Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I think the point was 20 seconds to learn the new position of the power switch. Not 20 (or 5) seconds each and every time you pick up the new camera (which won’t remain ‘new’ for long).
Maybe. I'm pretty sure I could learn the new position in 5 seconds, despite not being particularly good at adapting to new layouts. The only problems that would arise would be if I switched back and forth between my R5 and a R6ii, never being quite sure which camera I was using at the time! When the "R5ii" and/or "R5s" are launched, the power switch will probably be revised again!

Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
In the Viltrox case they said in that message to the customer that they weren’t the only company to have been stopped from making RF glass.

It’s also a reasonable inference given that it is also fact that Samyang ceased production around the same time.

As has been said before it was 11 years before Sigma released the first EF lens, we are only 4 years into the RF system and anyone who was aware of Canon’s past history should not be surprised at all by this decision of
theirs to retain a few more years of exclusivity for RF.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
The point is that screenshots of something posted by a customer service rep aren’t exactly definitive evidence. The published statement mane by Canon Germany is actual evidence, and mentions only Viltrox.

People can read what they want into it, but anything other than likely infringement by Viltrox is just speculation.
100% - Knowing what I know about patent law and how vigorous Canon is about protecting their patents the speculation is not a major leap. What I have taken exception with is statements like "Canon is blocking all 3rd party on the RF mount" when there is simply no proof this is true.

As I have said before on this topic we really do not know if any of the 3rd party players are working on reverse engineering the RF mount protocols to allow for their lenses to play nice on an RF camera without infringement on Canon's IP. :unsure:

Canon has clearly not taken any action on the RF mount itself as there are over 70 RF manual focus lenses in the Cinema space and some from some big players in Cinema glass like Fujinon that would not risk a battle with Canon.

I really do not know if all hope is lost for 3rd party RF autofocus lenses but my technical speculation "gut feel" worries that for those that want 3rd party glass Canon may have added the additional pins to the RF mount to prevent reverse engineering. Time will tell.

For me I am happy as I can be with my RF system and truly want for nothing. (Ok an RF 11-15\24 F4 would be welcome);)

Cheers

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Canon has clearly not taken any action on the RF mount itself as there are over 70 RF manual focus lenses in the Cinema space and some from some big players in Cinema glass like Fujinon that would not risk a battle with Canon.
Is the Cinema RF mount glass from Fujinon autofocus or purely manual?

I really do not know if all hope is lost for 3rd party RF autofocus lenses but my technical speculation "gut feel" worries that for those that want 3rd party glass Canon may have added the additional pins to the RF mount to prevent reverse engineering. Time will tell.

For me I am happy as I can be with my RF system and truly want for nothing. (Ok an RF 11-15\24 F4 would be welcome);)
How would adding the extra pins to the RF mount "prevent" reverse engineering? It would make it more difficult, but if Sigma/Tamron could figure out what Canon is using them for (and how), they would be able to add extra pins to their own potential RF lenses, and get full functionality, wouldn't they?

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
My R7 switch is on the right and my R5 on the left so I have to be mentally ambidextrous.

R6 on the left , R7 on the right, M5 on the left, M6II on the right, 6D on the left , 550d on the right, 1DXII on the back, and A1 on the right. At any point in time I was likely using 2-3 different bodies. I don't think I ever really thought twice about it. After I do it a couple of times, it becomes muscle memory. I never felt like I missed a shot because of the on/off switch. If it wasn't already on, I really wasn't ready to shoot.

Back in the film days with the A1, it was far more frustrating to find I had not advanced the film to reset the shutter, diaphragm, and mirror for the next exposure. Even back then, the A1 on/off (A/L) switch was never really an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
R6 on the left , R7 on the right, M5 on the left, M6II on the right, 6D on the left , 550d on the right, 1DXII on the back, and A1 on the right. At any point in time I was likely using 2-3 different bodies. I don't think I ever really thought twice about it. After I do it a couple of times, it becomes muscle memory. I never felt like I missed a shot because of the on/off switch. If it wasn't already on, I really wasn't ready to shoot.

Back in the film days with the A1, it was far more frustrating to find I had not advanced the film to reset the shutter, diaphragm, and mirror for the next exposure. Even back then, the A1 on/off (A/L) switch was never really an issue.
To be honest, before this was being discussed here, I hadn't spent a single thought on the placement of the switch.
My EOS R and 5 D IV have it on the left, my M 240 has it on the right, I haden't even thought it could be an issue. What I dislike is the mode button, which the R 6 doesn't have.
The difference in focusing direction between Leica R - M and Nikon was utterly irritating for a long long time. I missed many shots.
Fortunately Canon's lenses have it "right" (for me).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

Some folk, like yourself, have the ability to switch back and forth between cameras without encountering muscle-memory problems, others (possibly less mentally agile) sometimes curse the way controls are moved from place to place on successive models. I and others have admittedly been exaggerating the "problem", but it really would be so very nice if Canon standardised more on the controls of cameras within their range.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
To be honest, before this was being discussed here, I hadn't spent a single thought on the placement of the switch.
My EOS R and 5 D IV have it on the left, my M 240 has it on the right, I haden't even thought it could be an issue. What I dislike is the mode button, which the R 6 doesn't have.
The difference in focusing direction between Leica R - M and Nikon was utterly irritating for a long long time. I missed many shots.
Fortunately Canon's lenses have it "right" (for me).
All the normal mechanical actions using turning employ a right hand clockwise action for turning things on, screwing screws in, tightening nuts, putting on bottle caps etc. Even cranking a car on the old days was clockwise. And our DNA has a right hand twist. So Nikon does the opposite for its lens mounting.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
All the normal mechanical actions using turning employ a right hand clockwise action for turning things on, screwing screws in, tightening nuts, putting on bottle caps etc. Even cranking a car on the old days was clockwise. And our DNA has a right hand twist. So Nikon does the opposite for its lens mounting.
Has Nikon ever explained why they chose the "wrong" way ?
It can be a logical choice on some car screws and bolts for safety reasons (king pin), but on lenses? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Has Nikon ever explained why they chose the "wrong" way ?
It can be a logical choice on some car screws and bolts for safety reasons (king pin), but on lenses? :rolleyes:
Part of Nikon's plan to drive themselves out of the market. They really do make superb cameras and lenses and then implement stupid things to detract. The D850 is simply the best DSLR for AF and IQ, but it's difficult to use some of the buttons, it doesn't have a mode dial with C1-C3 settings like Canon for quick switching between saved settings, and saved settings are not "sticky" and do not revert when you alter them for a single shot.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Part of Nikon's plan to drive themselves out of the market. They really do make superb cameras and lenses and then implement stupid things to detract. The D850 is simply the best DSLR for AF and IQ, but it's difficult to use some of the buttons, it doesn't have a mode dial with C1-C3 settings like Canon for quick switching between saved settings, and saved settings are not "sticky" and do not revert when you alter them for a single shot.
I agree. The D 850 was may favourite, but, as you just wrote, some "details" were irritating, Plus the absence of a 100-400 and TS 24mm as good as the Canons. So, after some happy years with an F2, I jumped ship !!! and bought an EOS D III. The easier adaptability of Leica R lenses also spoke for Canon. Yet, I still hope Nikon will become a real competitor again.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The "moving subject HDR" with in-camera merging sounds promising, and shots I've seen in reviews show that it works extremely well. Does anyone know whether this setting can be saved as a custom mode so it can be used for every shot in a session? Or does it have to be selected from the menu for each individual shot? (as happens e.g. with focus bracketing on the R5).

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Last edited:
Upvote 0