Canon Inc. releases Q3 2023 Financial Results

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released their financial reports for Q3 of 2023. Things are looking pretty good for Canon, the camera segment saw growth of 4.9% over the same period in 2022. Canon also projects a year-over-year increase of 8.2% with an aggressive Q4 of 2023. We expect 3 more lenses to be announced on November 2,

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
OMG! Their business strategies are a disaster--YOY sales up almost 13%, which is very unlucky. Demand is solid, not fluid! People are buying Canon lenses instead of third party lenses, padding their bottom line with false profits. They even closed a "certain production facility." They kept the "vaguely productive facility" and closed the one that worked with certainty! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
SonNik fanboys no.N+1 : Can't wait to see Canon go bankrupt and gone because they don't treat their customers well by letting 3rd parties in.
SonNik fanboys extinguish themselves as Ex-Canon user : Bybye Canon. You are not making me buy new RF gears and force me to use EF lenses.
Internet trolls who don't go out to shoot: Canon shxxxy dynamic range, poor CLog3, not enough MP, no EV-/+5....Canon is DOOOMMMEEDD.

Me: Can Canon make more PMO lenses so it's cheap and reasonably good? If they make a PMO RF24-55/f2.8 non-IS priced similar to competitions' 3rd party 28-70/28-75. If so, my money is on Canon.

Upvote 0
Overall the company is doing well. The imaging segment is relatively flat in terms of unit sales - just 1% unit growth. They have released a lot of new models for the entry level segment, and that tends to dominate volume. The bigger issue is the inventory levels are up for the imaging group - anywhere from 35-50% over 2022 depending on the time period. Inventory has risen from 62 days to 77 days of sales. Increased inventory at a time when interest costs are rising is a concern. My guess is there is still a lot of EF-mount inventory - and the recent sales and promotions are to reduce that inventory.

Upvote 0
The bigger issue is the inventory levels are up for the imaging group - anywhere from 35-50% over 2022 depending on the time period. Inventory has risen from 62 days to 77 days of sales. Increased inventory at a time when interest costs are rising is a concern. My guess is there is still a lot of EF-mount inventory - and the recent sales and promotions are to reduce that inventory.
Inventory can be at different levels. Canon would have 1) pre-process inventory which are the components (mostly from 3rd parties) prior to production. There is 2) work in Progress (WIP) inventory and then 3) post processing or finished goods inventory. Obviously, reducing all 3 is important for working capital reasons.
1) covid supply chain issues caused havoc with simple/cheap items causing bottlenecks for finished goods eg display driver chips for cars limiting sales. Forecasted sales and cancelled orders messed up big time then. Most Japanese suppliers have keiretsu/ just in time minimising pre-process inventory so overall production halted quickly. This should be mostly resolved now.

2) WiP should be low unless there is a long production cycle. Bodies especially should be low but maybe lenses have a long time with finishing/polishing of big expensive lens elements taking a lot of time. This could be an issue with a lot of new RF glass needing to work out production yield issues

3) Finished goods is tricky. There could be an excess of EF lenses from previous manufacturing runs and perhaps "last run" volume being higher than normal but these will decrease to zero over time now. Given the recent internet kerfuffel over discontinuation of EF-M then the internet echo chamber would be set to outrage if discontinuation of EF lenses were formally done before lots of new RF lenses (and maybe some 3rd party lenses).
There could be consignment stock where Canon owns the stock but located in local distributor/retailer. I suspect that this wouldn't be the case but could be wrong. Any stock within Canon locally (Canon Australia, Canon USA etc) would be recording in their financial figures.

Overall, a lot of new products (lenses in particular) are on backorder so they aren't the issue so I am guessing that there are either remaining component supply chain issues which Canon is happy to keep higher stock for the moment as they have been bitten before or perhaps production yield issues eg glass elements.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
And I kept hoping for huge bankruptcy discounts...:confused:
Canon are not doomed, no discounts...
OK, I'll buy an R 5II.
wHy CaNoN iS nOt DoOmEd....!!!!

Not just brand new cameras...but Canon's 2nd hand market value is strong. M6 mk2 in Hong Kong's 2nd market is more expensive than Nikon Z30....(approx 700USD vs sub-600USD)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Most Japanese suppliers have keiretsu/ just in time minimising pre-process inventory so overall production halted quickly
JIT manufacturing makes a lot of sense for products that depreciate on the shelf but the supply chain issues displayed its shortcomings.
The products that usually depreciated held their value.
Canon actually raised prices and sold off existing inventory.
DSLR sales actually temporarily went up.

Upvote 0
JIT manufacturing makes a lot of sense for products that depreciate on the shelf but the supply chain issues displayed its shortcomings.
The products that usually depreciated held their value.
Canon actually raised prices and sold off existing inventory.
DSLR sales actually temporarily went up.
JIT manufacturing is the best way to reduce working capital for pre-process inventory. It doesn't work well if the supply chain for the components is volatile or if there are yield/quality issues with the components. I agree that the working capital cost is less if the components are cheap or if the cost of capital is low (Japan has had very low/negative interest rates for over a decade) but with inflation/central bank interest rate rises then working capital costs are rising.

Can you give an example of depreciation? Are you referring to finished goods inventory (which is separate from the manufacturing process)? I am not aware of any Canon cameras that are depreciating in value unless you are referring to DLSR products which may need to be discounted for sale (marketing cost and not accounting depreciation/working capital). Changing exchange rates can affect the variable cost of products but generally isn't considered depreciation.

Upvote 0