canon gear being superior, nor do I have any compulsion to point out the faults thereof or dismiss Sony's offerings, which are obviously quite capable. While my Canon gear may not be perfect, it's perfect for me, works for me and I just don't want to have to learn or invest in a new system, again. If we are honest with ourselves, one will have to admit that Sony's constant improvement with their mirrorless offerings, their successful cameras and ever increasing sales of same, directly caused Canon to re-evaluate their business model, IMHO and is arguably why we are able to now buy R5/6's and more. I am so glad to be the recipient of all this great tech being produced by all Mfgs. I just love it.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
What makes you say the A1 beats the R3 ?
We still don't know all the specs including resolution and no one has reviewed it let alone compared it to the A1
Well I would say that the R3 will last far longer than an A1, especially if one uses it in tough environmental conditions. If you want something to hold up, choose the Canon.

And if you've ever used a Sony, the menu's are a nightmare, even the new menus. They just don't get usability.

Here's an example. Let's say you want to use the feature to have the shutter cover the sensor when you turn the camera off and change lenses. On the Canon you simply turn the feature on. On the Sony, you can't just do that. You have to take it out of electronic shutter mode, and back into mechanical shutter mode, and then turn the feature on. Keep in mind this is a camera pretty much designed to be used in e shutter. And there's nothing in the menu to alert you to that. It's a minor point, but when you amplify that by many tiny unfriendly design decisions, then it matters.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Yes, awesome way to make certain no one hears about your new camera launch. A case of tragic timing.
Huh? Does anybody care about iPhone/Watches anymore? Certainly not anyone in the market for an R3.

Upvote 0
Yes, awesome way to make certain no one hears about your new camera launch. A case of tragic timing.
Why? These are two very different products and markets. It's absurd to think one subtracts from the other.

I want to watch both events online and I will. It's not like our brains can't handle two announcements in one day.

I actually think the two launches on one day makes both announcements more exciting.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Another 20 something MP camera..... guess they didn't hear about the Z9
Guess you’ve never heard of competitive intelligence. I’m sure a small number of key folks at Canon knew the pertinent details about the Z9 before many people within Nikon.

Nikon’s market share has been dropping substantially. So more likely, Canon isn’t really worried about competition from the Z9.

Upvote 0
Yes, neuroanatomist, we know you're committed to buying the R3, no matter the cost. You've made that quite clear in many of your posts. It's your money and that's your prerogative. You are a perfect Canon buyer and they, no doubt love you. Some of the rest of us however, have a ceiling, whatever that might be, once exceeded, that may cause us to just say no thanks. There are many people out there that are perfectly willing to pay over MSRP for a new car, just so they can be the first car enthusiast to own one and that's okay. I just don't happen to be one of them. There are many good arguments for both viewpoints. It's all in one's perspective, wants, needs, budgetary constraints, if any, etc. By gosh, if you want to buy the camera for me, I'll take it, no matter the cost. Since, however, that's not going to happen and I will have to take out my own bill fold to pay for it, I may just be a little more selective before pulling out the plastic from MY billfold. In any case, good luck with your new R3 purchase and I hope you don't have to wait long to get it, once announced and pre-orders become available from your merchant of choice. I've always had great respect for the first adopters that step up to the plate and break ground for the rest of us. Personally, I'm tired of all the dangling carrots. Just show me the baby, whatever the MP's, whatever the price, whatever the whatever.
That is why they make many models of cameras from $1000 to almost $7000. A model to suit every budget.

Upvote 0
Another 20 something MP camera..... guess they didn't hear about the Z9
Guess you’ve never heard of competitive intelligence. I’m sure a small number of key folks at Canon knew the pertinent details about the Z9 before many people within Nikon.

Nikon’s market share has been dropping substantially. So more likely, Canon isn’t really worried about competition from the Z9.
And Nikon's drop in market share almost perfectly matches the gains by Sony. So Nikon needs to be more concerned with Sony than any other competitor.

I do agree that the Z9 is likely to be better than the Sony A1.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So you think no potential R3 owners have iPhones or Apple watches?
No, I think most people, whether they are potential R3 owners or not, don't care about the miniscule differences that a new iPhone or Apple watch will have over the previous 10 versions.

• Haha
Upvote 0
So you think no potential R3 owners have iPhones or Apple watches?
I would expect that many potential R3 owners use Apple products since they appreciate quality brands! :)

And good news...one can watch both events...or read about both...our brains are pretty big and can do that sort of wizardry! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Absolutely no reason to order from a large vendor unless there's no store in your area. They won't get shipments any sooner than small local ones, and the waiting list will be longer.
There absolutely is. When you use the B&H payboo card and order from B&H you don't pay tax. That's almost a $500 savings on a $6500 camera.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I would expect that many potential R3 owners use Apple products since they appreciate quality brands! :)

And good news...one can watch both events...or read about both...our brains are pretty big and can do that sort of wizardry! :)
While I like Canon cameras, they are not a luxury brand like Apple. I think the equivalent to Apple in the camera world would be Leica.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
While I like Canon cameras, they are not a luxury brand like Apple. I think the equivalent to Apple in the camera world would be Leica.
I find that when spec’ing out a Lenovo that’s equivalent to a Mac, the price is about the same. The difference is that you can’t get a Mac that’s bulky, slow and cheap.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
When did Canon announce the sensor resolution of the R1? I missed that.
They did not, but since the DX1 were about 20MP and for the task they are build for it is the reasonable MP size, the R3 can not be in that range, it has, commercially, and since it was not declared to be 'flagship", somewhat higher. Physical aspects of data transfer rates gussets the upper limit of the sensor. It is as accurate as the "leaked" image size (which was done on purpose if you ask me)

Upvote 0
The Sony A1 does overheat in some video use cases...
"I noticed the A1 gets warm basic shooting and video in about 10 minutes of use.
To test further, a simple indoor side to side test on 4K HS 24p 100mbps 4:2:2 10bit against A7s III. After about 22 minutes, the A1 was very warm almost hot (no warning yet but I stopped the recording). The A7s III was cool with no issues."
Read the thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4578842
A fascinating thread!
"After about 22 minutes, the A1 was very warm almost hot (no warning yet"
"If it's anything like other Sony cameras, you can reduce the temperature warning sensitivity in the menu and film for much longer. Sony is very conservative."
"I soon noticed the heat after moderately heavy use (30fps stills). The LCD got so warm once, it was uncomfortable to hold my nose against it while using the EVF (left eye)"
"Notes when [Auto Pwr OFF Temp.] is set to [High]
- Do not shoot while holding the camera in your hand. Use a tripod.
-Using the camera while holding it in your hand for a long period of time may cause low-temperature burns"
"The machine shut off after 13 minutes recording 4K 60P 100M 10bit 422 with Auto Power OFF Temp sets to Standard"
"10 minutes in 4k in Standard temp shutdown and 30 minutes 4k High temp shutdown. According to the official guide from Sony above"
"I just got my A1 this week. When shooting only photos, no video at all, the body gets extremely hot. It's objectively very hot. I'm shooting on low mode, so no 30 FPS buffer-filling bursts. It shouldn't get that hot in just a half hour of shooting... indoors, maybe 75 degrees max, shooting theatre."

But perhaps it has improved...
"I am happy to report that the new firmware 1.10 has made a huge improvement in the heating issue."

Upvote 0