Canon officially announces the development of the RF 100-500 f/4.5-7.1L IS USM, 1.4x and 2.0x extenders

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Okay, I get that f7.1 isn’t a big deal for a mirrorless full frame camera, but for an “L” lens?

Doesn’t say “L” to me.

Seriously? Somehow everybody is fine with the 100–400mm with 1.4x at f/8 but the same lens with a "1.25x" builtin extender that you don't even have to toggle on and off is somehow "not L"? Sheesh…

The only reason f/5.6 was the limit for so long was that DSLRs could not focus reliably much beyond that. But DPAF can focus down to f/11, and at the same time sensors and IS systems are better than ever. There's absolutely no reason to artificially limit engineers by imposing an arbitrary f/5.6 max aperture limit.

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0
Seriously? Somehow everybody is fine with the 100–400mm with 1.4x at f/8

I dont use extenders so seeing a f7.1 is disappointing as some of what I do is in poorish light - the focal lengths would have been VERY useful. Hvae to agree with the comment this seems like an odd f value for L-Glass

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I dont use extenders so seeing a f7.1 is disappointing as some of what I do is in poorish light - the focal lengths would have been VERY useful. Hvae to agree with the comment this seems like an odd f value for L-Glass

A 100–500mm f/5.6 would be much larger and more expensive than the current EF 100–400mm, with a 90mm front element required. I guess f/6.3 could've been doable.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Not at all. This lens is in the same size and approximate weight class as the 70-200/2.8L and the 100-400L. They all have the same aperture size and all take 77 mm filters; 25% longer (than 400) roughly corresponds to 2/3 stop. Or 2/3 of a 1.4x TC, if you like.

Ah, if only life was that simple.
Actually it is, in this case.

FWIW this is *exactly* what I wanted to see - slightly longer than the 100-400 but no (or very little) bigger.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Of course the biggie here, what are those extenders going to go on. Surely something brighter than the 100-500mm. As fun as a 1000mm f14 sounds.

Still hoping for a 200-500 f/5.6 for those that don't use the 100-200mm mark. But this 100-500 is something I can shove in my backpack with a gripped R5 and bring out everywhere. Bit slow for 'sunny' Scotland, but not even f/2.8 has saved me during much of the year. And we have something like 8 stops of IS, it won't freeze action, but should work fine on less timid animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Seriously? Somehow everybody is fine with the 100–400mm with 1.4x at f/8 but the same lens with a "1.25x" builtin extender that you don't even have to toggle on and off is somehow "not L"? Sheesh…

The only reason f/5.6 was the limit for so long was that DSLRs could not focus reliably much beyond that. But DPAF can focus down to f/11, and at the same time sensors and IS systems are better than ever. There's absolutely no reason to artificially limit engineers by imposing an arbitrary f/5.6 max aperture limit.
I agree completely, plus you still have access to 100mm instead of 140mm. That matters to me as I need the reach for the racing event on the water and then try to capture the smiles as they paddle back into the dock.

However, they announced a 2x alongside this 100-500 as well, which puts it beyond f/11, what new tricks for focus limits might the new R5 have up it's sleeve?

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
On every forum almost every comment is about the 7.1 aperture at 500mm. Not sure if this is good marketing for Canon.
I know that its just a bonus to have an extra 100mm of the weight and price is about the same as the EF 100-400.
But if Canon released a bit smaller 100-400 with 5.6 at long end, everyone would be happy.

Let’s list all the consumer oriented technology companies that follow the forums and give the customers what they say they think they want...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Let’s list all the consumer oriented technology companies that follow the forums and give the customers what they say they think they want...

It's like the quote people attribute to Henry Ford, "People would've said they wanted 'faster horses', not cars".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu

Arguing about all this is kind of senseless until we see the aperture transition through the zoom range and the weight and size of the lens.
We have no idea if it can do 400/5.6 but I fear it can not. In case it can and just jumps to 7.1 above 400mm and they even managed to have it the same weight as the 100-400, I say it's good.
But if not, then I would be happier with just an RF version of the 100-400 which is an excellent lens, and who knows, maybe the RF version could even be lighter which would be MUCH appreciated.
And no, I do not use a 1.4X with my 100-400. Shooting at max f/8 which is actually at least f/11 if you also want it to be sharp is usually not something you want.
I disagree with your idea of having a builtin extender which you don't have to toggle on and off - it's an extender which you can't take off to get a faster lens or better IQ. Well, the whole concept of talking about a builtin extender is false I think. The only construct that can be referred to as a builtin extender is what we see on the 200-400. Otherwise we could talk about all the longer lenses as being the shorter ones with builtin extender. Silly. Just forget it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
480px-Total_lunar_eclipse_on_January_21%2C_2019_%2845910439045%29_%28cropped%29.jpg
I fixed the post.

Upvote 0