Canon Launches New Camera Cloud Platform – image.canon

10 GB for 30 days? Pass. There are so many better options out there and with modern higher MP cameras that is only 200 shots. I burn through more than that in a day of bird or wave photography.

It's unlimited for 30 days i.e. a temporary hub where you then have 30 days to automatically or manually send them elsewhere at the same time. All original RAW, JPG, HEIF, Video etc.

Examples:

Studio Portraiture:

In my studio it can upload immediately and directly to the hub while I am doing a shoot and then send the photos to my editing computer (and NAS) and auto-import them into Lightroom as I go. Also display them on a large TV/screen for almost immediate review. Great for my workshops to show models/clients etc...

Weddings/events:

Just switch camera on when I get home late at night and it auto uploads to the hub and computer. (temporary cloud backup 30 days) Then deal with the rest later.

Travel:

Upload to the hub whenever you can e.g. hotel, knowing photos are safe for 30 days while travelling. If camera and cards gets stolen or other misfortune whilst travelling.

As long as you have WiFi and it is fast enough etc. Which will only improve in the years to come.

It is all free too for Canon camera owners.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It took 33 posts for someone to notice this.

With the Canon Cloud, it means that not only are you insured against card failure, but also against theft and a host of other concerns. Cloud+ 1 card is safer than 2 cards?

I predict that in a few years many cameras will be like phones, and not have a removable card at all.

Also off-camera storatge buffers for extreme needs beyond network capacity. Like a pack of cards in your pocket to absorb the extreme data rates.
With 2000 photos shot is span of 4 hours, how are you going to beam them up the cloud if each is around 45Mb large. Think about risks of card corruption during the time between a shot been taken and uploaded. It may take hours. And if your memory card gone haywire You are truly screwed.
Also, read the Cloud Ts and Cs. Canon won’t be held responsible for any loss or corruption of data in the Cloud. All risks are yours. You should have a clear understanding of legals judging by your forum name.

P.S. cards do get corrupted. Here is my use case. If not me being boring and saving to both cards simultaneously.. I would be truly shafted.

Attachments

• 02DE921D-3A09-44E9-AA9D-F7638882E4EB.jpeg
    02DE921D-3A09-44E9-AA9D-F7638882E4EB.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 4D398237-5B92-4651-9949-6318F4F3ED57.jpeg
    4D398237-5B92-4651-9949-6318F4F3ED57.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
With the Canon Cloud, it means that not only are you insured against card failure, but also against theft and a host of other concerns. Cloud+ 1 card is safer than 2 cards?

Only if you have wi-fi for a sufficiently long time to upload all the photos. Furthermore, some people would rather their photos would not be uploaded to the cloud, e.g. the iCloud leak.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0