Canon EOS R6 announcement moved to July [CR2]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Fair enough. If you read my response you will notice I never mentioned "No one..." or "Everyone...". However in 2 places I could have inserted words such as "in my opinion..." etc. So I have gone back and done that. I do pause before submitting my posts - re-reading them many times. I also edit them afterwards if I think I should have worded them differently. And yes, I will strive to be even more careful in the future. Probably some on this site could try to be more careful, ... you might want to consider it, too.;)

If you can afford a R5 and instead choose to get a R6, then I'm glad you're happy with that choice. If you can post your reasons for that decision, then please do so for me and others to consider so that we can all make better choices. We're all better off with Canon offering both.
I've been around CR long enough, but thanks for your unsolicited advice

Since we don't know enough to make educated decisions, I will save that for the future. It's all conjecture at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm surprised by the number of people on this forum who seem to have already decided that they are not only going to buy one of these two bodies, but which one they are buying and how much it is going to cost. All based on rumors and advertising, without any solid details about either camera, their performance or the real price.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for the inevitable cries of disappointment when reality fails to match up with the fantasy. That will provide months of entertainment.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I'm surprised by the number of people on this forum who seem to have already decided that they are not only going to buy one of these two bodies, but which one they are buying and how much it is going to cost. All based on rumors and advertising, without any solid details about either camera, their performance or the real price.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for the inevitable cries of disappointment when reality fails to match up with the fantasy. That will provide months of entertainment.

To be fair, it's not like folks are waving around a blank check for a big question mark of a camera. We know an awful lot about this product, and folks are generally realistic about the limits that we're likely to hit, especially on the video side. But there's no reason to doubt the headline stills features:

- 12/20 shooting. Canon has cameras that can do this. With the removal of the mirror, there's no reason why faster mechanical rates can't come to the 5 series
- 45 MP with good DR. Canon's recent chips have been great for DR, and we know canon can make high res sensors
- Auto focus has been proven out quite well with the 1DX3
- The biggest question mark for me is EVF lag and performance, but we know good EVFs exist out there (Sony, Leica) and I don't really see a reason why there won't be a marked improvement from the R.

Anyways, if Canon drops this at $4500+ there is going to be a lot of storm und drang for sure. But those just aren't the signals Canon has been sending.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Is it strange for me to wonder that if the R6 has everything a potential customer wanted but since it only had 20 mp they would pass on it? I find that bizarre. Fallout of the megapickles war of the 00's and teens. Give me IQ and DR improvements over the 5D3 with an R5 style body and I'm in. I don't care if they manage it with 12mp.

I couldn't agree more. It is bizarre - and possibly because a lot of folks only read specs and take few photos. Just my experience - which I know may differ from others, but there is no way I would be able to tell the difference between 20MP and 26. I started with the 6 MP 300D, and after a few years I thought I should upgrade to the 12 MP newer rebel. On my screen, and when printing up to 8" x 12", there was no noticeable difference. It wasn't until the 18Mp sensor came out that I began to notice the difference in resolution, but only when I printed around 10" x 15" prints. I seem to recall that it was thought that one needed to triple the MPs for a person to notice the difference on a standard monitor or typical 10" print. These are pics taken hand-held, I might add. Using a tripod might make those extra MPS more noticeable. But, to each their own. That's my experience. So people can feel free to ignore it and keep complaining about things that will in almost all circumstances. make no difference.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
To be fair, it's not like folks are waving around a blank check for a big question mark of a camera. We know an awful lot about this product, and folks are generally realistic about the limits that we're likely to hit, especially on the video side. But there's no reason to double the big stuff, especially from a stills perspective:

- 12/20 shooting. Canon has cameras that can do this. With the removal of the mirror, there's no reason why faster mechanical rates can't come to the 5 series
- 45 MP with good DR. Canon's recent chips have been great for DR, and we know canon can make high res sensors
- Auto focus has been proven out quite well with the 1DX3
- The biggest question mark for me is EVF lag and performance, but we know good EVFs exist out there (Sony, Leica) and I don't really see a reason why there won't be a marked improvement from the R.

Anyways, if Canon drops this at $4500+ there are going to be a lot of storm und drang. But those just aren't the signals Canon has been sending.
"this product"

You must mean the R5 which is not the topic of this thread. We know a decent amount about the R5 but nothing of the R6, Canon hasn't said a peep. It's all been rumor and quoted rumor sources.

Once again, unfocused nailed it.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Absolutely - and the iDX III will have multiple digics involved in that processing, as opposed to the R6's one. It may well be the same sensor, but this shows up the limited role sensors play in camera performance in 2020.
You know the 1DX Mk III only has one Digic Processor right? It has the newly developed DIGIC X processor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
You know the 1DX Mk III only has one Digic Processor right? It has the newly developed DIGIC X processor.
Actually I hadn't noticed that, I'd assumed it had a separate AF-based chip, but looking at the specs it has: "a single processor that replaces two DIGIC 6+ processors in the previous EOS-1D X Mark II camera." Pretty remarkable!

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Actually I hadn't noticed that, I'd assumed it had a separate AF-based chip, but looking at the specs it has: "a single processor that replaces two DIGIC 6+ processors in the previous EOS-1D X Mark II camera." Pretty remarkable!

You were initially correct—mostly—there is a DIGIC 8 as well. However, it only supports DSLR functions—metering, PDAF. My guess is they didn't bother porting those functions to DIGIC X because they won't be needed much going forward ;)

During viewfinder shooting, the EOS-1D X Mark III adds a dedicated DIGIC 8 processor, previously Canon’s highest-performance processor, strictly for AF management and control of the 400,000 pixel RGB metering sensor.

From the white paper: https://www.canonrumors.com/files/Canon_EOS_1DX_Mark_III_Still_White_Paper.pdf

• Wow
Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
(...)

If you can afford a R5 and instead choose to get a R6, then I'm glad you're happy with that choice. If you can post your reasons for that decision, then please do so for me and others to consider so that we can all make better choices. We're all better off with Canon offering both.

I'm in the same situation, and registered an account just to answer you. :)
As of now, I mainly do broadcast work (both with big cameras and smaller productions), and small docs/news/journalistic type work, and event type videos. But I also deliver photos, and have that as mostly a hobby and smaller part of my income, often at the same time as I do broadcast. Still enjoy it as much as a hobby/ fun income projects.

So, why will I probably go for the R6 over R5? Right now, I got a Canon XA50 for video. It has XLR, and covers my needs, for the most part. A R6 will not cover what I am missing. What I'm missing, a updated C100 II would give me. The problem with the C100 II is that its old and not 4K recording. It just does not make sense for me to buy that old of an camera when my XA50 has 4K. Not that I need that as of now, but still. Could of course buy a C200, but not looking to buy a Cinema camera this year, and not next year either. Not needing RAW, and it has some other minor things that could be different.

So the R6 would for me be as a B or C camera. Right now I got a Nikon D5300, with a 16-80 2.8-4 lens. And I'm really happy with it, the image quality is great for me. Only thing missing is better low light and autofocus in video. And, for video, also matching colors and a bit more "cinematic" quality, plus dual card slots. I got that on my XA50, also a Cinema camera will have it, so therefor, for me the R6 should have it.

Simply, I don't need, or want to know that I have 8K, 4K 120p, RAW etc.
So, for photo camera together with me filming for videos, or as a C cam in broadcasting, the R6 seems great for me.

Hope this explains it clear, but please ask if you have questions or thoughts as I am more than happy to answer. :)

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm in the same situation, and registered an account just to answer you. :)
As of now, I mainly do broadcast work (both with big cameras and smaller productions), and small docs/news/journalistic type work, and event type videos. But I also deliver photos, and have that as mostly a hobby and smaller part of my income, often at the same time as I do broadcast. Still enjoy it as much as a hobby/ fun income projects.

So, why will I probably go for the R6 over R5? Right now, I got a Canon XA50 for video. It has XLR, and covers my needs, for the most part. A R6 will not cover what I am missing. What I'm missing, a updated C100 II would give me. The problem with the C100 II is that its old and not 4K recording. It just does not make sense for me to buy that old of an camera when my XA50 has 4K. Not that I need that as of now, but still. Could of course buy a C200, but not looking to buy a Cinema camera this year, and not next year either. Not needing RAW, and it has some other minor things that could be different.

So the R6 would for me be as a B or C camera. Right now I got a Nikon D5300, with a 16-80 2.8-4 lens. And I'm really happy with it, the image quality is great for me. Only thing missing is better low light and autofocus in video. And, for video, also matching colors and a bit more "cinematic" quality, plus dual card slots. I got that on my XA50, also a Cinema camera will have it, so therefor, for me the R6 should have it.

Simply, I don't need, or want to know that I have 8K, 4K 120p, RAW etc.
So, for photo camera together with me filming for videos, or as a C cam in broadcasting, the R6 seems great for me.

Hope this explains it clear, but please ask if you have questions or thoughts as I am more than happy to answer. :)
Thanks for your detailed reply. It seems that you don't need the high end video specs that the R5 is coming out with and as a "B" camera you don't need whatever other features it has over the R6. That makes a lot of sense.

So, in your case, the main (or only?) driving factor to get the R6 is a reduced cost for B camera use, I assume?

The only other issue I could imagine is if you think the larger pixels in it's 20MP sensor vs R5 45MP sensor would give you better low light quality? I'm curious if that was part of the decision, as that question seems to be an endlessly argued debate. I think it will only truly be answered when both are released and thoroughly tested. My guess is that there will be no appreciable difference, but we'll see.

Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Thanks for your detailed reply. It seems that you don't need the high end video specs that the R5 is coming out with and as a "B" camera you don't need whatever other features it has over the R6. That makes a lot of sense.

So, in your case, the main (or only?) driving factor to get the R6 is a reduced cost for B camera use, I assume?

The only other issue I could imagine is if you think the larger pixels in it's 20MP sensor vs R5 45MP sensor would give you better low light quality? I'm curious if that was part of the decision, as that question seems to be an endlessly argued debate. I think it will only truly be answered when both are released and thoroughly tested. My guess is that there will be no appreciable difference, but we'll see.

Yes, I could buy the R5, but I don't need or want the extra megapixels, or knowing that I have that number of MP. So simply price to performance.
With low light performance and that discussion I don't know how much MP actually has to say, but all the best/better low light cameras have lower MP. Nikon D5, 1DX II, A7S II and so on. So at least it's not negative, right? Anyways, as the D5300 is both cheaper, older and has a smaller sensor the R6 will have better low light performance. Let's say it has max ISO of 51 200, it will probably be usable for me up to about 25600 ISO.

Really exited to see what Canon actually comes out with, as of now the R6 doesn't exist at all officially.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
But look at how many more people think the R5 will come out *above* $3,500 - many mentioning prices up to (and sometimes beyond) $6,000. Now a seasoned betting man would recognize this and decide to give "odds" as appropriate. So if you feel strongly that it will be $3,500 or more (as I assume you do) then what odds would you be willing to give in order to make the bet? :unsure:
Yeah, good question, but this was just a joke, so let's try more serious guessing. I personally expect the R5 to come on the same price level like the 5D cameras, including a typical inflation with every new model. The 5D Mk IV hit the European market with € 4000, when it was new, the 5D Mk III in 2011 with about € 3100, so that logic would go for € 4999 for Europe as an initial price. Main competitors are currently the Nikon Z7 (body:€ 3000), the Sony A9 and A7RIV (both € 3600 for the bodies). Since the step from the 5D II to III, Canon really changed their pricing strategy to a premium level. So I'd expect something around € 4000 and higher for Europe. If it will come cheaper, all the better for us.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Yeah, good question, but this was just a joke, so let's try more serious guessing. I personally expect the R5 to come on the same price level like the 5D cameras, including a typical inflation with every new model. The 5D Mk IV hit the European market with € 4000, when it was new, the 5D Mk III in 2011 with about € 3100, so that logic would go for € 4999 for Europe as an initial price. Main competitors are currently the Nikon Z7 (body:€ 3000), the Sony A9 and A7RIV (both € 3600 for the bodies). Since the step from the 5D II to III, Canon really changed their pricing strategy to a premium level. So I'd expect something around € 4000 and higher for Europe. If it will come cheaper, all the better for us.
Yeah, I thought your comment was more in fun, which my reply was also. :D

€4,000 is a well thought out, and probably much more agreed upon estimate. You mentioned Euros, but often US prices are a little less, so I'm guessing you'd say $4,000 US as well? I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if that's what it came out at.

I think it's really about how much Canon wants to jumpstart their attack to take the market share lead in the FF mirrorless segment. They could be in their 'normal' price setting mood, or their "fire all the cannons and take no prisoners!" mood. I'm guessing more of the latter, but it's just a guess with a whole lot of hope (since if the price gets too high then I have a hard time justifying immediately buying in versus waiting for the R5s if I'm going to spend that much).

One day soon we'll have the unveiling of the price. That'll be quite a day, either way!

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
In a pandemic, the rich are still rich. They will continue to buy Leicas unabated.
Remember the "Oil Shock" in the seventies?
2 companies which fared well were Rolls Royce and Mercedes Benz.
Absolutely no worries, Leicas sell well !
The question rather is whether the rich feel like buying...
PS: not all Leica customers are rich, far from it !

Upvote 0