Canon celebrates significant milestones with production of 110 million EOS series cameras and 160 million interchangeable RF/EF lenses

Not fully fair. New RFs come, new EFs - dont.
I need a new body for new lenses.
What new lenses do you need? A new R mount body can be quite inexpensive and second hand bodies are now available as well... 3 years since the R5/6 and ~5 years since R body. R/RP are as good if not better than 5Div/6Dii except for the EVF and battery life. I am amazed that Canon are still selling the 5Div given the R is at a much cheaper retail price.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Your EF lenses will last another 20 years in all likelyhood. They work perfectly fine on RF mount cameras. They are still selling EF lenses and plenty are for sale (and smart folks are buying them) used. That seems simple enough to understand?
I agree!
I just sold my EF24-105/4 (mark 1) for about USD350. Still worked perfectly but had some zoom creep when held vertically as there was no lock on it.

Upvote 0
To me, thats not celebration. Canon abandoned EF system, so my 12 EF/TS-E lenses will not receive any updates or grow in number.
They should count only RF ones now, since EF system is over.
There were never going to be any "updates" for the TS-E lenses and there still isn't any new R mount TS-E lenses so no need for GAS for them.
What RF lens are you desperate to get? Most are improvements over EF but at a much steeper price.
At some point, Canon will trumpet how many RF lenses have been sold but not yet.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I always have a hard time wrapping my head around the math. That's about 1.45 lenses per camera. Obviously, a lot of people never buy any lens other than the "one that came with the camera."

As @EOS 4 Life says, that's not very many more lenses than cameras.

But then, I saw this:
I do realize that lenses last longer than cameras...
So I started counting. I have owned 11 bodies and 20 lenses if I recall correctly post 1987 (When Canon starts their count). That works out to about 1.8 lenses per body. I'm a little over the average, but it's plausible that I'm not so far off that it wouldn't help average out those who are under the average.

My RF to R ratio is closer to the average at 1.5 lenses per body and I expect that ratio to drop in the future since new bodies seem to come out every four years and new lenses have a 10 year or longer life cycle.

Curious what other people's averages look like.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Curious what other people's averages look like.
RF is easier because the numbers are lower and I still have all the RF lenses I’ve bought. I’ll count extenders because Canon does (I presume, since they include them in the count of RF lenses launched). For RF, I’m at 3.67:1 (11 lenses, 3 bodies).

For the M system, 9 lenses (all 8, two of the 15-45 since the kit with EVF was cheaper than not getting the lens) and 4 bodies, so 2.25:1.

For EF (mount), I have 9 currently but I’ve bought then sold approximately 12 (not counting buying used), and had 4 bodies, so 5.25:1.

For total EOS cameras and lenses, that puts me at 3.7 lenses per camera.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
I have been photographing for a number of years and now have a collection of cameras and lenses that also consists of several Canon systems. I have RF, EF as well as EF-M.
For total EOS cameras and lenses, that puts me at 3.5 lenses per camera.

It's interesting to see if 3.x lenses per camera is the 'standard' average.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
RF is easier because the numbers are lower and I still have all the RF lenses I’ve bought. I’ll count extenders because Canon does (I presume, since they include them in the count of RF lenses launched). For RF, I’m at 3.67:1 (11 lenses, 3 bodies).

For the M system, 9 lenses (all 8, two of the 15-45 since the kit with EVF was cheaper than not getting the lens) and 4 bodies, so 2.25:1.

For EF (mount), I have 9 currently but I’ve bought then sold approximately 12 (not counting buying used), and had 4 bodies, so 5.25:1.

For total EOS cameras and lenses, that puts me at 3.7 lenses per camera.
I’m at 5.5/body. The ratio is too high. Should I buy another body to lower it?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
To me, thats not celebration. Canon abandoned EF system, so my 12 EF/TS-E lenses will not receive any updates or grow in number.
They should count only RF ones now, since EF system is over.
As an EOS RP owner with an adaptor, I've been able to benefit from Canon's catalogue of amazing EF lenses that are now available second hand for much less than new. Having started with one RF lens a year ago, I now have 4 EF lenses and 4 RF, and I love them all for the images I can capture with them. I certainly value the options that both systems offer. Plus I recently added some ancient 35mm SLRs that work beautifully with EF lenses old and new.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
For the EF era it's a very hard count, because if we count (as canon does) also film bodies, well that would be a problem ahah! And being a person that likes to buy used and resell pretty easily, also the lens count since 1999 (my birth year in Canon) is astronomic!

Let's see...if I remember correctly it's 4 film bodies and...10 I think? At least ten DSLR's, plus a single M body, the M6II (but may have been a couple more DSLR in the mix). So 15 bodies min.

Lenses....OMG that's brutal ahahah of course i started with the 28-90 and 75-300 kit I got together with the Eos 300 for my 1999 birthday.
From there...I can recall 34 Canon EF&EF-S lenses and 2 Canon EF-M lenses, and...at least 9 third party lenses, soooo not less then 45 lenses (but I would say closer to 50, I surely forgot something).

45 lenses for 15 bodies is 3 lenses per body, I would have thought more!

Then just RF I have two bodies now (but I'm in the process to sell the R10, and the 6D, to buy an RP, so they'll became 3 R bodies owned overall) and I had three lenses (just sold the 85 f2 and I'm now selling the 16 f2.8 so I'll remain with just the 35 f1.8), so 1,5 lenses per body today, but when RP comes I'll have a 1:1 coefficient on just R stuff.

Upvote 0