Canon Patent Application: Fast APS-C Primes

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
I did read the patent description!
I did realize that those are included!
And because of this, I wrote my comment.

The EF-M 22/2 is highly considered. So getting an RF-S version is almost a no-brainer to me.
And this is representing the typical FF equivalent of a 35mm lens.
But for people loving primes, something wider would be cool to add as a really nice prime setup.

Or what do you think?
Of course! :).

I really enjoyed the EF-M 22/F2 when I had the M6, and 35mm is one of my favorite focal lengths for general walkabouts. I am guessing that it will come to the RF mount eventually, especially if/when the M mount shows sign of slowing growth. When they do, I hope they don't simply re-house the EF-M 22 optical elements in a RF mount compatible body, but to have a new design that has even better optical performance.

Upvote 0
I'm worried those EF-M lens might have flange distance that's too short, turning it into RF might end up a 24mm/f2. EF-M15-45 turned into RF-S18-45.
the difference in flange distance shouldn't make a huge difference there.
the lens can always sit a bit further back into the camera body another 2mm.

That being all said, I do wonder why Canon simply didn't move EF-M to RF-S .. especially the 22mm and the 32mm, not to mention the 11-22mm.

That least would have gotten me to consider an RF-S camera body - which with the way it is, it's in the not-a-chance-in-hell category.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0