Canon officially announces the PowerShot V10 and launch of the PowerShot V camera series

Please Canon, make a G5xiii, G7x4 or g9x3 with a prime 35mm lens, 1 inch or APS-C sensor, good controls and a fixed, lovely-to-use EVF.

I wish literally any camera company would make a small rangefinder camera with a 35mm lens and FF sensor. It's incredible that nobody has managed to do this yet.

The only options are film cameras. Hard to believe.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
this camera was a hard no when I first heard about it... but then I watch Lok's video and Gordon's video and now I'm actually excited about it. especially because they picked the perfect focal length. even Sony messed up the new camera with a lens that's not wide enough. as for why not use the phone, well, it drains down the battery fast when you're on a trip. the other thing is the good cameras on a phone are on the back side so you can't see yourself or framing of the background when you're filming. filming on the front camera sucks. and admittedly, i do like the idea of a skin filter for those quick grab and post videos.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I wish literally any camera company would make a small rangefinder camera with a 35mm lens and FF sensor. It's incredible that nobody has managed to do this yet.

When you can optimize focus with the sensor, a rangefinder is a decidedly crude alternatve. The cost of a rangefinder mechanism that would compete with the accuracy of on-sensor focus would likely be prohibitively high and limited to a single lens. No matter how much you might like the idea, the market is likely very small for such a camera. You can buy a digital rangefinder from Leica and with due respect to Leica, it has all the "features" described above. It is very expensive and focus accuracy is not that great. Read the review. https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-m11-initial-review#HC .

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Fujifilm cameras are not $450 either. Not even close. There are not very many cameras at this price point. My smartphone which I elect to often leave in my Hotel room because of its $1300 price tag. This is just the entry level of course.
Why would you leave a cell phone behind?
Just throw it in your pocket...that means it's stealth 99% of the time.

And for $1300? I know that's a bit, but not a ton of money...and everyone has cell phones these days, and with iPhones...stolen ones aren't that easy to use these days due to new protections on them, so there's that.

I can sympathize with those a bit wary in parts of some towns sporting a $8K Leica with a honking big red dot on it....

But even with that, for the most part, why buy something and be afraid to take it out and enjoy it...?

Just go buy a flip phone if that makes you more at ease....at least you'd take it with you and use and enjoy it.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

If you stick with full manual focusing...it would be easy to keep that small size....
Hell, I love playing vintage lenses, manual focus and I have HORRIBLE eyesight....a bit of focusing aid and there you go.
And with old film cameras, even my eyes can do pretty good with a visible rangefinder patch and manual lens.

Seems it would be a smart thing to put out for cheap for some company...?

Upvote 0
If this was at least f1.8 I would have considered it. But at the current aperture it's not going to beat most phones in low light.
Lowlight video on smartphones is mush anyway on pretty much all phones from iPhones to Pixels. I'd rather have a camera that posts a darkish video that's not mush versus an artificially brightened video that is mush. All of the magical dark to light are photos where you have AI combining multiple exposures into a beautiful pic.

Upvote 0
Why would you leave a cell phone behind?
Just throw it in your pocket...that means it's stealth 99% of the time.

And for $1300? I know that's a bit, but not a ton of money...and everyone has cell phones these days, and with iPhones...stolen ones aren't that easy to use these days due to new protections on them, so there's that.

I can sympathize with those a bit wary in parts of some towns sporting a $8K Leica with a honking big red dot on it....

But even with that, for the most part, why buy something and be afraid to take it out and enjoy it...?

Just go buy a flip phone if that makes you more at ease....at least you'd take it with you and use and enjoy it.
Have insurance for piece of mind. Cost me about 4% of overall total value for annual insurance which is acceptable for me. Last claim I made was a decade ago so I must be careful with gear and places I go.
My biggest concern is theft/damage when traveling and you are stuck without any gear somewhere where you can't buy replacement stuff.
One reason why I don't use a strap with CANON R5 on it.

It is strange to me the cost of mobile phones can be high and we are happy to spend it (especially on a monthly basis)... much more than entry level ILCs have been and yet the camera is one of the biggest differentiators between models/upgrades. Getting cheaper phones and paying for a separate and better camera doesn't seem to be as popular.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
So many photos of videos are spoiled by the photographer blocking the view. Do people really think a photo of the Eiffel Tower is improved by their face?
If they are photos of their trips to France the people like photos of themselves with France in the background.
There are plenty of other photos of the Eiffel Tower without their faces.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If they are photos of their trips to France the people like photos of themselves with France in the background.
There are plenty of other photos of the Eiffel Tower without their faces.
I'm ancient, but I do find it exceedingly strange that so many (mostly) young people these days are so obsessively narcissistic that they take so many photos of *themselves*.

Can't they find something that's actually *interesting* to photograph?

Cameras should have special AI software that wipes selfie subjects and just leaves the background ;)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The Canon sensors that I am aware of either use PDAF or hybrid AF which is why I am assuming it is a Sony.
It is suspiciously similar to the ZV-1F.
I don't really care who makes the sensor.
I really only care about the autofocus.
there are a lot of canon cameras that use contrast AF like the M50 in 4k mode.

Upvote 0
That's the point of travel for some people. Not being there, being seen being there.
yeah because what is the point of taking a photo of a place without you or your family/friends in it. you might as well download a pic off the internet and say you took it. don't get me wrong. I love taking gorgeous pics of places I've been with my R5. but for my family/friends, it's all about the selfie.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
there are a lot of canon cameras that use contrast AF like the M50 in 4k mode.
But that is not because the sensor doesn't have DPAF. It is because the processor is not fast enought process 4k and manage DPAF at the same time. All the Canon cameras that have CDAF are powershots and they all use Sony sensors. The powershot exception is the the G1X III and it does have DPAF.

Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
I'm ancient, but I do find it exceedingly strange that so many (mostly) young people these days are so obsessively narcissistic that they take so many photos of *themselves*.

Can't they find something that's actually *interesting* to photograph?

It's a good question, "what to take photos of".

Some categories:
(a) Me
(b) My friends and family
(c) Stuff outside me, like things, events, or people I don't know

As a nerd, I'm sympathetic to (c).
But a lot of people are into (a) and (b).

Sure, some people are really into themselves (narcissists).
But other people take photos so their friends can see what they're doing.
It can certainly be a combination of both...

Upvote 0