Canon EOS R6 announcement moved to July [CR2]

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Can we have a recap of what Canon has shared with us about the R6? Not CR, not CN...Canon.

Without discussing the R5?
As far as I know Canon has not shared a single thing about the R6. I agree about keeping the focus on R6 here, and definitely a post should not have its focus on just the R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Can we have a recap of what Canon has shared with us about the R6? Not CR, not CN...Canon.

The glib answer here is if you're not interested in discussing rumored specs this might not be the best place to hang out, as the R6 hasn't (as far as I remember--but hey, been a crazy few months) publicly confirmed to even exist :)

But, honestly, what I was trying to get at in a previous post (regardless of a pre-coffee moment getting my threads mixed up) is that regardless of what Canon has said about it so far, the R6 isn't going to be released into a vacuum. We know:

- A lot about the R5 via official channels, which gives an upper bound on the performance an R6 will have and the sorts of parts available for an R6
- A little bit of inference (e.g. sensor size given 8K shooting has to be 39-45mp) about that camera as well
- A lot about the 1DX mark III, which reviewers have in some cases likened to a mirrorless camera minus the EVF
- What the competition has had on the market for years at the entry FF level, and associated pricing
- Where these model numbers have traditionally landed in terms of price/performance/build/innovation/etc

If ya add all that up, even before throwing in the CR2/3 rumors, you could start to hone in on a pretty good idea about where an R6 might land. There'll be surprises for sure, and where the R5 hits in terms of pricing is a big one! I'm also surprised at 20mp (it seems low) and 12/20 shooting (seems high) but both those decisions make sense if you think of the R6 as borrowing heavily from other products which are either officially announced or actually released.

Anyways, it seems super reasonable to use what we do know to speculate about what we don't, and folks are using that speculation to try and get an idea about how much they'll need to drop on a camera that meets theirs needs & budget when these two models actually ship.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The glib answer here is if you're not interested in discussing rumored specs this might not be the best place to hang out, as the R6 hasn't (as far as I remember--but hey, been a crazy few months) publicly confirmed to even exist :)

But, honestly, what I was trying to get at in a previous post (regardless of a pre-coffee moment getting my threads mixed up) is that regardless of what Canon has said about it so far, the R6 isn't going to be released into a vacuum. We know:

- A lot about the R5 via official channels, which gives an upper bound on the performance an R6 will have and the sorts of parts available for an R6
- A little bit of inference (e.g. sensor size given 8K shooting has to be 39-45mp) about that camera as well
- A lot about the 1DX mark III, which reviewers have in some cases likened to a mirrorless camera minus the EVF
- What the competition has had on the market for years at the entry FF level, and associated pricing
- Where these model numbers have traditionally landed in terms of price/performance/build/innovation/etc

If ya add all that up, even before throwing in the CR2/3 rumors, you could start to hone in on a pretty good idea about where an R6 might land. There'll be surprises for sure, and where the R5 hits in terms of pricing is a big one! I'm also surprised at 20mp (it seems low) and 12/20 shooting (seems high) but both those decisions make sense if you think of the R6 as borrowing heavily from other products which are either officially announced or actually released.

Anyways, it seems super reasonable to use what we do know to speculate about what we don't, and folks are using that speculation to try and get an idea about how much they'll need to drop on a camera that meets theirs needs & budget when these two models actually ship.

I think what slclick is asking is reasonable. In the past few months, these forums are always talking about the R5 and R6 as if these cameras are on equal footing, i.e., we know that each exists as well as some basic specs. This is really not true.

I'm sure slclick is as happy as any of us to talk about rumored specs, but their point hits on a key issue: we have no confirmation of anything pertaining to the R6 at all, which makes speculation a little different for that camera than it is for the R5 (and less fun, I might add - if you know even one detail for sure, e.g., that the R5 shoots 8K video, you have a foothold and can start guessing from there. Not the case with the R6).

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I think what slclick is asking is reasonable. In the past few months, these forums are always talking about the R5 and R6 as if these cameras are on equal footing, i.e., we know that each exists as well as some basic specs. This is really not true.

I'm sure slclick is as happy as any of us to talk about rumored specs, but their point hits on a key issue: we have no confirmation of anything pertaining to the R6 at all, which makes speculation a little different for that camera than it is for the R5 (and less fun, I might add - if you know even one detail for sure, e.g., that the R5 shoots 8K video, you have a foothold and can start guessing from there. Not the case with the R6).
Thank you for saying what I neglected to be clear on. I'm all about the rumors here, been here longer than most of you. :)

However in this R5 vs R6 topic, one is semi announced and the other is semi-vaporware. I like the sound of both. I just can't put the same logic into both bodies, they deserve to be considered in separate mindsets.

Once Canon comes out with some info, then we'll have a thread or two with gusto!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
This is getting really sickening now... Waiting 3 months to finally hear wait another 3 months. Fck you Canon
Oh did you just emerge from a meditation retreat in the desert? I hope you came out refreshed and centered. Well, a lot has happened since your journey inward. There's been a pandemic...unsettling, I understand.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Oh did you just emerge from a meditation retreat in the desert? I hope you came out refreshed and centered. Well, a lot has happened since your journey inward. There's been a pandemic...unsettling, I understand.

I know, I don't mind the wait for shipping time... But I am anxious to know more about the official features and price point. They could at least give us that. I thought my wait was going to be over this month. So extremely disappointed!

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
I would also say that if a new R6 camera has everything a customer wanted, plus a big shiny full frame sensor that just happened to have 20MP, *and* be at a competitive price they could afford, they would be *very* happy with it. I'm assuming that they also get a good lens to go with it, also at a price they can afford. The quality of a camera like that is so far ahead of what they would have been using that they should be elated.

Now, with that said, which lens should be in the kit that is offered for them to buy, and what price should that whole kit cost?

hmmmm.... 20mp is a little underwhelming. I'd be ok if its 24mp.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
At least you don't have to deal with Sony fanboys in real life.
I had two second shooters in a wedding talking all day long about their sony cameras and how i'll see the superior iso performance and autofocus.
Watching the video at home i was wondering if they sent me the wrong folder with smartphone videos

(I know it's user error and sony camera are perfectly capable and even better sometimes, but it was so much fun watching all those videos after all the bragging about sony)

I've used both Canon and Sony for videos. It appears to me that Canon's video autofocus is less twitchy / smoother than Sony's, but the Sony tends to stick to the subject's face/eye more consistently. In terms of video quality (1080p), i prefer the Canon's. Can't compare 4K video quality because of the ridiculous 1.8x crop on the EOS R.

Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
I've used both Canon and Sony for videos. It appears to me that Canon's video autofocus is less twitchy / smoother than Sony's, but the Sony tends to stick to the subject's face/eye more consistently. In terms of video quality (1080p), i prefer the Canon's. Can't compare 4K video quality because of the ridiculous 1.8x crop on the EOS R.

Just my two cents.
Exactly, the sony directly jumps to the subject while the canon "focus pulls" in a more cinematic way. However when the sony autofocus misses you notice more.
Since there is the mith that Sony cameras have insane lowlight, the standard sony user tends to crank up the iso to much and it looks bad even on a sony

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I know, I don't mind the wait for shipping time... But I am anxious to know more about the official features and price point. They could at least give us that. I thought my wait was going to be over this month. So extremely disappointed!
There is a better way of venting your dissatisfaction or disappointment then posting disrespectful, rude messages on CR. I hope you understand

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I would also say that if a new R6 camera has everything a customer wanted, plus a big shiny full frame sensor that just happened to have 20MP, *and* be at a competitive price they could afford, they would be *very* happy with it. I'm assuming that they also get a good lens to go with it, also at a price they can afford. The quality of a camera like that is so far ahead of what they would have been using that they should be elated.

Now, with that said, which lens should be in the kit that is offered for them to buy, and what price should that whole kit cost?

I think the prosumer that would be looking at the R6 because of price (IE the R5 at $3500 will be too much of a spend) would be looking at a $1500 body and an $750 lens for a $2250 price. That probably means a 24-105/f4 lens of some kind.

Pure speculation of course...

Upvote 0
As far as I know Canon has not shared a single thing about the R6. I agree about keeping the focus on R6 here, and definitely a post should not have its focus on just the R5.

That's the most interesting thing to me. Not a single breath about R6. No way they fully announce in May. Sure would be nice to just do a development announcement like they did with R6.

Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
That's the most interesting thing to me. Not a single breath about R6. No way they fully announce in May. Sure would be nice to just do a development announcement like they did with R6.
Yes, but at the same time - how much is it to hype about this camera? Its not spec-wise more interesting, and Canon is alone on the podium when it comes to rumors/whats new/ going to come soon. They got a lot of attention. I think we will see the announcement or teaser max a month before the first one is shipping. Not guessing when it will launch.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think the prosumer that would be looking at the R6 because of price (IE the R5 at $3500 will be too much of a spend) would be looking at a $1500 body and an $750 lens for a $2250 price. That probably means a 24-105/f4 lens of some kind.

Pure speculation of course...
I agree. In fact, I think the 24-105/f4 is a *really* high quality lens from everything I've read, and that would make for a truly stunning setup at a pretty low price considering.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Some companies have successfully used a tactic in times of poor sales, that they should get sales up by releasing exciting products, rather than shrinking into their shell.
This may be Canon's thinking.
I can't remember Canon ever touting a new camera so much well before its release date.

In hindsight, I wonder how much the view of the approaching storm from Wuhan influenced their decision in January to start leaking major information about the R5?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Actually I hadn't noticed that, I'd assumed it had a separate AF-based chip, but looking at the specs it has: "a single processor that replaces two DIGIC 6+ processors in the previous EOS-1D X Mark II camera." Pretty remarkable!

It probably still has a separate chip for AF, but so did the 1D X and 1D X Mark II in addition to their dual DiG!C image processors.

Chuck Westfall once made a comment that the 1D X Mark II had a DiG!C 5 level processor for AF and metering, and combining the two using iTR, in addition to the dual DiG!C 6+ image processors. In the same comment he noted that the 5D Mark IV had the same DiG!C 5 equivalent chip for AF/metering/iTR in addition to the single DiG!C 6+ image processor.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yeah, good question, but this was just a joke, so let's try more serious guessing. I personally expect the R5 to come on the same price level like the 5D cameras, including a typical inflation with every new model. The 5D Mk IV hit the European market with € 4000, when it was new, the 5D Mk III in 2011 with about € 3100, so that logic would go for € 4999 for Europe as an initial price. Main competitors are currently the Nikon Z7 (body:€ 3000), the Sony A9 and A7RIV (both € 3600 for the bodies). Since the step from the 5D II to III, Canon really changed their pricing strategy to a premium level. So I'd expect something around € 4000 and higher for Europe. If it will come cheaper, all the better for us.

Didn't the Euro fluctuate quite a bit versus the yen between 2012 (not 2011), when the 5D Mark III came out, and 2016 when the 5D Mark IV was introduced?

In the U.S. the 5D Mark III had a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $3,499 when introduced in 2012.

In the U.S. the 5D Mark IV had a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $3,499 when introduced in 2016.

Upvote 0