Canon Officially Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
AF point spread is an obvious, direct and shameful 5D line protection effort by the vendor. No thank you. I am going to call this camera Rebel 6D from now on. My plan is to upgrade one of my 6Ds to 5DIV by mid next year.
What a crock...
bereninga said:
smithcon said:
It's disappointing to see the AF points clustered so tightly around the center; was hoping for a better spread.
It is nice to see that 27 AF points support f8, and DPAF looks amazing.

Is DPAF aperture limited? How does it do in low light? Looks like I will be making liberal use of DPAF if I get one.

I agree. The spread of the 45 af points is nearly.... pointless. Lol

It looks similar to the current 9-point spread. At least they're cross type, all near the center.

Upvote 0
So here it is! Solid, but a little underwhelming... as expected!

Quite a few are expressing surprise that the 45 AF points are so tightly clustered, but did anyone expect anything other than the 80D's AF module? If not, then it should have been obvious that the coverage would be far smaller in a full frame viewfinder (remember the criticism Nikon took when it did the same by putting the D7000's AF module in the D600?).

The lack of dual card slots is also an obvious differentiator to keep professional users with the 5D line.

The lack of 4K is a marketing mistake: even if 95% of the people that whine on the forums about the 6D Mk.II's full-HD only spec will never use 4K video, it is still an increasingly important "tick box" to have on a spec sheet. From a marketing point of view, it looks poor that a $2000 DSLR can't match the latest iPhone's video spec. Even if the 6D Mk.II 4K output was cripples from a professional user's point of view (and there are plenty of ways to do this: low bit-rate, large crop factor, etc.), the magic "4K" symbol should still have been on the box.

We'll have to wait and see how the sensor performs, but it worries me that DPreview are reporting that it doesn't seem to be as good as the 5D Mk.IV in their preliminary field tests. Especially concerning is their report that:
"According to Canon representatives, the 6D Mark II should outperform the original 6D (which it very evidently does) but may not offer the same kind of dynamic range and absolute resolution of the EOS 5D Mark IV." [https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8979194861/the-same-but-different-canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-shooting-experience]
Hopefully, this is just a processing software issue (they were using DPP) and performance improves when using Camera Raw... I think that we were all hoping that Canon had turned a corner with regard to the read noise issue... :-\

All in all, the 6D Mk.II seems pretty competitive against the Nikon D610 & D750 and the Sony A7II. The problem is that these cameras are now approaching the end of their lives and are not only all much cheaper than the 6D Mk.II at launch price, but may also be updated at the end of 2017. Perhaps this is an indication that Canon intends to put the 6D series on a shorter update cycle, as whilst the 6D Mk.II is a solid camera today, it seems harder to imagine that it will still seem competitive in four to five years time.

Upvote 0
LOL. Amazing how all these new or fairly new CR accounts suddenly care about a feature that nobody had even mentioned in the preceding months - namely AF point spread ::)

They've upgraded almost every feature of this camera's predecessor, but clearly it's DOA according to these guys. There's not enough eye-roll emojis in the world.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Actually, let me explain: no one was expecting such a silly move with 6DII AF spread from Canon. It was almost given to expect at least a little wider AF points spread. It is so obvious, that no one even gave it a single doubt.

scyrene said:
LOL. Amazing how all these new or fairly new CR accounts suddenly care about a feature that nobody had even mentioned in the preceding months - namely AF point spread ::)

They've upgraded almost every feature of this camera's predecessor, but clearly it's DOA according to these guys. There's not enough eye-roll emojis in the world.

Upvote 0
For some, 6D mark II is a crippled 5D mark IV (maybe even totally crippled 1DX mark II). But all manufacturers do the same, car manufacturers do the same.

For example last time Audi introduced new A3, it was a totally crippled A8 model. It was much smaller, ligher, less powerful, less equipped car. They didn't even put in V6, V8 or W12 engine! Well at least they made it much cheaper. Maybe they made it for another group of customers with different budget and requirements..?

As for me I'm going to buy 6D mark II in the near future, maybe after the first price drop or when the first cashback appears. It will be definitely a big upgrade from my 7D.

Upvote 0
Deva said:
$1,999 in the US - and it's £1,999 in the UK! I appreciate the pound's been going to hell in a handcart for the last 12 months, but it's not at parity with the dollar yet - it's almost $1.30 today. What's Canon got against Britain?

As always, US prices don't include sales tax (if any - depends on state). UK has 20% VAT.
[/quote]

Even with the 20% VAT taken in to consideration, it is still £150 more expensive in the UK.

Upvote 0
Deva said:
4D said:
$A2548 here in Australia at Digidirect, which is actually cheaper than the US.

It should be $A2630 at current exchange:

$1,999 in the US - and it's £1,999 in the UK! I appreciate the pound's been going to hell in a handcart for the last 12 months, but it's not at parity with the dollar yet - it's almost $1.30 today. What's Canon got against Britain?

Do we really have to go through this every time? Yes, things are relatively more expensive in the EU and UK. No, it's not just Canon being mean. Yes, it's going to still happen for the 1DX3, 5D5, and 6D3. And everything else.

Upvote 0
ScottyP said:
At least these AF points light up red when selected as god intended. Not like the abomination that is the system with non-illuminated ones in the god forsaken 5d4. ;)

Can anyone overlay the af points of the 6d2 on the points from 5d4 to see what we're really looking at?

have a look in the manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1177396/Canon-Eos-5d-Mark-Iv.html?page=152

And for a god forsaken abomination of a camera it certainly takes some rather nice pictures! :)

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
"purposefully gimp the sensor" you're kidding, right?

Jack

sorry i'm interested in facts not canon fanboying. if the DR is closer to the original 6D then it is to the 5DIV then they used a purposefully inferior sensor and I won't be buying the 6dII. This is based on DRP's initial report which is why I said I am waiting for more reviews instead of pre-ordering like I originally intended.

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
Deva said:
4D said:
$A2548 here in Australia at Digidirect, which is actually cheaper than the US.

It should be $A2630 at current exchange:

Do we really have to go through this every time? Yes, things are relatively more expensive in the EU and UK. No, it's not just Canon being mean. Yes, it's going to still happen for the 1DX3, 5D5, and 6D3. And everything else.

So a quick check on a comparably priced product - Canon USA store is currently offering the 5D MkIII at $2,300, whilst the Canon UK store is offering it at £2,160, which is the expected difference taking into account exchange rate and VAT, as noted by TallDan76. The 6D MKII still looks over-priced in the UK.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
here it is. very approximated, compensated for 95% OVF of 6D II ( inner grey rectangle - 6d II - viewfinder view, outer grey rectangle - same, but compensated for 95% OVF coverage, aligned with 5d IV viewfinder view, red rectangles - 6d II AF zones, blue - 5d IV AF zones, light blue little squares - 6D, original, 11 points AF system spread...) your comments, Scotty??

ScottyP said:
At least these AF points light up red when selected as god intended. Not like the abomination that is the system with non-illuminated ones in the god forsaken 5d4. ;)

Can anyone overlay the af points of the 6d2 on the points from 5d4 to see what we're really looking at?

Attachments

• Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV-6D-Mark-II-AF-Points-Overlay.jpg
    Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV-6D-Mark-II-AF-Points-Overlay.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,259
Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
SecureGSM said:
here it is. very approximated, compensated for 95% OVF of 6D II ( inner grey rectangle - 6d II - viewfinder view, outer grey rectangle - same, but compensated for 95% OVF coverage, aligned with 5d IV viewfinder view, red rectangles - 6d II AF zones, blue - 5d IV AF zones, light blue little squares - 6D, original, 11 points AF system spread...) your comments, Scotty??

ScottyP said:

You failed to note that the outer points on the 5D-IV are not cross-type, so cross-type coverage is very similar. The 5D-IV does have a slight advantage in vertical spread for the central group of AF points.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
scyrene said:

Here comes the Canon Defence Forces on Forums.... How dare anyone possible can criticize Canon after all they are the imaging "leader" in the world.

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
SecureGSM said:

ScottyP said:

The overlay is BLUE for 5DIV, RED for 6DII and LIGHTBLUE for 6D, right? Well, the 5DIV is a little wider without doubt, while the two 6D are spread just like the same...if the spread is according to my current 6D, than it's ok i think :)

Upvote 0