Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

Again, in Australia you are at the mercy of the increased cost of Canon glass and bodies because they only offer 5 year warranties. Sony offers a 2 years warranty.
I think that we have seen price gouging in other countries even taking into account the differences in taxation.

If you were to buy the RF 135 from the US with Australian dollars it would cost you $3303.95 at the current exchange rate and would have no Australian warranty. Yes $665 is a lot to pay for an extra 3 years of warranty but still comparing US pricing to Australian is not really apples to apples because of the extra warranty.
My earlier post showed that the local price differential between the R6ii and the current R5 pricing is only 20% at the moment - at least from one reseller.
Would the R5's features be worth 20%? The difference in the US (ex tax) is 50% for market segmentation.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
BSI by moving most of wiring behind does allow for better light collection - so "Better low Light" is true...
Technically true, but that doesn’t necessarily mean practically relevant. If the R6II’s price in the US was $2489 instead of $2499, it would be cheaper…technically. Meaningfully cheaper? No.

With the smallest pixel pitch of current FF (>3.75 µm) and APS-C sensors (>3.2 µm), the gapless microlenses and on-die light guides used in FSI sensors mean the benefits of BSI are minimal at best…on the order of a 1/4-stop increased sensitivity.

When the pixel pitch gets into the 1-2 µm range, the benefit of BSI becomes meaningful. That means basically with sensors larger than 1”, BSI is really a marketing tactic, not an imaging benefit.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
the question was "This is a genuine question: how would a BSI stacked sensor help with wedding photography, specifically?"
And I provided the answer, better low light and faster read out speed...
Sorry, I thought you were confusing BSI with stacked, something that has happened often in the recent discussions about the R6 II. From what I have learned from various sources, the low light advantages of BSI sensors is very minimal with FF sensors and even APS-C sensors. Nor have I seen any info that backs the faster read out claims, so not sure if that is real or has just been marketing hype. Since the purpose of BSi (compared to FSI) is to eliminate the small percentage of light that reflects off the circuitry, I guess i don't see how that improves read out speed. You may be correct, of course, but the large gains in readout speed appear to be because of stacking the sensor, rather than the BSI nature of the sensor. Always grateful if anyone has any accurate info on the subject.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

notalchymy

Canon R6 & R6 Mkii
Jul 27, 2022
Good luck with the inferior color science, crappy ergonomics and dust on sensor issues! :)
This is true, although I like the dynamic range and codec options of Sony, I cannot get over the ergonomics for me.

Anyone who shoots for extended periods of time will understand my pain, litterally, in my hand.

To each their own, and remember they are just companies

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Technically true, but that doesn’t necessarily mean practically relevant. If the R6II’s price in the US was $2489 instead of $2499, it would be cheaper…technically. Meaningfully cheaper? No.

With the smallest pixel pitch of current FF (>3.75 µm) and APS-C sensors (>3.2 µm), the gapless microlenses and on-die light guides used in FSI sensors mean the benefits of BSI are minimal at best…on the order of a 1/4-stop increased sensitivity.

When the pixel pitch gets into the 1-2 µm range, the benefit of BSI becomes meaningful. That means basically with sensors larger than 1”, BSI is really a marketing tactic, not an imaging benefit.
So much BS. Almost comical

Upvote 0
So much BS. Almost comical
Jam05...my friend...You're totally entitled to your opinion. Heaven knows opinions on this forum are all over them map. The only rub is when negative opinions get repeated ad nauseum -- particularly in mocking or belittling tone. That's when it turns spirited-but-friendly debate into childish squabble. There really shouldn't be any place for that here.

If you feel like Canon totally missed the mark using a front side illuminated sensor (albeit newly developed and never-before-used), that's totally fine. Voice it respectfully, and move on (or articulate your point of view with supporting info).

You might also consider waiting to see how the new sensor actually performs. No need for a pissing match about sensor architecture. Just let the performance speak for itself.

I've been around long enough to see this play out many times: Initial howling, complaining, and gnashing of teeth...then people actually use it and are pleasantly surprised with the overall package...then it becomes a best-seller.

It mighty be a good idea to at least wait to see real-world sensor performance before jumping in with the teeth gnashers. Maybe even borrow or rent an R6II and see what you think.

You might be pleasantly surprised, too.

Anyway, seems that you kinda got started on the wrong foot. I believe in second chances.

Mulligan?

PS: I just looked up what kind of sensor architecture my R5 has. Turns out it's front side illuminated. I'm loving the results -- especially in low light -- despite that heretofore unknown (to me) fact.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

EOS

EOS
Apr 29, 2022
Ironic.:unsure: I strongly prefer the integrated grip (I put accessory grips on my T1i/500D, 7D and 5DII before getting the 1D X), and I have no real use for built-in GPS.
I much prefer removable battery grips over the big 1D-style camera bodies for the odd times they are useful as I’m not shooting sports or, God forbid, weddings anymore. When schlepping gear into the mountains or backwoods, I’m far more concerned with weight and bulk. As always, YMMV.

Upvote 0
PS: I just looked up what kind of sensor architecture my R5 has. Turns out it's front side illuminated. I'm loving the results -- especially in low light -- despite that heretofore unknown (to me) fact.
Indeed, BSI/stacked is pretty new and Canon has certainly improved their FSI sensors over time. Demanding that all new sensors should be BSI/stacked is missing the point of results vs technology - especially when it comes to pricing (and margin) competitiveness.

When the R5 came out... DXO (love or loath it) had this to say:

"As for sensor performance, the EOS R5 sensor represents a high water mark for Canon. Maximum dynamic range is competitive with the best in class, and the R5 sensor offers a useful advantage at some crucial ISO settings over its rivals. It also has excellent color and low noise at high ISOs, which all go toward making the Canon EOS R5 one of the most well-rounded performers in this important category. It may have taken a while to get here, but the Canon EOS R5 looks set to be the one to beat."

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

EOS

EOS
Apr 29, 2022
Good luck with the inferior color science, crappy ergonomics and dust on sensor issues! :)
I do prefer Canon's skintones, but my R7 IV has been fantastic for landscapes combined with Sony’s mirrorless fast wide primes. I have the 24mm f/1.4 GM and 20mm f/1.8 G along with the 35mm f/1.4 GM and 14mm f/1.8 GM on loan, and they have all been amazing.

I keep waiting for the RF fast wide L primes, but I’m not holding my breath.

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I much prefer removable battery grips over the big 1D-style camera bodies for the odd times they are useful as I’m not shooting sports or, God forbid, weddings anymore. When schlepping gear into the mountains or backwoods, I’m far more concerned with weight and bulk. As always, YMMV.
I hate that the feel of the removable grip is different than the main grip. It's larger, the button placements are all different, and the biggest thing is that the joystick is in a completely different and awkward position. I've never held a camera with an integrated grip, but looking at the images of the R3 it looks like closer in size to the main grip. The buttons and dial are more closely matched, and the joystick for sure is in a better position on the R3.

I would love to have one regular R5 (But with a grip extension like they made for the RP), and one R5 with an integrated grip as my two bodies.

As it is though, I'm very appreciative that Canon designed one grip that can be swapped between the R5 and R6, and that they didn't required a separate grip for each.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0