Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

Finally! A Eos R6 that matches the resolution of the Eos 6Dii. Even the old Eos RP had more res than the R6 mk1!
I wonder if the R6ii is intended as an upgrade path to the RP?
I can easily see the R6ii being very popular with wedding photographers and photojournalists, possibly taking over the mantle from the 5D3/4. It has a perfect £/features ratio. I suspect this could be a massive seller for Canon.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I wonder if the shutter still has the same quality as a few years ago, as more and more people use an electronic shutter most of the time. So Canon might not want to spend resources for making the shutter more durable.

I think I would use the mechanical shutter most of the time, as no rolling shutter is still better than a small rolling shutter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Finally! A Eos R6 that matches the resolution of the Eos 6Dii. Even the old Eos RP had more res than the R6 mk1!
I wonder if the R6ii is intended as an upgrade path to the RP?
I can easily see the R6ii being very popular with wedding photographers and photojournalists, possibly taking over the mantle from the 5D3/4. It has a perfect £/features ratio. I suspect this could be a massive seller for Canon.
To be pedantic, the 6Dii has 26MP, so still 2MP more than the R6ii :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Battery life/CIPA has improved >10% which is a good sign and matches A7iv.
Pre-buffer finally makes it on a Canon body!
flash sync @1/200s mechanical, 1/250s EFCS.
Mostly a video update and virtually no thermal limits or 30 minute clip length
And it has a Rate button :cool:
I'm thinking that it is like the 5Diii to 5Div.. nothing that jumps out of the spec sheet but improvements all round that would be appreciated.
Funnily enough, I’m still using a pair of 5D3’s. The Eos R was too immature as a product for me and the R5 is just way too expensive for me. I buy two bodies and a pair of R5 are just too expensive for me at the moment.
The R6 seemed like a downgrade compared to a 5D4 option for a similar price bracket. But the 6Dii looks like a far better proposition. It might be my gateway into the RF world.
I’m not so fussed about the RF lenses, I already have a complete collection of EF glass. From f2.8 zooms through to super bright primes. I’ve been rocking a 135L for years and see little incentive to side-grade to the new RF 135lis. Sure it’s a tad brighter and has an IS unit. But £2K is a lot of money for a few new features.
However, the closer MFD & max reproduction ratio is quite a big feature / attraction. I can see it being very popular with wedding photographers. Choosing the 135 over the 100 macro. In fact the 135l could easily replace the duties of a 70-200 f2.8 at a wedding, consolidating one lens for several. It’s just a pity it’s a lot bigger and heavier than the current Ef 135L. One of the joys of the ef 135L is it’s size and lightness as well as it’s unobtrusiveness.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US

The MTF Chart on the new Canon RF 135 mm f1.8 lens from Canon Japan​

MTF characteristic chart​

mtf characteristic chart

mtf characteristic chart

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Frankly, that is very generous! Amazing that you can effectively try before you finally commit your money. Do people abuse the system eg I need a spare R5 body for a wedding just in case and then return it within the policy period?
Does the UK have a refurbished pricing scheme similar to the US based on - what I assume is - the arbitrary returns within that period?
I'm sure there must be people who buy a camera to try it out or take it on holiday for a couple of weeks, and then return it for a refund, although such abuse doesn't seem to be widespread.

I don't know what happens to cameras that are returned to retailers, I'd guess that some are used as demonstrators or sold as shop-soiled, or are disposed of on eBay as new "white box" items. Maybe they get returned to Canon by the more honest dealers, but AFAIK Canon don't sell refurbished gear to the public, so I don't know what the route is.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Yes, i did but i don't think Samyang is a cloner. They have quite original lens designs. Yongnuo was/is a cloner.
Samyang/Rokinon do not have the best reputation for quality here in Canada so I tend to be both dismissive and obviously ignorant (I did not know they were Korean built) of their offerings.

As a self confessed lens snob I will defer to those that have used and liked the results they get from these lenses.

Upvote 0
Samyang/Rokinon do not have the best reputation for quality here in Canada so I tend to be both dismissive and obviously ignorant (I did not know they were Korean built) of their offerings.

As a self confessed lens snob I will defer to those that have used and liked the results they get from these lenses.
I have a samyang/rokinon 14 f/2.8 and I'm pretty happy with what it puts out, especially at the price point. Also in Canada, and I seemed to get a good copy. I initially got it for night sky stuff, but I've found the quality sufficient to compete with my EF 16-35 f/4 during the day, especially if I want just a bit of extra breathing room for cropping. Actually, I took one of my favourite images lately (below) with my samyang/rokinon 14mm f/2.8, so I'd argue you can indeed get reasonably quality out of some of their lenses. Obviously it comes with sacrifices, but for like $299 US I'm not one to complain!

Chephren2.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Upvote 0
I have a samyang/rokinon 14 f/2.8 and I'm pretty happy with what it puts out, especially at the price point. Also in Canada, and I seemed to get a good copy. I initially got it for night sky stuff, but I've found the quality sufficient to compete with my EF 16-35 f/4 during the day, especially if I want just a bit of extra breathing room for cropping. Actually, I took one of my favourite images lately (below) with my samyang/rokinon 14mm f/2.8, so I'd argue you can indeed get reasonably quality out of some of their lenses. Obviously it comes with sacrifices, but for like $299 US I'm not one to complain!

View attachment 206147
Lovely shot

I had a Samyang 14mm f/2.8 a few years ago, it was very handy for the price. However now there's the RF 16mm, I couldn't recommend the Samyang, which is 1/4 cheaper in the UK and has AF (even for the loss of 2mm). If I still had the third party lens, I wouldn't have got the Canon one, however.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019

View attachment 206147
That is a really nice shot.

As a software and hardware developer I am a gear head and I love getting new toys but I think we can all agree our gear only plays a small role in getting great images. Being there so you can get "The shot" is for me what really matters most.

You were clearly their and you got "The Shot" - I love mountain glow in Banff and Jasper and seek it out at least once every year.

I like my RF glass because I trust it and I trust CPS Canada to always support me if I need it but clearly being their and having the eye\skill to get the shot is not limited to what gear you have. 100 years of amazing photos is all the proof we need for that.

Anyway, sorry for the side bar everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That's all it is. Complete firmware updates. An antique image sensor that is not even a BSI CMOS. A plain CMOS sensor. If you're impressed with firmware coding and 40fps electronic shutter only, waste your money. Any tech savy person knows the difference betweeen hardware and firmware. Heck Nikon did a recent firmware update to its Z9 and stated that its a entirely new camera.
This has to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen on a forum: First says the R6 II is only firmware updates, but admits the sensor is different. The sensor is the most important part of a camera, and it's changed (hardware) but this guy calls this "firmware". LOL What is he smoking?
BSI is more of a marketing term than anything. The Sony A7IV for example has a BSI sensor and yet it has more noise and slower readout (and more rolling shutter) than the R6 sensor that is not BSI. Go figure.
The R5 has waaaaaay better sensor readout speed, waaay less rolling shutter and lower noise than the Sony A7RIV. The CMOS R5 has 15 ms readout and the BSI A7RIV has a slothy 62.5 ms readout. The Canon is not a BSI sensor and the Sony is. Go figure once again.
The R6 II has no overheating, no crop 4K. The camera doesn't even get hot (the R6 did). This is not because of firmware. The body layout is different, and now you can switch quickly from video to photo mode with a BUTTON (hardware). You can even save custom functions for video and photo separately because of this new button. This is not firmware obviously. The new R6 II sensor apparently has slightly faster readout than the R6 (which is again waaaay faster than the BSI Sony A7IV sensor
And, the R6 II is cheaper than the R6 when released which is my fav part (R6 was $3499 and the R6 II is $3299 in Canada).
If you want to talk about "just firmware" you'd be talking about the Sony A7RV. It has the same sensor as the A7RIV. It's basically the same with new AF and a few new settings. Oh and a new LCD screen.
"Stacked" sensor or "Global" sensor is far more meaningful than "BSI". A sloppy BSI sensor (as seems to be the case with many Sony sensors) will underdeliver vs a well designed CMOS sensor (as in the R5/R6/R6 II vs the A7R/A7 lineup). Some people as this poster just eat up these marketing terms for breakfast! They love it more than real world results.

Upvote 0
Again, in Australia you are at the mercy of the increased cost of Canon glass and bodies because they only offer 5 year warranties. Sony offers a 2 years warranty.

If you were to buy the RF 135 from the US with Australian dollars it would cost you $3303.95 at the current exchange rate and would have no Australian warranty. Yes $665 is a lot to pay for an extra 3 years of warranty but still comparing US pricing to Australian is not really apples to apples because of the extra warranty.

Here in Canada the Canon RF 135 in Canada costs $2849.99 CDN before taxes if I was to buy it from the US at the current exchange rate = $2099 USD to CDN = $2877.21 so we are saving a little in Canada over buying in the US. Also many of the US retailers are no longer shipping some items to Canada addresses.

Still just a 1 year warranty in Canada and here in BC you can add 12% to the $2849.99 =

$3191.98 out the door.
I'd rather get the Sigma 135 1.8 for $1500 cdn with a 7 year warranty vs the Canon for over twice the price with a 1 year warranty for sure.

Upvote 0