Canon Inc. releases Q3 2023 Financial Results

Sep 20, 2020
Can you give an example of depreciation?
Cameras do better than most electronics but they still depreciate pretty quickly.
The price of the R5 just recently started to drop but it normally would have dropped a lot sooner.
All of Canon's DSLRs have finally dropped to be about on par with their mirrorless equivalents.
This does not usually apply to lenses but all of the Canon EF lenses that I own have significantly dropped in price just to piss me off.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Ask the car manufacturers about the risks of the JIT. But you'd better skip the Volkswagen. :-D
Yeah, they could not manufacture cars due to the lack of computer chips.
It is not like cars rum off the latest and greatest computer chips so this was a complete lack of inventory problem of a component that only makes up a small fraction of the cost of a car.

Upvote 0
Cameras do better than most electronics but they still depreciate pretty quickly.
The price of the R5 just recently started to drop but it normally would have dropped a lot sooner.
All of Canon's DSLRs have finally dropped to be about on par with their mirrorless equivalents.
This does not usually apply to lenses but all of the Canon EF lenses that I own have significantly dropped in price just to piss me off.
I am not sure if deprecation is the right word though. Product lifecycle normally has a premium for initial buyers, then a normal production run, moving to cashcow when production is optimised followed by end-of-sale. The cost is up at the beginning, flat when R&D is being amortised, optimal when R&D costs are fully amortised then higher with final runs.
The price to customer is a marketing decision. I mentioned exchange rates as the USD has appreciated significantly against a basket of currencies including the Yen. I am seeing R5 specials locally under AUD5k but still a lot of volatility.
The 5Div was still commanding a premium vs the R last I saw. I didn't quite understand the price difference but I guess some pros want to replace their 5D until the R1 (maybe) comes out.

Upvote 0