Canon officially discontinues a lot more EF lenses

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I'll be an underselling scab and accept $1150 for mine, bought within the last two years. It was the first lens I used on my R5 (because it was the widest full frame I had at the time) and I've even posted pictures taken with it here, on CR.

:ROFLMAO:
You and KrisK jest, but the little Pentax M series 40mm f/2.8 pancake, very similar to look at as the EF version but a different optical formula, which was introduced in 1976 along with the diminutive M cameras as a budget ‘kit’ lens, is now as hard to find as rocking horse s**t, and when you do find one they are a daft price !
(Also optically they are petty bad unlike the EF one which is pretty good - if you don’t mind a bit of field curvature).

Upvote 0
I’m excited for the transition however, it seems that canon has roared ahead on the stills front (RP,R,R6,R5) and has left the video side behind (c70). I know it’s rumoured about other professional video cameras coming out for RF but you can only go on what’s actually here- with that I just don’t understand why they haven’t brought the video side of the business with the RF transition as much as the stills side. Especially once you make an RF lens purchase you are locked into that system completely with no option to adapt it to anything else.

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
Can you list some of these AF capabilities EF lenses adapted to RF cameras that won't work...for those of us without any R5/6 manuals?

Thanks in advance,
C
Sorry my bad, should be only listed EF lenses can support 12 fps shooting

Attachments

• 0E8E33AD-9E7C-4566-8F28-1430F75B37C1.png
    0E8E33AD-9E7C-4566-8F28-1430F75B37C1.png
    224.5 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0

dominic_siu

Aug 31, 2018
Half the comments here or more are completely nuts. Canon's discontinued practically every lens they've ever made. So has every other manufacturer. Never has discontinuing a lens been described as an "insult" to the user base, so why take it as such now!??!

You guys are whining that Canon's not going to continue to sell and support these models forever? How about you guys: if they did would you keep buying it?

Notice that not one of the EF fanbois is actually saying they'd continue to buy EF glass were it to continue to be available new. None are saying they'd buy new EF designs. NOT EVEN ONE SUCH COMMENT. Instead everyone's commenting that they'll keep buying EF on the secondary market, where such sells doesn't put a goddamn yen in Canon's pocket. In effect you're attacking Canon for failing to continue sales of something that none of you are even suggesting you MIGHT buy. That's just silly!

Now: I'm not mad that you're not supporting Canon. In fact you're being quite reasonable. EF line hit several evolutionary dead ends, ranging from film-to-flange distance to the speed of the electronics bus to the lack of support for the assignable ring control. You're doing the right thing. EF is dead. There is no reason to keep buying it new. You'd be stupid to want to keep buying the current lenses when they're so widely available used, and doubly stupid to want new designs in this old mount.

But you guys could be the illustration in Wikipedia for Cognitive Dissonance for bemoaning the discontinuation of a product line that none of you show any interest in buying.

Just a fun poll if you've read this far: what is the most recent purchase you've done of EF glass? Personally, it was getting the 50/1.2 and 8-15 fish in 2011. Anyone buy new EF glass more recently than that? Anyone buy new EF glass since RF came out?

At the time I liquidated over half of my glass was discontinued. 50/1.4, 8-15, 135/2, 180Mac, and 50/1.2 I think are all still for sale. But a 1st-gen 600/4IS, 1st-gen 85/1.2, 1st-gen 24-105/4IS, 1st-gen 14/2.8, 1st-gen 24TS, 1st-gen 50/1.8 (the pro build one from '87), 50/1.0, 1st-gen 24/1.4. And my trinity zooms were at least one generation old if not two. And not only did I not whine about it, I never even bothered tallying it up. I just didn't care.
The last one I bought was 85 1.4L in 2018 but when R came out I dumped all EF lenses as I found using EF lenses on R bodies is cumbersome.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
EF just like FD, same thing happen again

Yes and no. Discontinuing the lenses abruptly--yes. The old lenses being useless on the new cameras? No. Yeah, an adapter can be a pain in the butt, and I'd think twice before buying an EF lens if I didn't have an EF camera, becuase I'd have to either buy an adapter to live on that lens OR deal with swapping, but any EF lens you now have isn't useless, unless the FD lenses.

Actually FD lenses are easier to adapt to RF than to EF, from what I'm told, so they might make a comeback in the aftermarket.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The premise of my argument is the fact Canon are still selling DSLRs both full frame & cropped but are discontinuing EF & EF-S lenses. If your going to kill so many EF lenses then kill the cameras that use them as well. They also don't seem to have a replacement for the Rebel, 80D, 90D & 7D MKII line of cameras or lenses in the RF system I certainly do not see the M lineup being the 1.6X route for these cameras so what is Canon long term plan they are certainly not sharing anything with their huge customer base.

From a price point they have concentrated mainly on the higher end in the RF lineup to date (RF35 1.8 Macro, RF 50mm 1.8, RF 85mm f2, RF 24-240mm f4-6.3, RF 24-105mm f4-7.1 being the only cheaper options). Camera systems once your in one are rarely changed out of. It follows the logic of moving up through a car makers base cars to the more expensive cars through your buying lifetime and generates customer loyalty. Canon has profited from this and can only continue to do so by having a product spread at various price points. It also needs to respect its customers and bring them on the journey not offer up a guessing game.

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

Aug 31, 2018
The premise of my argument is the fact Canon are still selling DSLRs both full frame & cropped but are discontinuing EF & EF-S lenses. If your going to kill so many EF lenses then kill the cameras that use them as well. They also don't seem to have a replacement for the Rebel, 80D, 90D & 7D MKII line of cameras or lenses in the RF system I certainly do not see the M lineup being the 1.6X route for these cameras so what is Canon long term plan they are certainly not sharing anything with their huge customer base.

From a price point they have concentrated mainly on the higher end in the RF lineup to date (RF35 1.8 Macro, RF 50mm 1.8, RF 85mm f2, RF 24-240mm f4-6.3, RF 24-105mm f4-7.1 being the only cheaper options). Camera systems once your in one are rarely changed out of. It follows the logic of moving up through a car makers base cars to the more expensive cars through your buying lifetime and generates customer loyalty. Canon has profited from this and can only continue to do so by having a product spread at various price points. It also needs to respect its customers and bring them on the journey not offer up a guessing game.
Selling DSLR but won’t be for long. If I were Canon executives and see the success of R5/6 then I would really push hard for EF to RF transition by killing those DSLR and EF lenses sooner than later

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Selling DSLR but won’t be for long. If I were Canon executives and see the success of R5/6 then I would really push hard for EF to RF transition by killing those DSLR and EF lenses sooner than later
Agreed. They need to update RP as their entry level RF camera, and add some consumer grade lenses to push that end of the market into RF mount.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
Mass lens discontinuations strike me as being premature. It shows contempt for their DSLR users.
I saw the same in mid 80's with the shift from FD to EF mount.
It is very sad. And definitely not funny to be caught in such a shift in technology. Now it is the second time for me....
However modern cameras last for 5-10 years. Lenses for decades.
The hard part is investing in a new R5/R6 camera and a RF 24-70 L f/2.8 and RF 70-200 f/2.0 L "to get started"....
I definitely will aim for that, but do hope that prices will drop just a bit within the next couples of years.
In the meanwhile: my current cameras an lenses as good today as they were yesterday. How knows - someday DSLRs will be as hyped a classic filmcamera are today?

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
Agreed. They need to update RP as their entry level RF camera, and add some consumer grade lenses to push that end of the market into RF mount.
exactly: the the hit, discontinue old stuff, and move on.
Canon do know how to do this. They have done it before. And even that I did not liked it back in the 80's and do not like it now, I think it is necessary. Keeping two complete lines lenses in production are way to expensive.
However: I still miss a final 5D style EF mount camera. - A final salute to the DSLR era.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010

Maybe Canon will let the 1.6x crop DLSRs die? Before the fisrt DSLR, there was no such thing as a 1.3x or 1.5x or 1.6x crop stills camera.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
When Canon decided we would all be better off with the EF mount customers had a choice to either go with them or leave. History would probably suggest that Canon made the right choice. Canon clearly think we are now better off with mirrorless, both in photographic terms and rewarding their shareholders, but this time we can at least continue to use our old EF lenses without any penalty. I always thought that the Rebel range would be chopped in favour of mirrorless as Canon made no attempt to improve the slr experience with these cameras, continuing to use the inferior pentamirror to the end. To be honest the slr experience with the higher end pentaprism cameras has become corrupted compered to what it used to be, without built in diopter adjustments, LCD overlays, AF arrays and translucent mirrors the view through my old manual focus film cameras such as the Nikon FM, Pentax ME/MX is so much clearer than anything we have today, and the medium format Pentax 6x7 is in another league again. But even so, after using the EVF cameras it is always refreshing for me to return to a DSLR.

EF-m is an interesting one given rumours of its demise because clearly EF-s is on its way out and I believe that camera manufacturers will struggle to sell the 'FF is best' message to many keen photographers who don't habitually shoot in very low light handheld or want razor thin dof. I was interesting to see that here in the UK in our prestigious 'Landscape Photographer of the Year' competition which attracts about 40,000 entries ( !! how DO you judge that ??), and has a £10,000 first prize, was won by a rather pleasing picture taken on a crop sensor.

Every digital EOS camera I've ever owned (7 in all from a Rebel XTi to a 5D Mark IV), plus all the others I've rented/borrowed, have had built-in diopter adjustment. What EOS digital bodies don't have built-in diopter adjustment?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'm very surprised this is happening so quickly. With the release of the 1DX III so recent, I had assumed Canon would start doing this in 3-4 years from now. (i.e. a full DSLR product cycle after their last DSLR body).

I was thinking of selling my 135 F2L... but now, I may just keep it as a momento of my EF days an for the odd chance I ever use it on the R5. With the 85 1.2L being so good... I haven't used it in a very long time...

I will never sell my EF 135/2 L. It's my "from my cold, dead hands" lens.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Every digital EOS camera I've ever owned (7 in all from a Rebel XTi to a 5D Mark IV), plus all the others I've rented/borrowed, have had built-in diopter adjustment. What EOS digital bodies don't have built-in diopter adjustment?
Non. The corruption started early ;)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
EF-S lenses being discontinued and yet nothing in the pipeline for entry-level and crop sensor shooters. Is Canon going to offer anything for this price point or are they really banking on the entire vlogger and student/casual photographer market disappearing altogether?

I thinks it's more that they've read the tea leaves that vloggers and student/casual photographers are increasingly abandoning dedicated cameras for smart phones in droves and aren't ever coming back.

Upvote 0