Canon continues its dominant hold on global market share for digital cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In a report published today in the Nikkei, Techno Systems Research reports that Canon has continued its dominant market share in the digital camera space for 2022. Both Canon and Nikon showed every so slight increases in market share, with Sony going on the other. According to Techno Systems Research the entire digital camera market

See full article...

Jul 21, 2010
So Canon isn’t d00med?

But…blocking 3rd party lenses. But…an RF lineup with no mid-range lenses. But…they changed the hotshoe design. But…Sony has ‘better’ lenses. But…Nikon has ‘better’ bodies. But…everyone I know has dumped Canon. But…Canon can’t compete.

Oh, right. All these ‘grave errors’ by Canon that exist in the minds of some forum participants don’t really matter in the real world.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
So Canon isn’t d00med?

But…blocking 3rd party lenses. But…an RF lineup with no mid-range lenses. But…they changed the hotshoe design. But…Sony has ‘better’ lenses. But…Nikon has ‘better’ bodies. But…everyone I know has dumped Canon. But…Canon can’t compete.

Oh, right. All these ‘grave errors’ by Canon that exist in the minds of some forum participants don’t really matter in the real world.

you forgot, "but canon wasted their money on too expensive 28-70 f2 and 100-300 2.8 or stupid f7.1 and f11 telephotos that nobody wants"

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2019
Are the Sony users abandoning the brand and moving to Canon (and to a lesser extent Nikon) or do these sales increases represent organic growth of new users? That would be interesting to know along with where the growth was occurring. If I recall correctly, in another post, most of the market growth was attributed to China.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Are the Sony users abandoning the brand and moving to Canon (and to a lesser extent Nikon) or do these sales increases represent organic growth of new users? That would be interesting to know along with where the growth was occurring. If I recall correctly, in another post, most of the market growth was attributed to China.
It could be people getting their first cameras.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
So Canon isn’t d00med?

Canon is a bit like Apple. No matter what they release, people still buy it. A little bit like cheesy pop stars :)

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon is a bit like Apple. No matter what they release, people still buy it. A little bit like cheesy pop stars :)
Brand power is a heck of a thing.....

To be fair, one thing Canon crushes everyone else on is after purchase services. I'm not sure if people make a buying choice based on that, but they definitely stick around if they need it.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So red ring = blue bubble? :p

I suppose it’s possible that people buy what Canon sells because meets their needs, including features and/or budget.

Of course, the Sony trolls on here would have us believe Canon customers are sad, misguided sheeple (some have even used that exact word) who just aren’t smart enough to understand Sony’s superiority. Ahhh, well…trolls gonna troll.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
Not sure a 0.4% y/y increase constitutes a comeback, but it’s good that their market share hemorrhage seems to have stopped.
It is the move in the right direction I'd say considering that SONY percentage went down a little bit.
Nikon MILC looks more attractive than year ago for its DSLR users who are looking to upgrade.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
None of the circlejerks realize the data includes DSLR. Data is inflated by cheap Canon & Nikon DSLR kits.

The ones buying APS-C DSLR with a variable aperture zoom lens kit has no relations with Canon blocking RF third-party lenses or exotic RF lens R&D.
Are you saying that Sony's percentage drop is because people are increasingly buying Canon and Nikon DSLRs?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
So red ring = blue bubble? :p

I suppose it’s possible that people buy what Canon sells because meets their needs, including features and/or budget.

Of course, the Sony trolls on here would have us believe Canon customers are sad, misguided sheeple (some have even used that exact word) who just aren’t smart enough to understand Sony’s superiority. Ahhh, well…trolls gonna troll.

Or they just don't know better and have no opportunity to try other brands because in every electronics shop, there is only Canon and a few old Sony's with their horrible screens.

I have a friend who did shoot Canon and had many lenses but was not aware his Rebel camera had an APS-C sensor. I am sure customers like him can evaluate carefully which brand would be better for them. In reality, most of them buy Canon because it's the most prominent brand, found in every electronics shop.

Don't get me wrong, I like many things about Canon. I love the Canon ergonomics, and touchscreens mostly. But a little less market dominance would do us good. They are becoming a little arrogant.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
None of the circlejerks realize the data includes DSLR. Data is inflated by cheap Canon & Nikon DSLR kits.

The ones buying APS-C DSLR with a variable aperture zoom lens kit has no relations with Canon blocking RF third-party lenses or exotic RF lens R&D.
That makes no sense because there were cheap Canon and Nikon DSLR kits before now. Kinda makes me think of an old Star Trek episode "Datalore"

Upvote 0
Are you saying that Sony's percentage drop is because people are increasingly buying Canon and Nikon DSLRs?

Cheapest EF kit is cheaper than the cheapest RF kit.

The introduction of more entry model Canon & Nikon mirrorless push down the price of entry DSLR and Canon/Nikon still has mindshare from being DSLR giants.

That makes no sense because there were cheap Canon and Nikon DSLR kits before now. Kinda makes me think of an old Star Trek episode "Datalore"

The DSLR kits got cheaper with more mirrorless coming out, never said there weren't cheap DSLR kits...

Upvote 0