Canon Patent Application: Canon TS-R lenses

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
I'm looking forward to seeing what Canon has cooked up here, but sincerely hope that a lens collar is at least optional on all of these. Architectural, product, and landscape photographers are among the target markets here; macro photographers too if these focus to 1:2 like the last generation. It's fun to dream that landscape and architectural photographers might get f/2.8 TS lenses, but who can say whether the market would bear the prices?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
I'm looking forward to seeing what Canon has cooked up here, but sincerely hope that a lens collar is at least optional on all of these. Architectural, product, and landscape photographers are among the target markets here; macro photographers too if these focus to 1:2 like the last generation. It's fun to dream that landscape and architectural photographers might get f/2.8 TS lenses, but who can say whether the market would bear the prices?
This macro photographer wants 1:1 reproduction. The TS-E 135 mm retails for +/- 2500 € in the Netherlands. I do not want to think about the price of a 180 or 200 mm tilt shift macro with 1:1 reproduction and AF.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
This macro photographer wants 1:1 reproduction. The TS-E 135 mm retails for +/- 2500 € in the Netherlands. I do not want to think about the price of a 180 or 200 mm tilt shift macro with 1:1 reproduction and AF.
The prices aren't going to be easy, but I'm confident that Canon is doing everything they can to ensure those who buy TS-R will be pleased with their purchases.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
My expectation for the EF180L replacement is already €2500, I really hope it doesn’t go beyond that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
What would people use a 180mm or 200mm tilt shift lens for?
I know people using them for architecture, products…but 200mm? Just curious.
I would primarily use it to keep at or near the maximum aperture, but modify the focus area. Another use I would probably use it is for stitching landscape shots of a distant hill or mountain, It might be interesting to try taking a photo from a high window of a person below and seeing how a perspective correction will look.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I would use it for macro, provided it can do 1:1 magnification. Sadly the amount of tilt needed to tilt the focus plane increases the closer you get, so at 1:1 you’ll only get a subtle effect.

Shift is likely more useful to me when being low to the ground and can’t get the camera completely horizontal.

I used the TS-E 90mm for macro shots, but the IQ dropped off significantly when tilting. I exchanged it for a sigma 150mm macro.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Can anyone enlighten me why need TS on telephoto when UWA is much more needed?

To tilt the line of focus from perpendicular to the optical axis of the lens.

For example, you're shooting high school football from the sideline and you want a photo showing the offensive and defensive lines engaging shortly after the snap. If you're behind the offense on the left side of their formation the end closer to your sideline is much closer to you than the other end. If the players on your end are the point of focus then the other end will be fairly blurry at f/2.8 (It's a night game and you have to use ISO3200 at f/2.8 just to make 1/800 or 1/1000 possible). Or vice-versa.

Now take a lens with sideways tilt (sometimes called swing) to the left. The "plane" of focus will shift to closer on the left side of the image and further on the right side of the image and more of the line of scrimmage that is angled away from you on the right will be in focus.

The reason I know this is because after my 70-200/2.8 took a nasty fall it had a pronounced tilt that was mostly to the left. I had to shoot around it until I could send it in to CPS.

Compare the grass on the lower left to the grass on the lower right. Then compare the trees behind everything on the left to the right. Autofocus was aimed on the sign attached to the shipping container in the center of the frame. [Apparently the EXIF info is stripped by CR. Canon EOS 7D Mark II + EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II. 70mm, ISO100, f/2.8, 1/5000. This was one of several test shots I included on a CD-R when I sent the lens to Canon Factory Service.]

201609080120HR.JPG

CPS sent it back as sharp and straight, if not sharper, than when it was new. The description of the repair said "electronically adjusted". I'm guessing they biased the "neutral" position of the IS group. The reason I'm guessing that is about a year or so after that my IS starting acting up. When the camera/lens was held at certain angles with respect to gravity the IS would vibrate continuously and rapidly. Looking through the viewfinder made whatever was in the frame look like it was shaking violently. This progressed until there were ever increasing positions where this occurred and I had to send the lens to CPS again to get the IS unit replaced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0