Canon is looking to partner with a smartphone manufacturer

Sep 20, 2020
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Android is around 75% of the market and open source so don't count them out.
Select bits of android are open source, but real life android products like to replace those bits with. And worse, outside of a select few manufacturers, good luck trying to get the actual sources for the open source bits for the device you bought.

Regardless of that, any integrations Canon would do to a 3rd party phone, wouldn't be open source.

Upvote 0
Contrary to the article I believe the Nothing phone would be one of the worst choices. Canon needs to find a partner that has the same reputation as they have in the photography world otherwise it would seem desperate. It's also very unlikely that a Japanese company would partner with a Chinese company, so Huawei and Xiaomi are out of question. So that pretty much only leaves Samsung, Google and Apple.
Personally I think the best win-win choice would be Google and both company's could benefit from each other.

Upvote 0
Contrary to the article I believe the Nothing phone would be one of the worst choices. Canon needs to find a partner that has the same reputation as they have in the photography world otherwise it would seem desperate. It's also very unlikely that a Japanese company would partner with a Chinese company, so Huawei and Xiaomi are out of question. So that pretty much only leaves Samsung, Google and Apple.
Personally I think the best win-win choice would be Google and both company's could benefit from each other.
I doubt Google, they are not even taking care Android ecosystem properly and let people slip to the iOS. Samsung failed in the NX-mount because the hardware is behind their concept. With current tech, Samsung connectivity with RF mount/Canon computational photography+DPAF II can punch the markets, both smartphone and cameras.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Canon needs to find a partner that has the same reputation as they have in the photography world
HMD Global?

(posting from a HMD Global phone, by the way)

Not Google, please. Google doesn't seem to care about longevity of their products.

Upvote 0
HMD Global?

(posting from a HMD Global phone, by the way)
Absolutely. The Nokia brand and Canon brand together would be awesome. By the way, maybe Canon will license the Nokia brand once the license with HMD Global expires? Or they could by HMD Global completely. (See my nick if you want to know how I feel about these scenarios.)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Absolutely. The Nokia brand and Canon brand together would be awesome. By the way, maybe Canon will license the Nokia brand once the license with HMD Global expires? Or they could by HMD Global completely. (See my nick if you want to know how I feel about these scenarios.)
PowerShot Microsoft Duo.
Weird cameras so may as well make a weird phone.

Upvote 0