Canon officially announces the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and PowerShot G7 X Mark III

I'm not terribly interested in a compact, but I like what this sensor tech means moving forward on the last couple of DSLRs and new RF bodies. Better late than never.

What? This is Sony sensor and hence imo no chance to appear in Canon's DSLR or MILC bodies? Well, otoh one never knows, maybe Canon will give up and switch to Sony sensors on all fronts ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think it is clear that the G7X III is marketed for vloggers. However, if the intention is that the G5 is for people who just want to take pictures, I don't think the details released provide a clear differentiation on the "pictures" front.

Major differences between the G5 and G7 are $150, lack of mic port on G5, and lack of EVF on G7.

I'm not a vlogger, and I'm solely interested in picture image quality. Does any one have any idea if both models will produce pictures with the same, or very very similar image quality?

At the end, this will drive my purchase decision. If the pictures on the G5 will not be significantly better than on the G7, then I might as well buy the G7 and save $150. I don't think I will ever need the EVF, as I have been using a smartphone to take pictures exclusively for over 7 years and never once have I thought "gee, I could use an EVF".

Upvote 0
but nikon seemed to get good sensors from them for the full frame. and the medium format sensors seem nice too.
That was in the past. There was some content on the Sonyalpharumors page that Sony likes the idea of keeping certain high quality stuff like sensors for themselves and give it only after a certain period of time to other companies aka the competition.

Upvote 0
but nikon seemed to get good sensors from them for the full frame. and the medium format sensors seem nice too.

The Sony A9 came out over 2 years ago with a Stacked CMOS sensor. We have not seen any other FF camera with a Stacked sensor since then, so Sony is definitely holding back on new sensor tech. The Stacked sensor allows for faster sensor readout like we are seeing now with the new Canon G5/7X.

You will very soon see stacked FF sensor for Nikon but Sony will also release their new GS (Global Shutter) sensor in the A9ii at the same time. The same GS sensor will show up in the new RX camera coming next week. So Sony will always have a 1 gen sensor advantage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it is clear that the G7X III is marketed for vloggers. However, if the intention is that the G5 is for people who just want to take pictures, I don't think the details released provide a clear differentiation on the "pictures" front.

Major differences between the G5 and G7 are $150, lack of mic port on G5, and lack of EVF on G7.

I'm not a vlogger, and I'm solely interested in picture image quality. Does any one have any idea if both models will produce pictures with the same, or very very similar image quality?

At the end, this will drive my purchase decision. If the pictures on the G5 will not be significantly better than on the G7, then I might as well buy the G7 and save $150. I don't think I will ever need the EVF, as I have been using a smartphone to take pictures exclusively for over 7 years and never once have I thought "gee, I could use an EVF".
same sensor, same processor........

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The G5 has touch and drag AF, which if as good as or better than the M5 will be why it''s a notch above the G7 and I would take a guess that the lens will be of a higher level, perhaps in regards to corner sharpness, distortion across the focal lengths and vignetting.Of course that's just being hopeful. However, a camera is much more than it's sensor and that seems to be all anyone is yammering about. Sounds like spec sheet warriors and not photographers. Is it that video folks are far more wrapped up in certain details than stills shooters and therefore are usually chiming in with Canon complaints? I'd hate to be in that camp.

Upvote 0
Are there examples already?
Yes, Canon Japan released some footage and several people/sites/stores who got pre-pro models posted footage from it also. I was really geeked about the G7X Mk III as an upgrade to my RX100 Mk II. Primarily for stills, but hoping to shoot a little video with it also. After seeing the video footage from the camera I just can't see giving any consideration to it as a usable video camera. I've seen sharper & better looking 720p footage.

From another thread:

Upvote 0