Canon Officially Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
I find those "AF is so clumped up and it's useless" argument hysterically hilarious. While it's truly APS-C 80D AF module, AF points spread is actually not that smaller than e.g. 5D III or 1D X. You can still comfortably focus on the thirds node. Hell, I can focus on the golden ratio node with my AF-wise mediocre 6D. Yes, it could be better, but do you seriously expect AF system from 1DX2/D5 to make it into the cheapest FF body? People are too greedy - wanting 1500 € body with 6000 € worth of paper specs...

People are so spoilt by MILC AF points spread, they forgot it's actually quite expensive and physically demading to make TTL PDAF array to cover most of the viewfinder. Even those MILC spread are usually PDAF mostly in center and CDAF in the outer regions. If you truly need that, you can use 80% coverage of DPAF using LV. Or simply change systems, if that'll will suit you better. But bitching and moaning about Canon this and Canon that, while still clinging to your L lenses and Canon bodies is quite annoying and immature.

Yes, 6D is rather average, not bleeding edge, not revolutionary and definitely not pro-specced camera. You want bleeding edge technology? Go to Sony (and cope with its ergonomics, I know I tried...). You want 4K video? Go to GH5/XT2. But guess what - Canon will still probably sell 6D2 by the bucketloads making many people happy creating beautiful images.

Oh right, I almost forgot: "Canon is surely doomed, everybody jump ship and smash your L lens collection into smithereens" :p

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
CanonCams said:
Aglet said:
quod said:
Mikehit said:
No camera is gong to have a big boost in sensor quality over the 6D. Sensor technology has pretty much stalled in the last 5 years and it is all about compromises.
I shoot the A7RII. Yes, it *does* have a big boost in sensor quality over anything Canon. Sorry dude, but I shoot both systems. No speculation here.

I know 2 pro photogs who have convinced themselves their next body is a FF Sony ML a7-something unless the 6d2 IQs like a 5d4 or better.
With the Sony they can continue to use the Canon glass they're comfortable with and have invested in while greatly improving overall IQ ability over Canon FF.

I'm sofa-king happy I made the move (to Anything But Canon) years ago.
I really don't know why people have such an irrational emotional attachment to the current under-performing overlords of imaging when the whole litter of underdogs outperforms them by a considerable margin.
If you need better raw files, ABC cameras provide that.
Canon still does make good-enough, fun-to-use, overpriced, optical toys tho. :)

You made the move yet still post on a canon forum.

Why?

T-R-O-L-L

Please don't feed the trolls.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
neuroanatomist said:
The fact is, people generally buy what best meets their needs. It's not an 'irrational emotional attachment', it's a thoroughly rational choice to buy the system that best meets one's needs. Apparently, you cannot seem to grasp the simple fact that your own personal needs differ from others. In other words, what you really don't understand is reality.

Easily the most hilarious post ever!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CanonCams said:
Aglet said:
...trolling...

Why?

He just wants to get us all pumped up waiting for the useful and relevant photos he plans to take with his new 6DII. For those lacking the forum historical perspective, Aglet is a big proponent of lens cap photography. He's even blogged about it!

Aglet said:
..and now you can finally see the useful relevance of actually shooting with a lens cap on ... (see my tech blog if you forgot)

'The useful relevance of actually shooting with a lens cap on'. Love it! Can't wait for the lens cap shots with the 6DII, and those with the ABC Sony A9...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
transpo1 said:
smithcon said:
And a hands-on preview video is up from Kai Wong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0crokqG2uYg

Recommend everyone on this forum watches it from 5:52 on ;) His analogy is great. https://youtu.be/0crokqG2uYg?t=5m52s

You've made your point so effectively, that I don't even have to watch the video to understand how critically important 4K video capability is in this day and age.

Check again: it helps when you choose the right resolution ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-06-30 10.16.43.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-06-30 10.16.43.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tron said:
Aglet said:

I'm sofa-king happy I made the move (to Anything But Canon) years ago.
Yes! I hear that this brand ("Anything But Canon") is a very good one. Very qood in low and high iso, fps, ergonomics and with a great selection of lenses. ;D

Dude, your brand sucks and has none of those. You need to switch to the EBC brand – "Everything But Canon" – to get all that and a bag of chips!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
CanonCams said:
Aglet said:
...trolling...

Why?

He just wants to get us all pumped up waiting for the useful and relevant photos he plans to take with his new 6DII. For those lacking the forum historical perspective, Aglet is a big proponent of lens cap photography. He's even blogged about it!

Aglet said:
..and now you can finally see the useful relevance of actually shooting with a lens cap on ... (see my tech blog if you forgot)

'The useful relevance of actually shooting with a lens cap on'. Love it! Can't wait for the lens cap shots with the 6DII, and those with the ABC Sony A9...

Dude, you are way behind the times. No need for lens caps anymore, we have the PC-E2, which opens up a whole new realm: Camera Protective Cloth Photography.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
unfocused said:
neuroanatomist said:
CanonCams said:
Aglet said:
...trolling...

Why?

Aglet said:

Dude, you are way behind the times. No need for lens caps anymore, we have the PC-E2, which opens up a whole new realm: Camera Protective Cloth Photography.
Have you heard of the magic cloth technique?

Upvote 0
transpo1 said:
neuroanatomist said:
transpo1 said:
smithcon said:
And a hands-on preview video is up from Kai Wong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0crokqG2uYg

Recommend everyone on this forum watches it from 5:52 on ;) His analogy is great. https://youtu.be/0crokqG2uYg?t=5m52s

You've made your point so effectively, that I don't even have to watch the video to understand how critically important 4K video capability is in this day and age.

Check again: it helps when you choose the right resolution ;)

P.S. If you're having bandwidth issues, Neuro, you should contact your provider :p

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
StudentOfLight said:
unfocused said:

Canon marketing the PC-E2 as merely a protective cloth, instead of a multipurpose photography tool...now that's a marketing blunder!

:D

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Canon Magic Carpet?

neuroanatomist said:
StudentOfLight said:
unfocused said:

Canon marketing the PC-E2 as merely a protective cloth, instead of a multipurpose photography tool...now that's a marketing blunder!

:D

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
reef58 said:
I am not really sure what you mean irrational emotional attachment. I use Canon because it does what I need it to do.

As do we all. It's a tedious, transparent, predictable trolling trick to ascribe an emotional or psychological failing or weakness to what is actually a logical, rationalised decision.

Makes them feel better about themselves, I suppose...

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
rfdesigner said:
EDIT: not quite so good in the UK, Pentax are well up here

They're nice enough cameras (assuming you're not too fussed about AF accuracy or speed) but a prime reason they sell in the UK is that local camera shops can get stocks of Pentax, whereas Canon only supports the biggest chains/stores in the UK.

So you can walk into a local store in the UK, fondle a Pentax, and then do the crappy trick of buying one from Amazon...

(I don't much like that about Canon - but then again the only camera outlet near me is the Newcastle "London Camera Exchange" store - and they do Canon anyway).

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Remarkable.
I have lost count of how many people there are heavily criticising the 6D2, and they have a total number of posts lower than the IQ of the average 2 year old.
So I ask myself what makes them so insecure that they even come onto the Canon forums let alone feel the need to criticise a camera they have no intention of buying and have often bought into competitor's systems.

Insecure....so insecure.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Re: Canon Officially Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

tron said:
Jack Douglas said:
Me thinks it's Dilbert reincarnated. For now I'm out of this thread, so no feeding from me.

Jack
Or ... cloned to many copies ;D ;D ;D

No Aglet isn't Dilbert. Aglet is Canadian and 'sells' prints out of an animal feed store. He reappears every time there is a new release and pans it saying how happy he is with his camera de jour.

He was one of the most vocal critics of the 5D MkII and his inability to take a correctly exposed picture with it because he insists on using M mode and doesn't know what he is doing lead to excessive shadows lifting, which he said resulted in unacceptable IQ from scenes with as little as 5 stops of DR. He was pre DRone, he was the 'banding' zealot.

Anyway, there is a point to my post. Most of us take IQ way too seriously. I am currently in Hawaii and there is no shortage of photo galleries, I was in one the other day and overheard the photographers technique for choosing his biggest prints done on plexiglass with back illumination. He prints his favourites at small sizes and sees what sells, he then makes bigger prints of the most popular and repeats the process. Pride of place in his showroom with a $2,600 price ticket was a 60" print of a sunset (I hate sunsets) with some rock formations in the foreground.

To a person who earns their living as a photographer the print was horrific, yet it was his best seller. It was clearly taken with a fisheye and defished and you could tell that because the banding and noise in the lifted shadow areas followed those contours. I'd guess it was taken with a Canon from over five years ago because it did have a 'look', not least of poor processing techniques.

But again, whilst this might seem critical it isn't, we are the fools for worrying too much about minutiae, he is out there doing it with the gear he has and people love it, it was his best seller and he is a pro photographer with his own gallery.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Remarkable.
I have lost count of how many people there are heavily criticising the 6D2, and they have a total number of posts lower than the IQ of the average 2 year old.
So I ask myself what makes them so insecure that they even come onto the Canon forums let alone feel the need to criticise a camera they have no intention of buying and have often bought into competitor's systems.

Insecure....so insecure.

Really? I think the Canon fanboy tendency on this forum to vehemently defend even mild criticism of their favorite company reveals much more insecurity.

Upvote 0