Canon celebrates significant milestones with production of 110 million EOS series cameras and 160 million interchangeable RF/EF lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
TOKYO, June 29, 2023—Canon Inc. announced today that the company has reached two major production milestones—a cumulative total of 110 million1 EOS Series interchangeable-lens cameras in March and 160 million2 RF/EF series interchangeable lenses in May. An EOS R6 Mark II (released in December 2022) was the 110 millionth EOS series camera produced, while an RF100mm F2.8

See full article...

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I do realize that lenses last longer than cameras but that is just a few more lenses than cameras.
Also, the EF mount is used by a lot of other camera companies and the RF mount is being used by RED.
So about 1.5 first party lenses per camera body over the past 30 years. That's either a lot of 3rd party lenses or the average buyer only has one lens and the people on this forum jack up the average.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
So about 1.5 first party lenses per camera body over the past 30 years. That's either a lot of 3rd party lenses or the average buyer only has one lens and the people on this forum jack up the average.
I suppose the number comes from 2 points:
  1. A lot of people are double-zoom-kit consumers.
    So 2 lenses, 1 body, maybe 1 better body later on.
  2. A lot of people on this forum are like me: buying a set of lenses (whatever number) and keep them for 3 to 4 bodies they buy throughout the years.
    So introducing a new mount and "killing" the old will help Canon to "convince" people to buy lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
To me, thats not celebration. Canon abandoned EF system, so my 12 EF/TS-E lenses will not receive any updates or grow in number.
They should count only RF ones now, since EF system is over.
At least there is an adapter that gives you the possibility to keep the full functionality with new bodies.
Sounds fair, doesn't it?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
To me, thats not celebration. Canon abandoned EF system, so my 12 EF/TS-E lenses will not receive any updates or grow in number.
They should count only RF ones now, since EF system is over.
Your EF lenses will last another 20 years in all likelyhood. They work perfectly fine on RF mount cameras. They are still selling EF lenses and plenty are for sale (and smart folks are buying them) used. That seems simple enough to understand?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Not fully fair. New RFs come, new EFs - dont.
I need a new body for new lenses.
EF lineup available should fulfill most of your needs.
Can you still buy VHS or Betamax?
Can you still buy new FD lenses?
Can you still buy Sony a-mount?
Can you still buy Nikon V mount?

Times are changing.
Product life cycles end.
Be happy about any compatibility.
That life! Has it been fair before?
Be happy if you can still understand your children

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0