Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

Has anyone had experience using the mirrorless cameras with studio strobes? I have an RP and what I don't like about using studio strobes in an indoor setting is that if the room is dark and your modeling lights are tungsten or halogen balanced, the live image in the viewfinder is yellowish, since your white balance is set to flash or daylight. Does Canon have a way of independently setting the viewfinder white balance to be different than the capture white balance?
I don’t know what lights your using but all my modeling lamps are daylight/flash balanced, I rarely use modeling lamps anyways except maybe to initially set up my lights. But when shooting in studio set the cameras default exposure simulation to off and you’ll be able to see a bright image on the lcd the same as you would if it were a dslr in studio. You won’t see the actual ambient light settings but if your shooting in a studio your probably wanting to nullify the ambient light contamination anyways. If not and you want to combine the ambient and the flash exposure together, leave the default exposure simulation on. I’ve set up one of the “C” menu functions as a quick way to go from normal ambient to studio flash only conditions back and forth quickly.

Upvote 0
My biggest question would be how much IS improvement the IBIS would bring to an old EF lens like my 200-700 f/2.8 IS. Would it work well together or might it even work against it? I imagine the IS of the lens trying to bring a stable image onto the sensor and then the sensor moves to compensate camera shake. That might only work if the IS of the lens and the IBIS would be somehow coordinated. The thing I care most about when I buy a new camera or lens is the ability to get handheld shots with even less light than before. If my 70-200 could compensate two or three stops more, that would be a huge improvement.

I would be interested in buying a 200-700 2.8 if you know where I can find one.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
My biggest question would be how much IS improvement the IBIS would bring to an old EF lens like my 200-700 f/2.8 IS. Would it work well together or might it even work against it? I imagine the IS of the lens trying to bring a stable image onto the sensor and then the sensor moves to compensate camera shake. That might only work if the IS of the lens and the IBIS would be somehow coordinated. The thing I care most about when I buy a new camera or lens is the ability to get handheld shots with even less light than before. If my 70-200 could compensate two or three stops more, that would be a huge improvement.
the answer should be known because the r5 existys already. I never saw anyone comment on it though. if there is an issue just turn the IS off and rely on ibis
at worst

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
the answer should be known because the r5 existys already. I never saw anyone comment on it though. if there is an issue just turn the IS off and rely on ibis
at worst
Which you can't do. It's all or nothing, turning off in-lens IS also turns off IBIS. This is one of the reasons I'm replacing my EF100L macro with the RF100L, the EF-IS+IBIS doesn't seem to be an improvement. The 1:1.4 magnification ratio got me to 99% of preordering it, the coordinated IS pushed it to 100% :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Which you can't do. It's all or nothing, turning off in-lens IS also turns off IBIS. This is one of the reasons I'm replacing my EF100L macro with the RF100L, the EF-IS+IBIS doesn't seem to be an improvement. The 1:1.4 magnification ratio got me to 99% of preordering it, the coordinated IS pushed it to 100

I thought that was the point of the firmware update for the 3 RF zooms only. Turn off IS to turn off IBIS. Are you sure that is the case for EF lens. Like i said I never seen any experimentation on EF IS mixed with IBIS.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Which you can't do. It's all or nothing, turning off in-lens IS also turns off IBIS. This is one of the reasons I'm replacing my EF100L macro with the RF100L, the EF-IS+IBIS doesn't seem to be an improvement. The 1:1.4 magnification ratio got me to 99% of preordering it, the coordinated IS pushed it to 100% :)
We have to get Canon to fix this.
I would be willing to install Magic Lantern just for that feature.

Upvote 0
Maybe get it right in camera ?
Ha! Trust me know what I’m doing. I do high end portraiture and fine art composite works. Post production is a large part of the process. That can’t be done starting from a .jpg. Sometimes I layer multiple exposures to get a higher bit count for tonal graduation. I have shot corporate events where the final use is just social media. For that work .jpg is ok. I would still shoot raw though and convert later to .jpg just in case they really liked an image and wanted to use it in print media. But the original post was pretty adamant about people only needing to shoot .jpg as a backup so I had to retort as they were speaking in absolutes and that’s nonsense.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Said this before, if someone is writing to the second card slot as a backup, just write jpg to the second card. No risk of losing the work, but no slowdown either (or at least minimal slowdown) if you are writing sequentially to both cards then wait for a break in the action and put in a new card in the first slot. People act like this is some insurmountable challenge.
I've only wanted to have raw files and so it never occurred to me to consider a jpg as a backup. But when I want to allow the maximum shooting speed without buffering delays, I think I'll go ahead and use your suggestion of jpg backups to the 2nd slower slot. After all, a jpg backup might be better than no backup in case of a main card malfunction (I say "might" because I detest jpg and the lack of epic post improvement ability on it, but sometimes the image in a shot turns out so great that you can tolerate a poor jpg encoding of it).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I got the Prograde Cfexpress b/sd reader since I'd rather pop either card out and into the reader to transfer files than to hook a cable up to the R5 and it's fragile connector. The Prograde reader transfers files so much faster than the wired R5 & Canon software that it makes you marvel at how good one is while the other is so slow and cumbersome.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
This thing is going to be a monster. I can't even imagine what else they would cram into the R1 later on. Higher MP sensor that does 8K? And Besides that? Interested to see the video frame rates this thing can manage. Could be THE most perfect hybrid. This could easily replace my 1DX2, EOS R and R6. This camera with a C70 sounds like it would cover all the bases (because I often shoot video with TWO rigs simultaneously)
What else could they cram in for the R1? Well, they'd have me at QP AF!!! :oops:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well Canon obviously think this is the case which is why this professional sports camera has only 30mp and it's capable of 30fps rather than only 20fps like the R5 and it's no accident that they're the number one camera company selling more cameras than Sony and Nikon combined .
Engineering is full of compromises and to make a camera class leading in terms of speed lower resolution helps
To make a super high resolution camera then lower speeds help.
Technology has improved but physics hasn't : smaller files can be processed faster than larger files .
Try using a medium format camera for high speed action

It's strange. Your point would be SPOT on if we lived in a universe where the A1 wasn't released 3 months ago. Unfortunately for you, this is not the universe we currently reside in and your "point" reads like you lived 2015....... 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 blew right by you and you wound up in 2021.

Upvote 0
I think for the vast majority, 30 MP will be enough. And there is "Super Resolution" from Adobe and similar from others to increase resolution if needed. This kind of computational image processing will only get better and will make high-resolution cameras mostly unnecessary.

Except that same technology can just as well apply to and make better a 50 mp image as it can a 30. Point not taken.

Upvote 0
I don’t really care either way, BUT the reality is that every process requires compute cycles and power resulting in a series of trade offs. While you are correct we have new technology it does not provide unlimited capabilities. A Lot of that new compute power has been absorbed by things like AF, AI, iBIS, etc, etc. You are looking at a component because you place value on resolution and forgetting these are complex system EFFECTIVELY delivering capabilities we only dreamed about 10 years back. It is also clear you may not understand market segmentation. People will vote with their dollars when the product is released and you have 1 (2?) votes like other buyers.

BTW - If the specs are accurate, I will pre-order the R3 on announcement. My personal threshold for a quick decision was 30mp or more sensor to allow some crop space. I can always cancel if I don’t like the full details and reviews. I decided not to buy the 1dx III because live view shooting provided a hint of what was next in mirrorless. i sold my 1dx II and made the full jump to R5 / RF Lenses. I also made that trade off from f2.8 to f4 glass to save size/weight. I held off buying a second body R waiting on the R1. Sounds like the R3 will work for now. I also love the 1 series type form factors. While grips help, a 1 series has a different feel.

Like I told the other guy, your point would be well taken before the A1 came out 3-4 months ago. Now it just reads like you're pretending it doesn't exist. News for you. It does. It's real. people actually already use it and it performs all these tasks quite handily.

BTW - It will be a cold day in hell or me turning 90 years old before I give up light capturing ability because I can feel an extra pound on my shoulder. What can I say? I like taking pictures. Lol Different strokes, I guess, eh?

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
SDexpress continuous write speed will probably be as fast as any of your CFexpress cards or when Xsfering to a PC. Canon is on the memory card committee. They are fully aware of what will be happening in the memory card arena. There is only 4 manufacturer cards compatible and tested with Canon's CFexpress bus for high resolution video that wont give video recording flags. Basically a crap shoot. And they arent sold locally at Best Buy either
And lets not even debate the card reader crap. Companies struggling to sell cameras and then consumers have to search for card readers.

While the SD Express 8.0 standard is just a bit slower (just under 4GB/s) than the current CF Express hardware in the field, that standard was only finalized in May; the 7.0 standard for which new hardware is just coming out is 1/4 that speed. Canon probably can't yet access sufficient hardware for 7.0 if they wanted to.

Further, no one is talking SD Express on this camera, just SD. And on previous amateur/pro transitional cameras, Canon dumbed SD down with earlier-generation SD controllers. Basically a nod to people who pick up a used body and sabotage themselves by buying only crappy off-brand SD media--the same folks who visit forums and complain their camera isn't fast enough, and it wrecks their cards, and they bought a card reader but that didn't work well either, and they want Canon to make a better camera with features beyond the current technology but sell it new for $17, and... ::whining continues as I walk away::

Multiple cards of the same brand, type, and capacity are easier to manage with multiple bodies, and dual write is faster because they share the controller (probably slightly less heat generation too). I currently don't give a crap about card readers: I'll download while I eat dinner anyway and a high-end camera connects directly to a network (as this one does via Wifi 5G) or to a computer, or both. I don't give a crap about shitty off-brand cards of any type, and buy from the few reliable manufacturers who test their hardware prior to shipping. I'm not going to risk a shoot for the sake of a few pennies. I also am not going to overpay by driving to a Best Buy: Adorama prices lower, buys their cards directly from the manufacturers instead of from Sticky Louie in an alley, supports professionals, and ships free to my door.

If Canon eventually put ultra-fast dual SD Express 8.0 in, that might be fine too. I don't see that possibility very soon as it is years until that hardware is delivered, and because Canon is a heavy promoter of CF Express. In the meantime, I would rather see a camera designed for the amateur/pro transitional market (like the Canon R3) outfitted with hardware reflecting its target market, namely, dual CF Express slots.

Upvote 0
That might change with the Ninja V+.
My understanding of the Ninja V+ is that it wasn't very clear what could be recorded externally. The bandwith for 8k raw is too much for the HDMI 2.0 port. Unless Canon somehow managed to include a HDMI 2.1 port before the rest of the world (including PS5 etc). I think that they would have promoted future capabilities at the time if this was true or stated that there would be upgrades available at a future date.

8k IPB light is a different story though which can be recorded internally at 10 bit on a V60 SD card similar to 4k60 IPB (non light)

Canon didn't provide a lower bit rate option for 4K120 so it remains 1880Mb/s and highly unlikely that the Ninja V+ can record... but hey, it would be great if it did!

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Like I told the other guy, your point would be well taken before the A1 came out 3-4 months ago. Now it just reads like you're pretending it doesn't exist. News for you. It does. It's real. people actually already use it and it performs all these tasks quite handily.

BTW - It will be a cold day in hell or me turning 90 years old before I give up light capturing ability because I can feel an extra pound on my shoulder. What can I say? I like taking pictures. Lol Different strokes, I guess, eh?
I think we need to see both cameras side by side to determine plus / minus between the two systems. I would like to know if the R3 gave up a higher res sensor to achieve better overall capabilities at all settings in AF, high speed shooting, ISO performance, etc. For me, it is about the overall system vs one component. I have 40x60 prints from cropped 20mp 1dxII files that people seem to like. Maybe it’s just the subject. If the A1 can deliver equal or superior performance across all major functions without oddball limitations, your comment has merit. I definitely prefer the 1d/R3 body style over the A1 even if you add a grip. The other question you might ask - is the R3 competing with the A1, A9II or both? Canon has stated the R1 will be their flagship camera. The reviews and comparison in real life shooting should be interesting.

As you said about lenses, different strokes. I do this for fun and am fortunate my career paid for my hobby. I have been the full route with multiple iterations of the f2.8 trinity and big whites. I even had the original EF 600mm f4 L IS @14 lbs. Some times it is nice to move fast & light. Drop me a note when you hit 90 and let me know how it is working for you.I

Update:
Dpreview had a lot of good things to say about the A1, but here are a few of those trade offs I mentioned above. There may be other restriction.
  • Rear screen a bit small, low-res against similarly priced competitors
  • 30fps bursts only available in JPEG/HEIF/lossy compressed Raw
  • 30fps bursts are lens-dependent
  • High-res shot modes require desktop software to combine images; no motion correction yet available
  • EVF drops in resolution during C-AF, or if you choose high FPS modes (probably still great resolution)
  • Users must manually select between human, animal or birds for Eye AF
  • Battery life is just okay compared to other flagships
We will see if R3 has similar restrictions during high performance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
My understanding of the Ninja V+ is that it wasn't very clear what could be recorded externally. The bandwith for 8k raw is too much for the HDMI 2.0 port. Unless Canon somehow managed to include a HDMI 2.1 port before the rest of the world (including PS5 etc). I think that they would have promoted future capabilities at the time if this was true or stated that there would be upgrades available at a future date.

8k IPB light is a different story though which can be recorded internally at 10 bit on a V60 SD card similar to 4k60 IPB (non light)

Canon didn't provide a lower bit rate option for 4K120 so it remains 1880Mb/s and highly unlikely that the Ninja V+ can record... but hey, it would be great if it did!
Atomos clearly stated 8K ProRes RAW from the R5.

Upvote 0