Canon Introduces the EOS M5 Digital Camera and its First EF-M High Power Zoom Lens

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
25,592
3,934
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
... In 2015, Canon's one line of MILCs surpassed the full Panasonic lineup of MILCs to become #3 in Japanese sales, if that's not 'taking it to Panasonic', what is? Sure there's a gap...a widening gap in MILC sales where Canon leads Panasonic, and a narrowing gap where Canon is catching up to Sony (who lost the #1 spot to Olympus last year).

nope. http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/mirrorless-market-shares.html

Yep. Check BCN. But thanks for the like to some global data.
 

Quackator

EOS RP
Jul 19, 2011
381
235
neuroanatomist said:
But thanks for the like to some global data.

And don't forget, the #2 ranking forecast was before we all have seen
the audience reaction towards the M5.

I think it will take Canon straight to #1 this year.

Two years ago I entered the M game very late and paid less than 300 Euro
for body, iShoot grip, mount adapter, 22mm pancake and 5 batteries.
Last year I waited for the M3 (body only) to drop below 500 Euro, and since that
never happened finally bought it with the 18-55mm kit lens at 440 Euro.
This year I preordered the M5 at 1140 Euro. Draw a curve.....

The usual "wait until the childhood illnesses are fixed and we all know what it really can do"
is gone - I want it now and have made sure that I will get one in the first shipment,
even if my dealer receives only one piece.

What I collect from colleagues, family and friends, their view on the
M5 is pretty similar, and I think this is powerful enough to take Canon
directly to #1 this year. The supply of 1D-X MkII and 5D MkIV proves
that their yield rates are stellar, and will not slow down their sales at all.

Olympus and Sony on the other hand will certainly struggle to get
enough chips baked and mounted.

And I have a slight suspicion that I might not want to keep the M3
and instead will opt for one more M5.....
 

DogpackChris

I'm New Here
Oct 14, 2014
12
14
www.flickr.com
Quackator said:
neuroanatomist said:
But thanks for the like to some global data.

And don't forget, the #2 ranking forecast was before we all have seen
the audience reaction towards the M5.

I think it will take Canon straight to #1 this year.

Two years ago I entered the M game very late and paid less than 300 Euro
for body, iShoot grip, mount adapter, 22mm pancake and 5 batteries.
Last year I waited for the M3 (body only) to drop below 500 Euro, and since that
never happened finally bought it with the 18-55mm kit lens at 440 Euro.
This year I preordered the M5 at 1140 Euro. Draw a curve.....

The usual "wait until the childhood illnesses are fixed and we all know what it really can do"
is gone - I want it now and have made sure that I will get one in the first shipment,
even if my dealer receives only one piece.

What I collect from colleagues, family and friends, their view on the
M5 is pretty similar, and I think this is powerful enough to take Canon
directly to #1 this year. The supply of 1D-X MkII and 5D MkIV proves
that their yield rates are stellar, and will not slow down their sales at all.

Olympus and Sony on the other hand will certainly struggle to get
enough chips baked and mounted.

And I have a slight suspicion that I might not want to keep the M3
and instead will opt for one more M5.....
I agree. I bought the SL1 a few years ago and still use it for a lot hiking and mountain biking but the M5 should beat it in almost every way. It should be the perfect carry/travel companion. I never have sold the original M because the 22mm f2 is that good. I just bought the 11-22 and plan on supplementing it with the 55-200 and 15-45. Looking forward to getting out there with this kit.
 

Zv

EOS 5D Mark IV
Sep 23, 2012
1,765
0
www.flickr.com
Busted Knuckles said:
This really isn't a pro camera - though I see some pros using 50/60/70D cameras fairly frequently (I have seen a multi camera set up using T3i for video??)

Take the guts out of this, put a FF sensor on it (same resolution) and drop it into a 6d body...

...

When 6DII comes out you'll pretty much have your wish. With DPAF it will essentially operate as a mirrorless if you want it to. Very high probability of 6DII having DPAF.
 
Aug 22, 2016
7
0
A lot of people have been complaining about the lack of native prime lens for the M5. What's interesting is that here in the UK, all of the pre-orders come with the EF-EOS M adapter bundled with it. Perfect if like me you've already got a selection of EF lenses but it means that anyone who buys this as their first Canon camera will be introduced to and have full access to the Canon ecosystem. It's sort of like the gateway drug of cameras.
 

Sharlin

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
1,369
1,306
Turku, Finland
Arctic-Winds said:
A lot of people have been complaining about the lack of native prime lens for the M5. What's interesting is that here in the UK, all of the pre-orders come with the EF-EOS M adapter bundled with it. Perfect if like me you've already got a selection of EF lenses but it means that anyone who buys this as their first Canon camera will be introduced to and have full access to the Canon ecosystem. It's sort of like the gateway drug of cameras.

Yep - in other European countries as well AFAICS. It might be a special campaign by Canon Europe, not sure if it's just a preorder bonus or something that's going to last.
 

d

EOS RP
Mar 8, 2015
417
0
-pekr- said:
Uh oh Canon, here's Panasonic's answer to the M5 - https://www.cinema5d.com/the-much-awaited-panasonic-gh5-has-been-announced/

I think you'll find the GH5 targets a different market - it's certainly going to priced a lot higher.
 

Sharlin

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
1,369
1,306
Turku, Finland
d said:
-pekr- said:
Uh oh Canon, here's Panasonic's answer to the M5 - https://www.cinema5d.com/the-much-awaited-panasonic-gh5-has-been-announced/

I think you'll find the GH5 targets a different market - it's certainly going to priced a lot higher.

Yep, Canon is obviously not targeting videographers like Panasonic is.
 

-pekr-

EOS R5
CR Pro
d said:
-pekr- said:
Uh oh Canon, here's Panasonic's answer to the M5 - https://www.cinema5d.com/the-much-awaited-panasonic-gh5-has-been-announced/

I think you'll find the GH5 targets a different market - it's certainly going to priced a lot higher.

Well, I know - I am well invested Canon and Elinchrom user, so it was mostly a sarcastic post for the Canon naysayers :) Well, otoh interesting info indeed - I like any innovations on the market, keeps me interested!
 

Woody

EOS R
Jul 20, 2010
1,161
87
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
... In 2015, Canon's one line of MILCs surpassed the full Panasonic lineup of MILCs to become #3 in Japanese sales, if that's not 'taking it to Panasonic', what is? Sure there's a gap...a widening gap in MILC sales where Canon leads Panasonic, and a narrowing gap where Canon is catching up to Sony (who lost the #1 spot to Olympus last year).

nope. http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/mirrorless-market-shares.html

Nope to what?

From Japan http://bcnranking.jp/award/section/hard/hard94.html:

AWARD 2016 Olympus (34.5%) Sony (24.8%) Canon (13.6%)
AWARD 2015 Sony (34.3%) Olympus (22.3%) Panasonic (11.9%)
AWARD 2014 Olympus (28.9%) Sony (26.5 percent) Panasonic (14.2%)
AWARD 2013 Olympus (29.8%) Panasonic (23.3 percent) Sony (20.1 percent)
AWARD 2012 Olympus (36.6%) Panasonic (29.3 percent) Sony (27.3%)
AWARD 2011 Panasonic (38.7%) Sony (32.2%) Olympus (29.1%)

From your Sansmirror link:

"...We had Sony at about 12% of the overall ILC market last year, which put their mirrorless number somewhere around 1.4m. And from Canon’s recently stated numbers, we’d have to guess that they were somewhere above 300k units for mirrorless last year, and are now growing significantly.

It’s tough to assess the precise positions in mid-year—especially with this year’s quake affecting most makers, but not Canon—but I’d say those three positions are still pretty much a safe bet at the moment, though the order is changing. Canon will almost certainly pass Olympus this year and move into the number two spot."

Bear in mind Canon only has a few miserable MILCs and lenses out there...
 

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
10,440
5,658
-pekr- said:
d said:
-pekr- said:
Uh oh Canon, here's Panasonic's answer to the M5 - https://www.cinema5d.com/the-much-awaited-panasonic-gh5-has-been-announced/

I think you'll find the GH5 targets a different market - it's certainly going to priced a lot higher.

Well, I know - I am well invested Canon and Elinchrom user, so it was mostly a sarcastic post for the Canon naysayers :) Well, otoh interesting info indeed - I like any innovations on the market, keeps me interested!

Innovations hold little interest to me unless they actually make a difference to my stills output. The Profoto D2 1000's look very interesting, it will make a difference to my images.
 

-pekr-

EOS R5
CR Pro
privatebydesign said:
-pekr- said:
d said:
-pekr- said:
Uh oh Canon, here's Panasonic's answer to the M5 - https://www.cinema5d.com/the-much-awaited-panasonic-gh5-has-been-announced/

I think you'll find the GH5 targets a different market - it's certainly going to priced a lot higher.

Why? Do you need TTL with studio strobes? :)

Well, I know - I am well invested Canon and Elinchrom user, so it was mostly a sarcastic post for the Canon naysayers :) Well, otoh interesting info indeed - I like any innovations on the market, keeps me interested!

Innovations hold little interest to me unless they actually make a difference to my stills output. The Profoto D2 1000's look very interesting, it will make a difference to my images.
 

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
10,440
5,658
Moving subjects!

The D2 1000w version is much more appealing than the B1 for outside shooting, and a Vagabond Lithium gives you the mobility.

But the D2 is more than ETTL, it has 1000w of HSS! It has 20fps in a comparatively light weight and easily transportable package. I see the D2 as being an even better B1.
 

lw

EOS RP
Oct 9, 2013
265
0
-pekr- said:
Uh oh Canon, here's Panasonic's answer to the M5 - https://www.cinema5d.com/the-much-awaited-panasonic-gh5-has-been-announced/

Perhaps the G80/85 is more Panasonic's answer to the M5

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_G80_G85/

The G80 / G85 also looks strong compared to the Canon EOS M5 announced a few days earlier.

The Canon has

a larger and higher resolution 24 Megapixel APS-C sensor
Bluetooth to aid Wifi negotiations
and (probably) more confident phase-detect AF thanks to Dual Pixel CMOS AF

but the Lumix G80 / G85 has

built-in stabilisation
weather-proofing
a larger viewfinder image
fully-articulated screen
4k video with all of Panasonic's 4k photo modes

Plus the Lumix is two thirds the price of the Canon.


In the UK the G80 is £699 and the M5 is £1049.
In the UK when you pre-order you get a free battery grip with the G80, a free EF adaptor with the M5

On top of that you can add that the G80/85 also has

No AA filter
focus stacking (only 4k photos)
focus bracketing
Intervalometer
Zebras and other video tools
electromagnetic shutter
Pop-up flash is a wireless commander
optional Battery Grip

Both have touch AF, and ability to move the focus point using touch.
Both have similar IBIS + OIS combined stabilization.
Both have wide choice of lenses - native or adapted.

So choose between bigger sensor or more features - and price...
 

Josh Denver

EOS M6 Mark II
Sep 11, 2016
84
0
Versus the Panasonic g80, the EOS M5 has a bigger sensor, 24mp, much higher dynamic range (80d vs gh4), much better lowlight performance, better AF system, usable vs non-usable video AF, headphone jack, and most importantly Full compatibility with Canon glass for use as a 100℅ reliable B-cam for Canon glass,

Of course the g80 has its advantages, mainly high detail video (VERY), zebras and IBIS with manual video lenses, etc.

The M5 is the first Canon MILC that I can make an argument for against another MILC!

A home run only lacking a UHD mode of a very highly detailed HD mods.