Canon celebrates 20th consecutive year of No. 1 share of global interchangeable-lens digital camera market

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
TOKYO, March 28, 2023—Canon Inc. announced today that the company’s interchangeable-lens digital cameras (digital SLR and mirrorless cameras) have maintained the No. 1 share of the global market for 20 consecutive years1 from 2003 to 2022. Canon develops the key imaging system components featured in its EOS series of digital interchangeable-lens cameras—CMOS image sensors, image processors

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I see in your monitors the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of Canon fails,
when we forsake our cameras
and break all bonds of fellowship,
but it is not this day.

An hour of Sony and shattered Nikon,
when the age of Canon comes crashing down,
but it is not this day!

This day we fight!!

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth,
I bid you stand, People of Canon!!!​

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Not sure if that is good or bad news from a customer perspective. It will not encourage Canon to lower its prices. It is like Apple.
Of course it's good news! The more successful a company is, the more funds it has for development of exciting new products. And yes, Canon are very much like Apple - and to my way of thinking, that's a good thing - it means high quality products and great design, which I'm prepared to pay extra to get.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Of course it's good news! The more successful a company is, the more funds it has for development of exciting new products. And yes, Canon are very much like Apple - and to my way of thinking, that's a good thing - it means high quality products and great design, which I'm prepared to pay extra to get.

Being like Apple is not a good thing. And I'm a 20-year Apple user.

Nope. High quality products in great design doesn't mean excessive locking in, shady marketing practices and a lack of after purchase options.

About Sony's competition, there would be no R5. It would be no advanced AF tracking. They only made these moves to try to maintain their number one spot, not for the good of the customer. Give companies too much credit. They don't give you what you want they give you what they want to sell you.

And when you mean great quality products, apparently you're not talking about the 50 mm 1.4 that is literally 20 plus years old They refuse to upgrade. Or their new set of lenses that go all the way down to a disgusting 7.1. Or the excessive prices of their L lens lineup.

Or the embarrassment that is RFS lens lineup, which is almost non-existent and terrible.

Or lack of Ibis unless you pay $1,500.. And that's for a crop body.

I can go on but I don't want to.

• Haha
Upvote 0
I see in your monitors the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of Canon fails,
when we forsake our cameras
and break all bonds of fellowship,
but it is not this day.

An hour of Sony and shattered Nikon,
when the age of Canon comes crashing down,
but it is not this day!

This day we fight!!

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth,
I bid you stand, People of Canon!!!​
That's a quote from the movie "The Lord of The Red Rings"!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Sony switched to mirrorless, because they had the good fortune of being failures in the DSLR market.
Not true. I owned the Sony a700, which was in it's day one of the best DSLRs on the market, with excellent specs and great ergonomics. It certainly wasn't a failure in terms of design or performance, having inherited Minolta DNA. I only switched to Canon myself because Sony didn't have an upgrade path at the time (they later introduced the a99, a7 etc).

The truth is that Sony at the time were new to the DSLR market, in which Canon and Nikon were very much dominant, and rather than compete against them in their own field, they decided to develop an entirely new line of mirrorless products (the a7 line) which were in many ways hugely superior to DSLRs. Without a kick up the butt from Sony, there would be no R5, no Z9 - without a kick up the butt from Sony, we'd probably all still be using DSLRs.

Canon and Nikon were caught with their pants down, and it took them years to catch up, and to arguably surpass Sony. I say all this as a neutral observer, having owned extensive systems by Nikon, Sony and Canon. (I've used Canon for 12 years now and currently own a R5 and 7 RF lenses, as well as a 5DMkiv).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Nope. High quality products in great design doesn't mean excessive locking in, shady marketing practices and a lack of after purchase options.

About Sony's competition, there would be no R5. It would be no advanced AF tracking. They only made these moves to try to maintain their number one spot, not for the good of the customer. Give companies too much credit. They don't give you what you want they give you what they want to sell you.

And when you mean great quality products, apparently you're not talking about the 50 mm 1.4 that is literally 20 plus years old They refuse to upgrade. Or their new set of lenses that go all the way down to a disgusting 7.1. Or the excessive prices of their L lens lineup.

Or the embarrassment that is RFS lens lineup, which is almost non-existent and terrible.

There's two ways (three?) to view perceived industry laggards: either they are spurred on by the competition as you assert, or they wait until a certain feature reaches quality standards acceptable to them, which can take years after their competition releases it. The third way is a little of both. Sony is known to release half-baked, not-quite-there products and features that Canon quality would never stoop down to, from the filter stack coating issues that Canon mitigated from the get-go with a physically covered sensor on the R, to the infamous star-eater noise reduction that never afflicted Canon's, to the completely ineffective anti-flicker on the a73, where Canon's anti-flicker worked from the beginning. Not to say Canon's features don't go through iterations and improvements, but the level of quality on initial release and stability throughout its life, is indeed reminiscent of Apple versus Android, we've all probably gone through many iterations of Android and Apple phones (at least I have) to know that Apple products in general have better feature implementation and stability throughout its life.

That being said, a capitalist market does require competition to keep the leader honest, and two-horse races are never ideal (Airbus/Boeing, Apple/Android, and now Canon/Sony), versus the ideal scenario like the auto market with many players and not just a few dominant ones. But nothing is perfect or remains so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Welcome to Sony paradise!

Upvote 0