Canon is planning an EOS R5 C Mark II [CR2]

Sep 20, 2020
They’re all great things to want. But where on an R5 size body do you fit XLRs and an entirely new battery type?
Micro XLR and solid state.
My answer address how but not why.
Micro XLR is not really necessary since we now have the TASCAM adapter and solid-state batteries are too expensive right now.

Upvote 0
The 2 main reasons I didn’t buy the R5 C is the micro-HDMI and the just OK video autofocus compared to the one in R5 and R6. If they address at least these 2 issues, I will surely buy the new body to complement my C70 and replace my R6.

Indeed, ND filters and gyro stabilization would be awesome, as would be a serious battery life. But I don't trust Canon to revamp too many things at once in this camera...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
For a hybrid camera such as the R5 C, I would rather have a mechanical shutter than ND.
Besides, we have the drop-in filter adapter for EF lenses.
Just goes to show how we all use our cameras differently. The R5 C fits in my med to large size hands well. I'm ok with no mech shutter or onboard ND, but if they found a way (electronically, etc) I'd take it. As far as continuing to support EF, I'm done. I still have a handful of great L glass, but they are on my chopping block. Once the C200/300/500 are replaced with an RF mount, Thats it for EF. I know they will be around for another decade, but I'm not investing in them any longer, nor the Canon or Meike drop ins. If I shot professionally, it might be more important to me, but I can do without.

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
This poses a problem for myself and I believe others.
I posted asking if there were any whispers about the R5C Mk. 2 awhile back however,

For people looking for a solid 4K HQ quality of camera it's going to be a gamble between the R5 MK 2 and the R5C mk 2
It's too early to have concrete specs for both of them.

If the R5c Mk.2 has a better design and the battery isn't pathetic and the OS is better why not go for it over the R5 MK 2..
Why drop close to 4-5 grand on the R5 Mk2 with only h.265 when hopefully the R5c Mk2 will have a friendlier codec..
It just depends on how much time. R5c Mk2 feels like a year or two away?
For everyone asking for better battery you’re fundamentally misunderstanding what the R5C is. Mark 2 will have exactly the same kinds of design trade offs with battery life that the current Gen has.

The question you need you ask yourself is “Do you need a cinema camera?” Not everyone does. It’s not automatically ‘better’ just because it has a C on it. For a lot of situations it’s harder to use.

Are you shooting for Movies and TV or high end commercials that need professional broadcast codecs and complex meta data to fit into a high end production workflow? Fantastic get a cinema camera.

If you’re shooting anything else, weddings. YouTube, corporate. Why would you make your life harder? Get the regular R5? The battery life and auto focus will be better not to mention way smaller video file sizes still with exceptional quality.

If you’re going to the shops do you use a pick up truck or a formula one car? The Formula one car goes faster but there’s no boot space for groceries, it’s harder to park, uses more fuel. I mean you could use the F1 car for sure. But it would be way easier to go with a pick up truck.

Choosing between the R5 and R5C is the exact same kind of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Not necessarily.
The voltage of the battery is too low.
All Canon would need to do is have a different battery.
Canon aren’t going to make a specific new battery for a single one model of camera. You’ve just explained why they will still use LPNH.

As it is. The R5C is more power efficient than a C70. If you hook them both up to a 100wh v mount the C70 runs 9hrs and the R5C runs 10hrs. And that’s despite being full frame and over sampling from 8K.

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
I question if Canon should make a camera with active cooling that is not a cinema camera like Panasonic with the S5 II and S5 II X.
Clearly they don’t see the need. Especially if as the report claims the R5C has been selling so well a mk 2 is on the boards for 2025.

Which just goes to show how much nonsense all the talk of ‘they just slapped a fan on the back and rushed it out’ talk was as a reaction to R5 overheating.

Canon can barely keep a lens in stock for 12 months after launch yet somehow they rushed to market an entirely new camera in the middle of a worldwide shipping crisis and chip shortage in just a few weeks???

The R5C will have been designed alongside the R5 as R5C2 is alongside the R52.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
In the grand scheme of things, I am very pleased with the R5 C. The still imagery is fantastic. It runs all day in photo mode on one battery. If I really push it, and things run long I just pop in a spare.

4k video. For that I'd carry two batteries and maybe a USB-C PD. The one I have fits in my pocket and is more than adequate. If you are going to shoot in 8k, that requires a little more planning. In that case a Small Rig v-mount battery set up. Now it basically runs all day unless you are sitting with the oversampling on idle. Press the media playback button and problem solved.

I waited (to upgrade) through it all. R because it was the first mirrorless. RP because it was too small. R6 because 24MP and the R5 because of the over heating which to some extent has been largely eradicated with firmware. The R5 C is still by far superior to the R5 if you are interested in video. Primarily due to its additional codecs. If you aren't, then there is no need.

For someone who primarily shoots stills, the R5 with ibis is a top performer. I wanted more, and didn't care about ibis so much. I paid more and got it in the R5 C. I'm not defending it just because I have one. Its a great camera. Are there things I wish it did differently, sure, but thats been true of every camera I've owned, except my AE-1.

I believe as @Scenes does. The mkII variants of both cameras will use the same battery size, but like the LP-EN6H and the newer battery made by small rig, Canon will figure out how to further reduce power draw of the camera and beef up power delivery to some extent. The R5 C mkII being a year or more away doesn't bother me. I have a great camera now. I'll probably be ready for the C mkII when it comes. I've got the glass which should last until I can't hold a camera up any longer. Then I'll be EoL insted of my camera :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
In the grand scheme of things, I am very pleased with the R5 C. The still imagery is fantastic. It runs all day in photo mode on one battery. If I really push it, and things run long I just pop in a spare.

4k video. For that I'd carry two batteries and maybe a USB-C PD. The one I have fits in my pocket and is more than adequate. If you are going to shoot in 8k, that requires a little more planning. In that case a Small Rig v-mount battery set up. Now it basically runs all day unless you are sitting with the oversampling on idle. Press the media playback button and problem solved.

I waited (to upgrade) through it all. R because it was the first mirrorless. RP because it was too small. R6 because 24MP and the R5 because of the over heating which to some extent has been largely eradicated with firmware. The R5 C is still by far superior to the R5 if you are interested in video. Primarily due to its additional codecs. If you aren't, then there is no need.

For someone who primarily shoots stills, the R5 with ibis is a top performer. I wanted more, and didn't care about ibis so much. I paid more and got it in the R5 C. I'm not defending it just because I have one. Its a great camera. Are their things I wish it did differently, sure, but thats been true of every camera I've owned, except my AE-1.

I believe as @Scenes does. The mkII variants of both cameras will use the same battery size, but like the LP-EN6H and the newer battery made by small rig, Canon will figure out how to further reduce power draw of the camera and beef up power delivery to some extent. The R5 C mkII being a year or more away doesn't bother me. I have a great camera now. I'll probably be ready for the C mkII when it comes. I've got the glass which should last until I can't hold a camera up any longer. Then I'll be EoL insted of my camera :ROFLMAO:
Great post. Exactly, if you want to run the R5C CINEMA camera all day you need to treat it like a cinema camera and rig it up. You don’t see posts on Arri forums complaining a 150wh battery only lasts a take. Because it’s a cinema camera pushing the edge of what’s possible tech wise and battery draw is expected.

Yet for some reason we expect a canon hybrid cinema camera to be simultaneously incredibly small with all day battery life, have enough dynamic range so you don’t need to light a scene, be small enough to easily carry yet big enough to have NDs XLRs and be weighty enough to handheld, and 8K file sizes should be small. Did I miss anything?

The mis matched expectations set for the R5C is partly due to Canon and partly due to customers not doing research. I’ve spoken to so many disappointed R5C owners who bought it wanting an R5 that didn’t overheat and should have bought an R3. When what they got with the R5C was a C300 in a small box and didn’t know how to use it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
I disagree, consumers continually allow these companies to get away with bullshit. The OS for the R5c is poorly written and contributes to battery usage. The R5c was marketed as a TRUE HYBRID.

The technology is here. They could have made a new battery, they could have designed it better. Research online the problems people have with the fans.. The FX3 is a much better cinema camera in dimensions. The R5 should have NEVER overheated. Two batteries for 4K is a joke btw..

Planned obsolescence. They will never want someone to stop buying their products. Unless you make a big stink nothing will change.
You sound like you're angry about a bunch of loosely connected things there. You're posting in a canon forum. If you want to use the FX3. Great. No one is stopping you?

The R5C is a true hybrid. It's a cinema camera and a stills camera. The problems arise when customers don't realise CinemaOS is very different compared to the regular R5. But if you're coming at it from using Canon cinema cameras and want something familiar that also shoots stills, its perfect!

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
It’s clear you feel that way but for me and many others it’s exactly what we were looking for. And the article we are commenting on says it’s been a big seller for Canon. So I’m happy. Canon is happy. Many other owners are happy. You just seem to be the only one really angry and it’s not clear if you even own either camera?

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
You’re missing the point and excusing a poorly designed product both the R5 and r5c have major cripples that didn’t have or need to be there..
Can you please punctuate correctly? Reading this gives me a headache. My third-grader learned not to do run-on sentences months ago--and English is his second language.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I disagree, consumers continually allow these companies to get away with bullshit. The OS for the R5c is poorly written and contributes to battery usage. The R5c was marketed as a TRUE HYBRID.
Oh no!!! Well, I guess Sony and Nikon will wipe Canon out of the market then, if Apple doesn't beat them to it. I have to say the R5 is the first camera I've ever owned that gets me near 100 out of 100 on what I've always wanted from photography. First time since getting a EOS-1N in 1995, which I think probably scored about 4 out of 100 on the same scale. Leica M6, probably also about 4 out of 100. I guess I'm just an idiot moron for letting Canon get away with a camera this good.

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Yes I am a very upset and angry little man. I wouldn’t assume everyone is happy with it and of course the company is going to tell people their product sold well.. a lot of people settle and buy extra things to problem solve.

Not I, and I am positive others feel similarly, don’t single me out bro lol. I’ll buy a product when it can truly replace everything I already do but at the 4K level with no cripple hammer. Even canon users like myself understand that cannon cripples its own products. This is my argument and it’s unacceptable.
I don’t see what parts of the R5C have even been hit with a cripple hammer?

I see intelligent design trade offs that someone has made. But for once it really is everything canon can fit in one box with no limits.

Would I like all day battery life sure. But that’s not realistic in a world where Arri Alexas use up a 150wh battery per take on set. If you want something with the power of a cinema camera you have to accept it’s gonna suck power.

Would I like NDs and XLRs. Sure. But that would mean a bigger body and that product exists it’s called a C70.

Would you like Clog2? Canon don’t make a full frame 8K sensor capable of clog2. The R5C is the bleeding edge of what’s possible with current tech.

I can see design decisions you may not agree with but certainly no cripple hammer. Unless you have massively unrealistic expectations that canon should make some unicorn product that’s physically impossible??

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Chalk me up as another happy owner. One who understands and appreciates the body for what it is. >>> Really great.

Its not for everyone and if that's the case your consolation prize is Nikon or Sony, Fuji, Panasonic or? f another body appeals to you more, by all means, buy it.

The R5 C just continues to get better.

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Please built in nd filters in the body= no more dirt on the sensor. World's first photo camera with nd's.
For those who want Ibis should just get the regular R models
Dirt hasn't been an issue for me. My shutter closes when the camera turns off. The R5 is the same.

1690858620470.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0