Canon officially discontinues a lot more EF lenses

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
With all the hand wringing (including by me) I wonder this as well. Not to knock CR or any other rumors site, but "official" means a statement or list from Canon that we can view, or sites like B&H labeling them as such. A few lenses on this list are "official." But some don't make much sense, and the bulk of the list is marked in stock every where you look.

Doesn't mean CR is wrong as the list could be something only dealers are meant to see.
Give it a year. It will take a while to deplete stocks in the current economy, especially with the collapse of the ILC market.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I'm glad I got into DSLR photography back in 2014, I've been able to buy most of my EF lenses used for about half the price of new. If anyone wants a new DSLR I would suggest to buy it sooner rather then later.

It's good that we have the EF-RF and the EF-EF-M adapter, so everyone can use EF lenses in future bodies until they stop making the EF-RF adapter. I wonder if they will discontinue this adapter in a few years to force people on RF? Any thoughts on this?
If you have the adapter you can keep using EF until the RF mount gets replaced which is probably decades away. So EF will still live on in a way for a very long time.
I do not believe they will. Also there are already 3rd party adapters.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Moreover EF lenses can’t fully utilize AF capability of R5/6 (listed in the user manual of R5/6)

What limitations? What page of the manual? The only limitation I'm aware of is that some lenses cannot shoot 12 or 20 fps. That can be an issue with some lenses on 1DX models as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
A little bit earlier and faster than I expected.

Same here.
An RP successor, as compact with IBIS and better Sensor could make me change my mind.
I love my RP, and if they made an RP mark ii I would buy it in a heartbeat. Needs weather sealing on the next one. When I was in Kuala Lumpur I got caught in a deluge and my Peak Design shell was no match for the sheets of rain that poured in. Thankfully after I dried out the battery compartment i was able to bring it back to life and it’s been doing ok since (almost two years later) but the shutter button is still a little mushy.

point of the story: it wasn’t weather sealed and it still works after the equivalent of dropping it in a bathtub.

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
What limitations? What page of the manual? The only limitation I'm aware of is that some lenses cannot shoot 12 or 20 fps. That can be an issue with some lenses on 1DX models as well.
Sorry my bad, should be “not all EF lenses support 12fps shooting”

Attachments

• F3C3F474-6D54-41B4-93F9-4762681A6C12.png
    F3C3F474-6D54-41B4-93F9-4762681A6C12.png
    224.5 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
What's surprising to me is some of the lenses that haven't been discontinued in the midst of all of this carnage:

- The late 1990's vintage EF 28-135mm IS USM
- The early 2000's era EF-S 17-85mm IS USM (I got one as a kit lens with my 20D in 2004)

My guess is that the last production run of both of these lenses was a decade ago or longer, and they'll remain "active" until Canon either sells down existing stock or decides to unload them at fire sale prices.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What's surprising to me is some of the lenses that haven't been discontinued in the midst of all of this carnage:

- The late 1990's vintage EF 28-135mm IS USM
- The early 2000's era EF-S 17-85mm IS USM (I got one as a kit lens with my 20D in 2004)

My guess is that the last production run of both of these lenses was a decade ago or longer, and they'll remain "active" until Canon either sells down existing stock or decides to unload them at fire sale prices.
I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to buy the 17-85 - the 15-85 was vast improvement. I had the 17-85 with my 300D.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to buy the 17-85 - the 15-85 was vast improvement. I had the 17-85 with my 300D.
Exactly. So why kill the highly regarded 15-85 but leave the 17-85 active? Because they have stockrooms full of them.

EDIT: The 28-135 IS USM was a decent lens in its day, especially as an upgrade for the 28-105 USM I got in 1992 when its AF stopped working. But I went digital a year or so after I got it, when the 20D came out. Since it wasn't a good range for APS-C, I stopped using it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fletchahh

7D Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 31, 2020
Pasadena, CA
The number of popular, high quality EF-S lenses on the list, particularly the 10-22, 15-85, 17-55, and especially the 55-250 STM, convinces me even more that Canon has no further interest in APS-C (outside of the EOS M, if that) and there will be no APS-C R7.
There’s a confirmed APS-C R camera coming, and even with these lenses discontinued an R7 (or 90D+ equivalent) is the most likely option because more of its users don’t solely use EF-S lenses (and there are no RF-S lenses), and they have nothing built up that would entice a hypothetical RF rebel user to buy into the RF ecosystem.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
There’s a confirmed APS-C R camera coming, and even with these lenses discontinued an R7 (or 90D+ equivalent) is the most likely option because more of its users don’t solely use EF-S lenses (and there are no RF-S lenses), and they have nothing built up that would entice a hypothetical RF rebel user to buy into the RF ecosystem.
I hope you’re right but I’ve lost confidence that it’s really coming. There were a lot of “confirmed” 7D Mark III rumors a couple of years ago too.

Most of my 7Dii shooting is with a 100-400, but I still want a decent crop-mode normal lens (please not another plastic 18-55!), and maybe even wide angle like the 10-18 zoom for the once a year or so that I need it.

Upvote 0

Fletchahh

7D Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 31, 2020
Pasadena, CA
I hope you’re right but I’ve lost confidence that it’s really coming. There were a lot of “confirmed” 7D Mark III rumors a couple of years ago too.

Most of my 7Dii shooting is with a 100-400, but I still want a decent crop-mode normal lens (please not another plastic 18-55!), and maybe even wide angle like the 10-18 zoom for the once a year or so that I need it.
Yeah, hope they come out with decent crop lenses eventually, but I'm happy for the time being using exclusively EF and EF-S lenses when it comes out, plus it'll be nice to have IBIS stabilization for my Sigma f/1.8 zooms. The only RF lens I would be interested in buying for now is if they make a 200-600mm or DO 500mm f/5.6, a decent quality super telephoto that doesn't cost a fortune. I know they have the 600mm and 800mm f/11, but I'd more often just use my 100-400mm with an extender.

Upvote 0
Maybe somebody has asked this question - if so, I missed it - but what do you mean by "officially?" Do we have an actual statement from Canon? Do we have actual sellers reporting that Canon has told them these lenses are being discontinued? Or are you just speculating that "Sold out" or "Unavailable" means discontinued? That seems to be the most important question that should be answered.
Good question. I think I recall CR Guy saying in another thread that this was something coming from some retailers who had been told so (but I may recall incorrectly, so apologies if I'm wrong).

But, I also think if this was "official" then there should be a formal announcement somewhere linked to Canon, to say this. That said, I don't know if this is how they would do it?

My own opinion on this is that the writing is on the wall that EF is in decline, but that some may be jumping the gun and maybe "not currently in production and no known plans to make another run" is being translated as "officially discontinued". Happy to be proved wrong, and find out more about the "official" in all of this.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Yeah, hope they come out with decent crop lenses eventually, but I'm happy for the time being using exclusively EF and EF-S lenses when it comes out, plus it'll be nice to have IBIS stabilization for my Sigma f/1.8 zooms. The only RF lens I would be interested in buying for now is if they make a 200-600mm or DO 500mm f/5.6, a decent quality super telephoto that doesn't cost a fortune. I know they have the 600mm and 800mm f/11, but I'd more often just use my 100-400mm with an extender.
Have you looked at the Sony α6600? 24MP APS-C with fast AF and tracking, IBIS, face/eye and animal eye AF, and there are several EF lens mount adapters available, including one from Sigma that should be well paired (in terms of its electronic command protocol) to their Art lenses (if you have to adapt your EF lenses anyway, why limit yourself to Canon bodies?). Sony also makes a US$2000 200-600 lens that looks amazing. You can see some examples of what people are doing with it here.

• Haha
Upvote 0