Canon Medium Format Talk, It's Not in the Works

Mar 2, 2012
Sator said:
I wasn't aware that Hasselblad and Phase One offered 24MP medium format sensors for people who just wanted the medium format "look" because higher resolution like 100MP count for nothing.

It's not that it counts for nothing, the size of the format encourages high pixel counts.

What I meant is that, every medium format buyer I can think of went to the format due to the size of the sensor, not due to the pixel count. A 70MP 135-format isn't likely to lure them away from their 50MP MFd format.

It will be interesting to see how LargeSense does (if they can bring a product to market) with their 9" X 11" sensor at 12MP. I suspect they'll live or die by how well the whole contraption works and what lenses they can support it with, etc., not by the cellphone-esque pixel count.

Sator said:
Found the interview:

http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/tv/video-interview-canon-eos-5ds-and.htm

For anyone who wants to say that he doesn't specifically state that the 5Ds sensor is a "scaled down" version of the experimental 120MP sensor, which he reminds us was first demonstrated publicly back in 2010, it is clear nonetheless that Canon does translate its R&D into manufactured lines even if in a scaled down fashion.

Thanks. I thought you actually meant scaled down, i.e. either size of format or size of pixels, as opposed to applying lessons learned from technology prototyping.

Upvote 0