Canon officially announces the RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS STM

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
nuh. Bryan (a wise man) at The Digital Picture will be up to speed pretty quickly. His reviews are very detailed and excellent from the practicality perspective.
I never offer an advice that I would never have taken myself.

On an unrelated note: I have a SONY product support story to share. Would anyone be interested to hear that? It is a .. saga.. ;)

I had to return a Sony Product a few months ago that failed. Took 3 months and countless phone calls. Hope the camera support is better.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
nuh. Bryan (a wise man) at The Digital Picture will be up to speed pretty quickly. His reviews are very detailed and excellent from the practicality perspective.
I never offer an advice that I would never have taken myself.

On an unrelated note: I have a SONY product support story to share. Would anyone be interested to hear that? It is a .. saga.. ;)
My advice to myself is never rely on just one review...

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
My advice to myself is never rely on just one review...

You are correct, Alan. however, TDP can be trusted. I recall that in your experience TDP was incorrect in their judgement more than once in the past.
I would suggest that TDP is mostly correct with some exceptions here and there. No one is perfect.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You are correct, Alan. however, TDP can be trusted. I recall that in your experience TDP was incorrect in their judgement more than once in the past.
I would suggest that TDP is mostly correct with some exceptions here and there. No one is perfect.
TDP does do on the whole excellent reviews and is a marvellous resource. But, for assessing IQ from lenses, he tends to look at just one copy of a lens with charts, and we all know about the importance of copy variation. I have found the relative performances of my lenses are different from his, and his can be different form lensrentals on multiple copies or say opticallimits on single copies. And, in his own comparison charts, there can be inconsistencies between relative results of lenses on different bodies. I am never ever going to buy a lens again based on a single review.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I agree with your assessment. But, adding:

It's kind of silly to talk about any EOS R lens and body as "entry level." The cost of entry into full frame mirrorless by Canon is $2,000 with this lens. This may be "entry level" for the 1%, but for most consumers "entry level" is much more likely to remain an "M" or Rebel DSLR.

I believe most people buying this lens are likely to know exactly what they are getting.
I don't know how many people will buy the RP + RF 24-240 kit as their first camera purchase. There will be some, but my guess there will be more for whom this kit will be the entry to FF, or for Canon DSLR owners, entry to FF mirrorless. This is a shrinking market, so there aren't many jackpots around.

Upvote 0
Go to Amazon.com right now and a sold-by-Amazon 6D and Tamron 28-300 together cost just under $1600, not $2200. That's the true level of full-frame entry-level superzoomage.

Or perhaps you want to splurge on a 6D II with the lens, that'll cost $1900. Still cheaper than this 'affordable' RP kit nonsense.

Canon want to position full-frame as a premium tier, rather than something affordable. Their entire strategy to date with RF reinforces that.

That doesn't prove, as you asserted, that the Canon option is about fat margins (relative to the Tamron or anything else). Maybe the new mirrorless Canon body and superzoom just cost more to make?

Upvote 0
I know I'm late to the party on this, but I've been staying off CR (to avoid being tempted to spend more money) and this lens on EF is kind of my white whale.

What is the point for this type of lenses?

Before autofocus was a thing, the rule in photojournalism and documentary photography was "F/8 and Be There." It is still true today, and given the ISO performance of modern sensors compared to pushing or pulling film, maybe even moreso. Set this lens at f/8 in the daytime and you will be ready for just about anything. Doing that also negates the "variable" aperture.

On my last trip I took the EOS R, RF 24-105, and the EF 70-300 L with the adapter. It would have been great to have nearly that entire range in a single lens that’s about the same size as the RF 24-105.

Agreed. However, I've been wanting this type of lens for the EF mount for a long time, so I could do the same thing with my 6D. Even on a crop sensor, it would make a great standard to telephoto zoom (38-384). I realize that they won't be able to translate the exact optics of the RF lens to the EF mount, but I'm hoping a similar EF lens at a similar price point is coming. They've already got the patents out there in the EF mount. The older L lens just isn't practical as a walkaround.

Upvote 0