Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

This is a public forum, not a private discussion. If you don't want to hear / see a particular other poster, block them. But you ain't going to change the reality of a public forum. If you really want to close off this 'discussion', why keep postng increasingly pathetic responses?
I honestly can not believe how many people decided to educate me on what internet is all about. Also to impress on me what a pathetic response is (mostly by giving me direct example). I would love that i have singular opinion that no on else have and then see what would happen, but mine is actually quite common ... but for the life of me dont get what part of i dont want to argue people here dont get? Is it that they think they know better? That they are smarter and have the need to impress that as well? Let it go ...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It seems to me that you dont understand when someone dont want to fight you but you keep on pushing like a drunk on friday night who is just too unaware when he is about to enter situation he is not equiped to handle.
Well trolled, Sir.

I find it like its a chum to a shark when someone dont want to argue. In other words ... people can have opinions, express them and then choose not to argue with other people. Its how world works too, not just forums.
Some people can. Not you, apparently.

Oh and its called being functioning adult.
Something to which you can aspire. Your progress to date has not been encouraging, but there is always hope.

Do You know what a devils advocate is? Its a person who argues for other people, while not being asked to or invited into said conversation. This is actual definition of such person. "A person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate or test the strength of the opposing arguments". Me ... i find you boring.
I wonder…are you supposed to be the devil’s advocate in this scenario? Coming uninvited to a thread about new Canon product launches to express your dissatisfaction with Canon and ‘provoke debate’. If so, why did you then tell others not to respond? So…fail.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Posting on a forum opens your opinion to criticism, if you did not want to have your opinion questioned why bother posting it. The simply matter is Canon does not appear to be open to sharing profits in a contracting market with anyone so they are offering customers all the choice they need.

Choices:
  1. Pay less for 100% compatible RF STM glass
  2. Pay More for 100% compatible RF L glass (which is mostly the same USD price as other 1st party glass)
  3. Pay even less for Adapted EF glass either from Canon (with known compatibility) or from 3rd party's
That is a lot of choice.

Oh and I think you also spoke of the echo chamber of people saying "adapted glass" and you are tired of it.

Well, I know I am tired of the BS about Canon blocking All 3rd party AF glass being repeated over and over. Unless I missed it there has been 1... yep just 1 documented case of Canon telling a manufacture to stop and that is verifiable Viltrox. It has also been reported that the Viltrox RF 85mm was showing up as an EF 85mm in the Canon R bodies so it appears there was some funny business going on Viltrox's part.
In the Viltrox case they said in that message to the customer that they weren’t the only company to have been stopped from making RF glass.
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - The person that said that is a clown so I am not going to give him credit but sadly the echo chamber of the inter proves it out all the time.

I get it you read on the internet that Canon was blocking all 3rd party AF glass but the there is simply nothing to back that up and the absent of proof is proof of nothing.

If Sigma can find a way to reverse engineer the RF protocols that does not violate Canon's patents Canon has no choice but to let them play ball. That is up to Sigma and the rest of the reputable 3rd party glass makers to sort out.

I am really really sick of having to point this out in thread after thread only for it to fall on deaf ears.

Jonathan

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
In the Viltrox case they said in that message to the customer that they weren’t the only company to have been stopped from making RF glass.
Not that I can find, the only verified information is from Canon Germany about Viltrox.

There was also a chat exchange with someone from Samyang but that should hardly be considered a source of truth. It is true that Samyang stopped making AF RF glass but I have found no evidence that Canon told them to stop.

I do think it likely Samyang was privately told to stop but that is nothing more than speculation on my part.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not that I can find, the only verified information is from Canon Germany about Viltrox.

There was also a chat exchange with someone from Samyang but that should hardly be considered a source of truth. It is true that Samyang stopped making AF RF glass but I have found no evidence that Canon told them to stop.

I do think it likely Samyang was privately told to stop but that is nothing more than speculation on my part.
This is the source of the information: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66429558

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The power switch is on the right hand side on many Canon cameras already. And anyway it takes like 20 seconds to remember where the switch is and then it's a non-issue.
20 seconds (more like 5 actually) is a long time if you raise the camera for a snatch shot and find that it's turned off. I've got used to having the power switch on the left on most of my Canon cameras, but I do think it is better to place it around the shutter button (Nikon-style). It's just a more logical position and enables one-handed control when supporting a heavy lens with the left hand. But that would interfere with the existing position of the front dial, so for me the newly positioned power switch on the R6ii is a welcome improvement.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021

I’ve attached the chat exchange that Viltrox had with a customer, this is the actual situation that Canon Germany responded to.

Attachments

• 77F5EA3A-DD62-4F7C-AA35-DC06B2D39D83.jpeg
    77F5EA3A-DD62-4F7C-AA35-DC06B2D39D83.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
20 seconds (more like 5 actually) is a long time if you raise the camera for a snatch shot and find that it's turned off. I've got used to having the power switch on the left on most of my Canon cameras, but I do think it is better to place it around the shutter button (Nikon-style). It's just a more logical position and enables one-handed control when supporting a heavy lens with the left hand. But that would interfere with the existing position of the front dial, so for me the newly positioned power switch on the R6ii is a welcome improvement.
You are used to the power switch on the left. I am used to mine left on.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
20 seconds (more like 5 actually) is a long time if you raise the camera for a snatch shot and find that it's turned off.
I think the point was 20 seconds to learn the new position of the power switch. Not 20 (or 5) seconds each and every time you pick up the new camera (which won’t remain ‘new’ for long).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I’ve attached the chat exchange that Viltrox had with a customer, this is the actual situation that Canon Germany responded to.
The point is that screenshots of something posted by a customer service rep aren’t exactly definitive evidence. The published statement mane by Canon Germany is actual evidence, and mentions only Viltrox.

People can read what they want into it, but anything other than likely infringement by Viltrox is just speculation.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0