Canon officially announces the IVY REC clippable outdoor camera

Like seriously, who is going to buy those?
I'm pretty sure it was crowd sourced so I'll bet the people who paid Canon before it was released will probably be the ones to buy it. It's not for me, but if they can use crowd sourcing to fund its development, then it probably does have a market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Even though it is smaller than a cellphone, most people already carry a phone with them at most times which can record images and videos. I can't see something like this selling a lot of units.

Probably you aren't going to clip your $1000+ phone - or even a $500+ one - where you're going to clip this....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Great question. What can this thing do that the Smartphone does not do better? I wish Canon luck at selling it.
My smartphone is in my dry bag as i float/fly down the river. This is clipped to my Osprey pack. One of many scenarios. Not sure why the forum geniuses cannot come up with these things.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Nikon announces Nikkor Z58/ 0.95
Canon announces clippable thingy.

How many units of the Nikkor Z58/0.95, a manual focus prime, is Nikon going to sell at $8,000 a unit?
How many clippable thingies is Canon going to sell at $130?

I suspect the clippable thingies would contribute to Canon's bottom line more than the Nikkor to Nikon's.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I guess Canon knows their market over there, but wow...I still keep asking myself WTF would you do with these things?

C
Non fish eye lens perfect for body cam, clip it on to a backpack and use it for recording activities like trekking, biking, etc... like I mentioned before this is where Nikon Keymission 80 was targetted but failed. Canon Ivy being cheaper and much easier to use will be selling with same action cam crowd who dont want a fish eye camera.

Upvote 0