Canon not at Focus

B

BlackEagle

I read the following argument on a couple of web pages. Hope it answers your question a'little :) But I have to warn you.. No one really knows why. Everyone is just speculating at this point..

Focus on Imaging had an attendance number of over 37,000 last year; however, CES 2011, which Canon attended (with a large booth) saw 140,000+ visitors. The obvious difference is that Focus on Imaging has what would seem to be a more relevant audience, while CES brings in a more technologically diverse crowd.

One possible explanation in why Canon attended CES and not Focus may be market penetration. That is, if you are a photographer, you already know Canon. You may not use a Canon camera, but if you own a DSLR, you are at least vaguely aware of Canon’s DSLR and lens line. But if you are a general tech consumer you may not be that familiar with Canon line up. So, the more general tech audience and press members are perhaps more likely to be lured in by Canon’s rather diverse offerings at general tech shows like CES (DSLRs, point and shoots, camcorders, printers, etc.).

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
The other thing, is the smallish number of attendees. If only 38 some thousand attend Focus, and 150,000 visited the Canon booth, there is a serious error in math here. Maybe some stopped by several times to get freebies.

Even a medium sized county fair will have 300,000 or more in attendence, and many of them will own or want to own a point and shoot camera. The cost of a booth at a county fair is just a pittance compared to what the expos charge.

Canon could get a lot more exposure by setting up booths at fairs all over the country, at least in the USA. Many fairs run 1 million or more attendees.

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
traveller said:
You're a year out of date, this thread is from 2011!

You'll be please to know that the FOCUS ON IMAGING 2012 website states in big yellow letters:

"NEWS: Canon will be exhibiting at FOCUS 2012, more news to follow soon. "
+1 canon will be there as will i :D anyone else going?

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

yep, i'm planning to go. Need to have a play with 1DX and GX1 with memory cards in so i can give them a final look over before i consider fully my upgrade options from my 5D2's...

That is - do i upgrade, or do i just stay as i am!

And before any one jumps in, i do have some valid reasons for wanting to change bodies, i'm more of a general shooter than landscape and studio. A much as i like t=much about the 5D2's (all except focusing) - the focusing has been a bit of a stumbling block for a few money earning shoots (sports events), so i need that issue fixed.

Upvote 0
>>Focus on Imaging had an attendance number of over 37,000 last year; however, CES 2011, which Canon attended (with a large booth) saw 140,000+ visitors.<<

2012 CES officially reported 153,000 attendees. To add - CES is covered extensively by major media in television, web, and print. Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Sony were all in Central Hall; with Nikon covering the floor with yellow brochure bags and Canon signage across the front pillars.

While Focus may attract a more industry-knowledgeable crowd, CES allows for market expansion and global visibility.

But there is one truth about trade shows. The expense to properly exhibit is very high - and it is hard to reason the return on investment. But exhibitors have to be there. So Canon not at Focus maybe a statement about Focus's impact more than about Canon's budget.

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
Arkarch said:
>>Focus on Imaging had an attendance number of over 37,000 last year; however, CES 2011, which Canon attended (with a large booth) saw 140,000+ visitors.<<

2012 CES officially reported 153,000 attendees. To add - CES is covered extensively by major media in television, web, and print. Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Sony were all in Central Hall; with Nikon covering the floor with yellow brochure bags and Canon signage across the front pillars.

While Focus may attract a more industry-knowledgeable crowd, CES allows for market expansion and global visibility.

But there is one truth about trade shows. The expense to properly exhibit is very high - and it is hard to reason the return on investment. But exhibitors have to be there. So Canon not at Focus maybe a statement about Focus's impact more than about Canon's budget.
canon are at focus in 2012 they did not attend in 2011.
also why on earth would you compare the ces exhibition to focus both completely different shows ces is for all the upcoming future technology from around the globe.focus on imaging is the largest uk photographic show everything there is to do with the photographic/video industry thats it no comparison should be made between these 2 please do not do this again.

Upvote 0