Canon officially announces the PowerShot V10 and launch of the PowerShot V camera series

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
C'mon guys, quit being so judgmental.

Which is more narcissistic, taking photos of yourself on trips to fun locations or thinking anyone cares about the fact you captured the "perfect" shot of a heron catching a fish? They are different sides of the same coin.

Fact is, photography is a very narcissistic hobby. Whether you are taking pictures of yourself and your friends and family, or taking pictures of things, at the heart of it all is pride and self-admiration. If it's not narcissistic, it's usually voyeuristic. Or both.

A few years ago I had the task of culling through by dad's hundreds of slides from the 50s and 60s of our family vacations. I threw out almost all the pictures of things. The ones I kept were the ones of us at various places we visited across the country – the "selfies" that some of you are knocking. Those were the only ones I knew anyone would care about.

I also realized, when I was going through them, how similar his pictures of geysers at Yellowstone, were to my pictures of geysers at Yellowstone. And, how they were like the thousands of other pictures of geysers at Yellowstone that get taken every year. It helped to put my own pictures in perspective and I realize that one one is gonna care about those pictures of birds, animals, mountains, flowers, nature, buildings, etc., etc. that I spend hours processing to get the "perfect" image. It's the crappy pictures of my grandkids birthday parties, Christmases, etc. that people might actually want. The "Selfies."

Most of the people you are knocking are the same people who are having a great time on their trips. It's the "serious" photographers who make themselves a burden to their spouses, kids and fellow travelers with their obsession over getting "perfect" shots, that are the ones missing out.

I'm as bad as the next person on this forum. But please, let's not act all superior because we think those selfie-loving Gen Z whippersnappers are doing it wrong.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I wish literally any camera company would make a small rangefinder camera with a 35mm lens and FF sensor. It's incredible that nobody has managed to do this yet.

The only options are film cameras. Hard to believe.
Leica Q2, small, fantastic lens and sensor, great mechanics. But...expensive, yet worth it!

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
yeah because what is the point of taking a photo of a place without you or your family/friends in it. you might as well download a pic off the internet and say you took it. don't get me wrong. I love taking gorgeous pics of places I've been with my R5. but for my family/friends, it's all about the selfie.
Sorry, but my friends know I know their faces, but not necessarily the places they've been to...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It's the "serious" photographers who make themselves a burden to their spouses, kids and fellow travelers with their obsession over getting "perfect" shots, that are the ones missing out.
It’s a fine line to walk. A lot of my ‘places’ travel photos are taken when I attend scientific conferences. On family trips, I sometimes go out alone for golden hour / blue hour / night photography while the family is asleep (hitting blue hour is hard now that the kids are older).

The reality is that at most destinations, getting the ‘perfect’ shot isn’t possible anyway because of other tourists. Even a tripod and 10-stop ND often aren’r enough. Plus, the light during the day usually isn’t ideal, unless you get a good assist from the weather. Going out at dawn is usually best for good light and lack of people in the shot.

In the past on family trips, I’ve brought an M setup for daytime use and a FF body for solo dawn/night outings with a tripod. This summer, I’m bringing just one kit with the R8. The tripod, TS-E 17 and (if I bring it) RF 100-400 will stay at our lodging during the day. I bought a Think Tank Retrospective 5 v2, which doesn’t scream camera bag and hollds the R8, RF 14-35/4, RF 24-105/4 and RF 24/1.8. The fit is tight (I abhor extra space in a camera bag), and the bag is small enough that I won’t be required to check it in venues that require that for backpacks and large bags.

I do agree about shots of family, they’re ‘memories’ and those are important. Decades from now a picture I took of the Eiffel Tower won’t evoke nostalgia. Pictures of the family in Paris will.

205599AB-E008-43FA-B2BD-FA1A1B040EC5.jpeg4484BB78-7073-4B0C-B768-9038B8D10999.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
The problem I have with selfies in front of sights is the bragging aspect. In some cultures people seem to have to prove that they have been there. That seems quite strange to me. Who would pretend that he was is a far away country although he was not? In China you can even buy phone cases that make a $100 phone look like an iPhone. That is quite shocking for me. If I had an iPhone, I would want a case that makes it look like a cheap phone. In cultures like that people even put selfies on their walls. A selfie in front of Eiffel Tower, one in front of the Statue of Liberty, one in front of Taj Mahal and one in front of the Sydney Opera House. The reason is not to be reminded of that nice journey, but to make guests see how well travelled they are.

In Northern Germany, where I come from, bragging is seen as a very bad habit. That goes so far that we do not take people serious any more, if they drive a typical bragging car like a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari. If you have more money than others here, you never talk about that. That seems to be very different in other cultures. I heard from Germans in Dubai who were told that they should sell their cheap car and get an expensive one, because otherwise people will look down on them and it will damage their business. Even the United States have a bragging culture, which is quite untypical for rich countries like that.

Tomorrow I will start a journey to seven cities on four continents and I promise that I will not do a single selfie. On my Insta360 panoramas I will be visible of course, but I will cover my face and will try to get myself out of the photos and videos in post. I will take a lot of photos of skyscrapers and if someone will tell me that he does not believe that I was really there, I will not really care. I would not try to prove it by showing the stamp in my passport or so.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Egocentric folks like that could save bundldes of cash by simply learning how to use Photoshop .
Wouldn't it would be great if Canon installed Automatic Selfie Detection software in the Powershot, and then presented you with 2 options:

either "Subject Elimination with Background Enhancement",

or "Subject Replacement with Attractive Brunette".

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It’s a fine line to walk. A lot of my ‘places’ travel photos are taken when I attend scientific conferences. On family trips, I sometimes go out alone for golden hour / blue hour / night photography while the family is asleep (hitting blue hour is hard now that the kids are older).

The reality is that at most destinations, getting the ‘perfect’ shot isn’t possible anyway because of other tourists. Even a tripod and 10-stop ND often aren’r enough. Plus, the light during the day usually isn’t ideal, unless you get a good assist from the weather. Going out at dawn is usually best for good light and lack of people in the shot.

In the past on family trips, I’ve brought an M setup for daytime use and a FF body for solo dawn/night outings with a tripod. This summer, I’m bringing just one kit with the R8. The tripod, TS-E 17 and (if I bring it) RF 100-400 will stay at our lodging during the day. I bought a Think Tank Retrospective 5 v2, which doesn’t scream camera bag and hollds the R8, RF 14-35/4, RF 24-105/4 and RF 24/1.8. The fit is tight (I abhor extra space in a camera bag), and the bag is small enough that I won’t be required to check it in venues that require that for backpacks and large bags.

I do agree about shots of family, they’re ‘memories’ and those are important. Decades from now a picture I took of the Eiffel Tower won’t evoke nostalgia. Pictures of the family in Paris will.

View attachment 208954View attachment 208955
Great family shots that undoubtedly bring back wonderful memories. :D

Selfies are different though...

I think folk have to be pretty self-obsessed to take endless photos of themselves, just to prove to their facebook "friends" that they've been somewhere.

I've just looked in the mirror, and yikes - the very LAST thing I want a photograph of is myself! :sick:

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
My sister in law showed me her beautiful USA trip pictures.
All I saw was her, in front of what could have been interesting landscapes (Arches, Grand Canyon, Brice Canyon, Yosemite etc...) Her aim certainly was to demonstrate "I was there, this is the proof".
After picture 5 or 6, I got so bored that I begged her to email me the remaining pictures, so I could quietly look at them without hurry. :rolleyes:
Yes, I lied...and I'm not ashamed! I hate these selfish selfies.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Wouldn't it would be great if Canon installed Automatic Selfie Detection software in the Powershot, and then presented you with 2 options:

either "Subject Elimination with Background Enhancement",

or "Subject Replacement with Attractive Brunette".
There was a time when you simply handed your camera to an onlooker if you wanted to be in a picture at a location. In that format, you were at a distance from the camera and simply there, but the scene was still the dominating factor. With the selfie craze, people take pictures of themselves at arms length or at best with a selfie stick and the resulting image is of them (mostly just their face) with a little bit of the backgroud around the periphery. The obvious egocentricty shows when the individual is the dominant subject in the photograph and I think that is what those of us offended by the craze are saying. The above family shots by neuroanatomist are a perfect example of the old way. The girls are in the picture, but they don't totally dominate (not at all in the second photo). The point is, he took their picture from a reasonable distance, whereas if they had taken the shots themselves, the pictures would have been annoyoing because they would have domintated the images and the scene would almost certainly have been compromised. The old way says, "I was there in a beautiful place". The new way says "look at me". The difference is glaring, not subtle.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Sorry, but all of this hatred of selfies is strange to me.
People just want to document their own lives.
Being judgemental of other people does not seem like something to be proud of.
It is okay, if they want to have a photo for themselves to preserve the memory when they were standing in front of a famous building, but the idea of trying to make other people jealous with those selfies is quite an evil act. It reminds we of people who pose with their cars. People have no idea how many people live paycheck to paycheck and can never afford a vacation.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There was a time when you simply handed your camera to an onlooker if you wanted to be in a picture at a location. In that format, you were at a distance from the camera and simply there, but the scene was still the dominating factor. […]
This is what I still do, especially for groups shots.
At my previous job, selfies were very useful for recording who was present at business dinners when filling out the expense claim :)

And comparing to the selfies on e.g. instagram, my mild dislike for taking them is likely due to me not being good at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It's not a hate of people taking selfies.
In my case, it was out of frustration not being shown, as promised, pictures of these great National Parks, but of huge faces covering 75% of the landscapes.
Additionally, when I last was in Yosemite, I saw many people looking at their cellphones taking selfies, and less at the landscapes. I found it sad, could indeed be named a form of intolerance, to neglect these beautiful landscapes being so self-obsessed.
Neuroanatomist's picture of his little girls in front of the huge painting is an excellent counter-example...best of two worlds.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It's not hatred - I don't feel hate towards anyone. It's bewilderment, sadness and pity for a generation of people so obsessed with themselves that they don't even notice the beauty of the world around them.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com

Beautiful daughters (?) and photos! I have taken many photos I like during travels (none with me inside the frame, mostly because I hate being in front of a camera), but it was certainly easier when I was alone or with my wife only.
I've done the same as you, reserving some "photo me" times to focus on my hobby... Nowadays, though, the little one requires way too much attention, which, to be fair, I am more than happy to provide :D

My daughter is 9 yo now and it's in a "I hate when daddy trains his camera at me" phase. It was easier when she was little, These days, to get good images with her, I need to be patient and wait for her to "forget" that I am around. I have found that tele lenses help (far from sight...) and I like attending to birthday parties and similar events with plenty of other kids, since the more she plays the more wonderful expressions I capture. Incidentally other parents are happy to see me as well since they know I will share photos of their kids as well...

My travel camera is my R5 and a few primes (c'mon Canon! release the fast 35mm L already! :rolleyes: ) and the 100-500 when I expect some wildlife opportunities (or if I am skiing with my daughter). Now I "have to" carry my drone as well ;) yes it is super small and light, but it's another bag with different batteries, charger, etc. I am thinking about the new Mavic 3 Pro but that one is even bigger and heavier... oh well o_O
Once, 4 years ago, I travelled to Italy with just my Hasselblad MF digital back and a couple of HC primes. That camera is not really good for chasing active kids, but I still managed to take images I like. In the end though, the weight and the worry (it is a delicate beast, difficult to get repaired and to get replaced) and the atrocious AF mean that that trip will remain an isolated event.

So I guess I will share a couple as well :love:
R5 & 100-500 @100mm - Curacao, she's proud for having made the swim to the small coral reef all alone
_98A7019.jpg

R5 & TS-E 24mm II - Highpoint State Park (NJ), little explorer
_98A3540.jpg

H5X + P65+ & HC 2.8/80mm - Perugia (Italy), looking at the hills
CF052626.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It's not a hate of people taking selfies.
In my case, it was out of frustration not being shown, as promised, pictures of these great National Parks, but of huge faces covering 75% of the landscapes.
Additionally, when I last was in Yosemite, I saw many people looking at their cellphones taking selfies, and less at the landscapes. I found it sad, could indeed be named a form of intolerance, to neglect these beautiful landscapes being so self-obsessed.
Neuroanatomist's picture of his little girls in front of the huge painting is an excellent counter-example...best of two worlds.

I think you have the wrong attitude. For a lot of people, when they see a picture of their friend on IG standing on top of Yosemite's Half Dome, they're thinking, "wow, how jelly, you got to the top of Half Dome!". And for the person taking the photo, it's, "I made it to the top of Half Dome!" Sharing your happiness is not purely narcissistic. There's no unique picture of Half Dome that can be taken without people. Every angle, every time of day, every time of year has been taken of that location. It's us that makes it unique.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I think you have the wrong attitude. For a lot of people, when they see a picture of their friend on IG standing on top of Yosemite's Half Dome, they're thinking, "wow, how jelly, you got to the top of Half Dome!". And for the person taking the photo, it's, "I made it to the top of Half Dome!" Sharing your happiness is not purely narcissistic. There's no unique picture of Half Dome that can be taken without people. Every angle, every time of day, every time of year has been taken of that location. It's us that makes it unique.
It wasn't about one selfie on the Half Dome.
It was about every single picture showing a huge wellknown face and a tiny fraction of the scenery. Nothing against proudly showing "I made it to the top", of course. This is absolutely fine. I'm no exception here!
My post was also about people ceaselessly staring at their phone, risking to fall off the Half Dome (c.f. tourist falling off a cliff, not too long ago).
Objection: it's the Half Dome which makes itself unique, it definitely doesn't need us to be spectacular!

Upvote 0
It wasn't about one selfie on the Half Dome.
It was about every single picture showing a huge wellknown face and a tiny fraction of the scenery. Nothing against proudly showing "I made it to the top", of course. This is absolutely fine. I'm no exception here!
My post was also about people ceaselessly staring at their phone, risking to fall off the Half Dome (c.f. tourist falling off a cliff, not too long ago).
Objection: it's the Half Dome which makes itself unique, it definitely doesn't need us to be spectacular!
then just download the pic of half dome. no reason to actually go there. no reason to bring a camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0