Canon Launches Five Versatile 4K Camcorders

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY, September 7, 2022– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions,announced the launch of four professional camcorders – the XA65, XA60, XA75, and XA70 – alongside the VIXIA HF G70 camcorder. The new camcorders are suited to a wide range of uses, including documentary, corporate events, and education. Capable of capturing amazing 4K quality content and HD UVC Streaming via USB-Ci, with advanced autofocus and face detection functionality, these models offer excellent performance. All of them enable MP4 and On-Screen Display (OSD) recording, while the four professional camcorders feature XF-AVC recording to support broadcast applications. Additionally, Canon has announced a firmware update for the XF605 camcorder.

High-Quality 4K Capture
With Canon’s line-up of compact camcorders, content creators can easily capture stunning 4K footage in multiple scenarios. Powered with the DIGIC DV6 image processor and leveraging the 1/2.3-inch type CMOS sensor and...

Continue reading...

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
4k 60p? They have 4k 30p (in 2022!) and then manufactures are suprised that the market for camcorders is not very big...
Sorry, double checked and you are right. Well, its almost hard to see why they even bothered launching these new cameras..
(The reason I got it wrong was from one of the national camera stores has a blog post where it were stated wrong.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I do shoot video occasionally, but almost never on my ILCs. I may pick up the Vixia HF G70 to replace my aging Vixia HF M41.
It's been a while since I looked at camcorders. So I had another look, and agree with the posts above that there's really not a significant benefit to the HF G70 over the HF G50. The basics are identical – same sensor, same lens, same video formats, same dual SDXC media. The bigger, high resolution screen is nice, but even my old HF M41 has easily enough resolution to properly compose shots. USB-C transfer is nice, but since unlike my M41 these don't have internal memory, a USB-C card reader will do just as well.

But comparing the G50 and G70 got me thinking about the numerical gap between them, so I went looking for the G60. Turns out that will better meet my needs, which include a fair bit of low light video. The G60 has a lower zoom ratio with a slight bias to the wider end (15x from 25.5mm equivalent vs. 20x from 28mm equivalent), and a slower lens (f/2.8-4.5 vs. f/1.8-2.8), but that's driven by the larger sensor (1" vs. 1/2.3"). I really dislike the vacuum tube-based sensor sizing that is an irrelevant anachronism, but the G60 sensor is 4x the area of the G50/70 sensor, the equivalent to the difference between FF and m4/3. Since I frequently argue the benefits of FF over APS-C in low light, going with the larger sensor is a logical choice for me.

I know I can use the FF sensor in my R3 for video and have a much larger sensor, but the form factor of a camcorder just works better for me, as does the convenience of having a 25.5-383mm superzoom lens.

I did look at other brands, but almost all the camcorders with a 1" sensor are 'pro' models with XLR inputs, a rigging handle, etc., i.e. a much larger form factor. There's a Sony model similar in size and form to the G60, but with a 12x zoom starting at 29mm. Add to that the fact that I already have Canon mini-shoe accessories like the directional mic and video light that are compatible with the G60, and I decided to stick with Canon.

The B&H Deal Zone today for a 2-pack of 128 GB UHS-II v90 for $189 goes well with the G60, so I ordered both and B&H shipped them this evening.

Upvote 0