Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Exactly, i would order it immediately if it had IBIS.

I’m also a little concerned about the weather sealin
Exactly, i would order it immediately if it had IBIS.

I’m also a little concerned about the weather sealing..
Why would you order it immediately if you were concernd about weather sealing? There are very few Cinema cameras with weather sealing. Most all have fans. What do most cinematographers and motion picture camera operators do in inclement weather?

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This really isn't a proper stills camera (no IBIS) or a proper cinema camera (no full size HDMI, no ND, etc).

To me, that means it's a niche camera designed for someone who really wants to shoot 8K on a budget. That's definitely not everyone, but for that purpose, it's probably going to be the best camera on the market. It's too bad that it's a bit crippled, but at least the price is right this time.
"Proper stills" Tell that to many professional photographers that shoot medium, large format, and film. Cameras are niche devices. All of them. As if saying a "proper guitar" or proper paint brush.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
When people say video people don’t want ibis that is a very small group based in Hollywood, gimbals are overrated for many situations. People who buy this are the hike a mountain types that can only cary minimal gear, or people who do content gathering for news work that maybe high paced, canon misses the mark on this by removing the ibis. I shoot and do video work with motocross I legit was wanting this camera to have ibis to keep a more compact set up. Canon went cripple hammer and want people to buy both.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
"Proper stills" Tell that to many professional photographers that shoot medium, large format, and film. Cameras are niche devices. All of them. As if saying a "proper guitar" or proper paint brush.
IBIS is a useful feature in a stills camera. I'd argue not having it means your images, overall in aggregate, will be objectively worse than they would have been if you had purchased a very similar, less expensive camera (the R5). If someone shoots stills a lot more than video, the fact that the R5C costs $500 more than the R5 probably isn't the reason they would choose the R5.

If you want to argue "all cameras are niche," fine. Some are a lot more niche than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Most professional videographers that are shooting 8k60 are using gimbals and disengage IBIS. I shoot medium format, large format, and many times film for my clients for my stills work. Never needed IBIS on my Pentax 67II. Photographers or videographers that only use one camera are rare. Many already have cameras with IBIS. And have no problem shoting with motion picture equipment without it. Yes amateurs that carry around one single camera for a gig most likely will complain about IBIS. Skill, no substitute for it. Lens stabilization and eye autofocus is all I really need for digital stills. However when shooting film, medium format, and large format, don't need it whatsoever. Many young photogs that have ditched their digital for film are not crying over the lack of IBIS. A gimbal with IBIS engaged? Really?
You contend those that only use one camera are rare… but isn’t the purpose of a hybrid to be suitable for both jobs? So you only need to carry one camera? I’ll agree IBIS is not ideal for video, but in a hybrid the answer is to allow the option for IBIS to be locked down… like Nikon do… not removing it altogether.

This camera feels hurriedly put togethe. Not even the rear LCD screen fits. Am I the only one noticing this?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
You contend those that only use one camera are rare… but isn’t the purpose of a hybrid to be suitable for both jobs? So you only need to carry one camera? I’ll agree IBIS is not ideal for video, but in a hybrid the answer is to allow the option for IBIS to be locked down… like Nikon do… not removing it altogether.

This camera feels hurriedly put together. Not even the rear LCD screen fits. Am I the only one noticing this? I feel like I’m take crazy pills!

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
So officially no IBIS?
Yes, not surprisingly. As I always guessed, IBIS is the weak link when it gets to effectively cool such a high performing sensor. If you are a bit into semiconductor tech you weren't surprised by the R5's so-called "heating problems" (since it is a stills camera in the first line, Canon did a good job). The massive data rate of 8k video transforms any sensor into a little oven, so it needs a really strong connection with heat sinks to achieve an appropriate cooling rate.

Semiconductor electronics isn't effective when compared with biology. A computer with about the estimated computational performance of a human brain (for experts: in terms of FLOPS is definitely petascale computing required) would consume lots of megawatts and turn most of it into heat. In contrast, our brain consumes about 20 Watts and heats up to roughly 37 degrees Celsius only.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Never needed IBIS on my Pentax 67II.
Well, the Pentax 67II has what I'd call "passive IBIS", simply by physical inertia - more than 1.6 kg with OVP, but still no lens, no battery. Fascinating camera. I currently shoot medium format film with the much lighter New Mamiya 6 system, mostly free-hand. With its silent electronic leaf shutters I can get down to 1/30, sometimes even 1/15 s if I have a relaxed day, depending on the lens. Never drink too much coffee before you use such a camera and everything is fine :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SilverBox

I'm not new here
CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
I think canon is just not aware of a market segment of people doing both video and photo basically at the same time, switching from one to another during the shoot.
I think Canon is very aware of the market segment of people doing both. As @jam05 said above, many pros have more than one body. I imagine that Canon knows who their customer is, and it's the hybrid shooter that has more than one camera. Now instead of having an R5 for stills and a C70 or C200 for video, a shooter can have an R5c for stills and 8k raw video as well as a smaller camera for gimbal work with superior AF to the rest of the cinema line, as well as their C70/C200 for lockdown shots etc.

I think that this idea that there should be one camera for all things is an antiquated mindset. These are professional tools with specific use cases. I use a 2x R6 bodies for shooting events and when I need more mpix or higher res video, I rent an R5 or C70, or use my backup 5Div.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
As someone evaluating the R5 for stills + a _little_ bit of video (80% stills/20% video or so), I decided to wait on the R5 C just to see if the extra video features would sweeten the pot. Three points convinced me that for my use case, the R5 will be ideal:

1. Lack of IBIS
  2. The camera just got a _lot_ bigger in back
  3. $500 more for features that _I_ won't need (of course, YMMV)
If your use case is 80% stills then an R5 CINEMA was never going to be the right camera for you.

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
IBIS is a useful feature in a stills camera. I'd argue not having it means your images, overall in aggregate, will be objectively worse than they would have been if you had purchased a very similar, less expensive camera (the R5). If someone shoots stills a lot more than video, the fact that the R5C costs $500 more than the R5 probably isn't the reason they would choose the R5.

If you want to argue "all cameras are niche," fine. Some are a lot more niche than others.
Definitely a useful feature and if I ever buy another camera, I'll get one with it. But it's only been offered by Canon for a couple of years, so you're effectively saying all their other/previous offerings aren't 'proper stills cameras', which is just silly. Plus it's only effective at some focal lengths, and many Canon lenses have IS so missing IBIS isn't depriving you of optical stabilisation. As for 'objectively worse'... I mean, it gives extra options, makes some types of shots easier. But you can't tell from an image whether it used IBIS, ILIS, both, or neither, so again this is a pretty silly statement. Given that it seems from what others are saying here that it's been omitted for good technical reasons, I think focusing on this misses the point somewhat.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Great camera for those looking to buy an R5 today but really should have been released in July 2020 alongside the R5 and the exaggerated promise of an 8K production camera.

Sorry Canon, as an R5 owner this leaves me a little disappointed and still has me waiting on a full frame RF Cinema camera with all the pro features like ND, full HDMI, SDI etc, etc, etc..... :(

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hybrid shooter and C300 III and R5 owner who's looked at the C70 with a lot of interest but never pulled the trigger. This was an easy preorder. Canon priced it at the exactly right number to be competitive.

A few things that stand out to me:

No IBIS is a good thing for video -- it drives me crazy on the R5 because it couldn't always be disabled depending on the lens (I don't know if firmware has corrected this).

Micro HDMI is surprising, but in fairness the point of the camera is to have everything in-body in a small package. This isn't a big studio production camera... it's run and gun fun. The C70 is still the better option at this price point if you're someone who wants to rig up with external monitors, V-mount batteries, etc.

XFAVC, higher bitrates, the two different menu systems, C-series features such as false color, and obviously the unlimited record time really make this a compelling camera for a hybrid shooter. You don't need anything else except ND and a lot of batteries.

If you ONLY do video, the C70 is still the obvious option in my opinion.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0