Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

Jul 21, 2010
Yep same with me. The R3 just made a lot less sense once Nikon announced the Z9. If Canon knocked the price of the R3 down by $1000, then I think it becomes much more palatable. At this point, I'm thinking the R5 Mark II (another 1-2 year wait at least) or the R1..
The R1 will likely be substantially more expensive, and while I suspect it will have QPAF or some other tech equivalent to cross-type AF points and be blazing fast, I don't think the specs will be hugely different from the Z9. So, waiting for the R1 does not really make sense.

For many years, brand choice was really about lens selection. In some ways, that hasn't changed. I really like my compact 70-200/2.8 and my 28-70/2, and those aren't available for Nikon or Sony, so the R3 makes a lot of sense, to me.

Just a general comment, I don't have a horse in the video race as I don't use my ILCs for that, except a few seconds of footage I once shot on my 1D X by accident while customizing the buttons.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Then use an R5. What about CINEMA do people not understand? As others have explained, Canon needed to remove IBIS in order to offer efficient cooling for cinema use. If you need IBIS because you can't get a sharp picture with a stabilized lens, then buy an R5.
Well I need a good Hybrid camera, with video without handicaps R5 is missing a lot of those check points. As I said unfortunately I think I will have to extend for the R3, would prefer slightly cheaper and smaller R5c with IBIS since I think Switching to another system would be a waste of money.
Also I have 28-70 which is not stabilised and that is the lens I use for 70% of my work...Don't understand your "aggressive" attitude? So people can't be disapointed? Especially after spending a decent house with a property on the equipment in last few years?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Almost none of you WERE going to buy this camera. Almost none of you ARE going to buy this camera. Everyone simmer down here. With Canon delivering cameras like the R6, R5, R3, when they produce a product that isn't for me I couldn't care less now because they've addressed the holes in their lineup core where they were lacking. Plus, where did all the "if they added $500 for a model with a fan, I'd definitely buy that" people at? Oh wait, people just say stuff.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
What a shame they invested time and effort in this Frankenstein monster instead of getting an R7 into production.
And who is to say they haven't? Maybe it's not fitting into 'our' timeline here on CR but I bet the Canon R 1.6x is coming.

I've heard this complaint a thousand times over the years, an announcement is made and a small minority cry for something else totally unrelated.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I still use a 5DMkiv alongside my R5, so I'm used to experiencing the difference that IBIS can make. Sure, it's absolutely possible to take razor sharp photos without IBIS, but an improvement of roughly 2 stops (in my experience) is nothing to be sniffed at...
I simply think there is a world of difference between "nothing to be sniffed at" and "without IBIS, this camera is junk."

Upvote 0

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014
So much drama in this thread...

I didn't pull the trigger on C70 due to lacking AF but I think R5C will be as close to perfect for me as currently possible.

For me biggest issue will always be with NDs, but I never anticipated in a mirrorless style body built-in ND filters, so no surprise there.

Having two OSes, one for photo and video mode is brilliant, as an engineer (software) it makes just sense - especially given that they have two different lines of products - which makes a lot of sense if there will be people using mostly one mode (video in this case)...

Looking at CVP coverage of the R5C it takes ~5sec for a switch to be fully completed - which might be long for some - but for me definitely workable.

Otherwise love it - the form factor, the same weather sealing and other things.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Almost none of you WERE going to buy this camera. Almost none of you ARE going to buy this camera. Everyone simmer down here. With Canon delivering cameras like the R6, R5, R3, when they produce a product that isn't for me I couldn't care less now because they've addressed the holes in their lineup core where they were lacking. Plus, where did all the "if they added $500 for a model with a fan, I'd definitely buy that" people at? Oh wait, people just say stuff.
I preorded today :)
Gonna replace one of my R5 with it.
I think its a perfect camera, given the versatility and quality. There is pretty much no compromise at all for me in this camera =)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Not a camera I would be interested in as video doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
First impressions - quite chunky.
Second impression hard to please all the people with the same device.
Lack of IBIS - I've lived my whole life without it and can still take unblurred photographs.
Micro HDMI - Is this really a big deal, what's another cable type, I've about 20 as it is. Another one wouldn't bother me. Full HDMI is a quite a large connection I'm surprise any camera can give up that much space for it (but they do).
Price seems reasonable for a Cinema camera.
An R5 would be enough for most people

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
A really nice feature would be a trade in/up program for those of us with R5's who shoot a lot of video. :D :ROFLMAO:
There is still a pretty strong secondary market for R5s. You're lucky in that respect, though there is a little more work on your end to post it, sell, it and ship it. Probably do better that way though than trading in at your local dealer.

Brian

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
I simply think there is a world of difference between "nothing to be sniffed at" and "without IBIS, this camera is junk."
Absolutely. I think for a lot of people they expected IBIS to be in it because it was in the R5, and also for many having IBIS in it was one of those points that put them over the top on it and they’d pre order same day. I’m not in that group, but I understand the sentiment.

i have a c70, R6, 5DsR, 7D, & a c500 currently. I use them all in different scenarios. There are definitely times I wish the 5DsR had IBIS. So many times. I’m absolutely keeping the c70. For me the choice was this, or save for the R1. I’m definitely leaning towards the R1, will probably sell the rest soon, and pick up a second c70 in the meantime. But everyone has their hopes, and everyone has the specific specs that take a product over the top for them.

If i were starting out and did both photo and video, it would be this hands down. An amazing upgrade for a lot of newer / newish shooters. one body, amazing specs overall, get to save some money( if you’re in this price range anyway) to put into other gear for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Apparently there is no animal eye autofocus in video mode. Seems it is using dpaf version 1 for video mode and the current battery grip will work on the camera.
Really? I was hoping we’d get that over on the c70, but sadly no. Really surprised that’s it’s not in this.

Anyone know of any technical limitations as to why they would omit it from the cinema side on the R5 C?

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
I would've preordered immediately if it had IBIS. I can live with Micro-HDMI and the other issues, but it needed IBIS for the type of run-and-gun shooting that I like to do.

But I also do a lot of photography. And when I do that photography, I inevitability end up shooting video. But now I don't have IBIS. And when I look at the costs of jumping into the RF world from EF, I really do not want to face any trade offs.

BTW - I don't think the R5 ever needed a fan at all. The 1DC never needed a fan - all it had was a very well designed heat sink. Ultimately the R5 just needed a better designed heat sink as well.

So there's no good excuse here for why IBIS was removed, other than finding a convenient way to differentiate the products and forcing you to buy separate photo and video products - which seems to have always been the Canon gameplan from day 1.

The sad part here - which was expressed in the early R5 reviews - is that more photographers are doing videography. Its not that people are taking less photos, but just that more people are also taking video. So a hybrid shooter is really want consumers want. So does Canon really understand the market anymore?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
While I certainly understand the disappointment with no IBIS, dual-boot, micro HDMI... I also see the potential here. There are a lot of people already loving the current R5 for video production. People who are making a good living with the current offering. But, now, with what looks to be a scaled down R&D cycle for a 'new' camera release, Canon has the potential to make a lot of people happy. This camera is going to be a solid performer, for a good price. This looks like a camera that will make Canon a lot of money. I'd love to know how much of the R5 parts and manufacturing process is shared between the two iterations.

Upvote 0