Canon officially announces the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and PowerShot G7 X Mark III

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm so glad I don't do video, I cannot imagine looking at footage and making statements about resolution numbers like that. No thanks. There can be amazing art in stills no matter DR, sharpness or peripheral illumination (that's vignetting, kids) The photographer is the artist regardless of the camera model... in video it's more of a marriage of fine gear, editing and talent. Although I must say, getting it right in camera is becoming a lost art as well and so many articles are written these days as to how even trying is snobbery. Yes, Light Stalking, I'm talking about you.

Upvote 0
What's the point of having a pocketable camera if you're just going to stick a huge boom mic on top? Plus it would block the selfie screen for vlogging use.

There are still good uses for having a mic jack. A cage fixes the problem when you don't need the pocketability. Alternatively, you could handhold a small microphone (for non-vlogging use), use a lavalier mic, or mount the mic on a separate stand in the studio.

The old G5X formfactor would have supported that with hotshoe and flip out screen. Two steps forward, one and a half steps back. Seems to be the Canon strategy for the camera department.

Upvote 0
Sharpening by default is not strong enough to your taste?
Your comment seems rather strange to me. You think the footage is sharp and that my criticisms are a matter of taste? I can't see it being sharp enough for anyone's taste in their target market. Good 720p footage scaled to UHD is sharper than the "4k" footage from the new Canons. The "4k" timelapse is passable (still not where it should be though), the other clips are not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Your comment seems rather strange to me. You think the footage is sharp and that my criticisms are a matter of taste? It can't see it being sharp enough for anyone's taste in their target market. Good 720p footage scaled to UHD is sharper than the "4k" footage from the new Canons. The "4k" timelapse is passable (still not where it should be though), the other clips are not.
Well, if you don't like the default sharpness setting, you might try adjusting the sharpness setting before you start trashing the camera on the internet.

Upvote 0
Well, if you don't like the default sharpness setting, you might try adjusting the sharpness setting before you start trashing the camera on the internet.
Well, I don't have the camera. I can only look at the footage Canon and the people Canon have chosen to give the pre-production cameras to have posted. If Canon isn't smart enough to put their best foot forward that's on them.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Well, I don't have the camera. I can only look at the footage Canon and the people Canon have chosen to give the pre-production cameras to have posted. If Canon isn't smart enough to put their best foot forward that's on them.
Be that as it may, you still don't know anything about whether adjusting the sharpness will improve the image to acceptable standards, your standards or anybody else's.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Be that as it may, you still don't know anything about whether adjusting the sharpness will improve the image to acceptable standards, your standards or anybody else's.
This forum would be a ghost town if people only posted facts. CanonRUMORS! Commenting on what is essentially promo footage is fair enough.

Most customers no longer have the option to go into a shop and try camera gear. Those days are long gone.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Yes, because YouTube only blurs up Canon footage because Sony is paying them to. Comparing it to Sony RX100 Mk VA & VI footage that's also on YouTube is not a level playing field.
I've never sent any Sony footage to YouTube, so I can't compare. But I do know how my YouTube postings look compared to the video I sent them. YouTube is a very handy way to post video, and handy to recipients since they adjust the resolution choice to fit the transmission speed. But it is a terrible way to demonstrate video quality. 4K video even coming into my 300mbs internet feed is not anywhere near the quality of 720p video played directly on my computer.

I doubt there is a default YouTube setting of "let's crap this up because it was shot on a Canon."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0