Canon Patent Application for Drone Camera Gimbal

As discovered by CanonNews while this is hardly new technology that will shock the industry, it’s intriguing that Canon spent what seems to be a considerable amount of time drafting a patent application on a drone (or as they also say, any moving vehicle) consumer camera gimbal.

JPA-504046746_i_000005-scaled.jpg

JPA-504046746_i_000006-168x168.jpg

JPA-504046746_i_000010-scaled.jpg

Canon has applied for patents in this space before, as we have mentioned here not so long ago and they continue to apply for patents in this area.  While Canon has developed industrial drones before, these patents are certainly discussing a more consumer variant than we have seen Canon do...

Continue reading...

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I think that drone photography is the single biggest unfilled mass market in future photography. I hesitate to invest in the current Chinese drone leader and would hope that another more trustworthy (IMHO) company, like Canon, would successfully compete in this crucial market.

Don't put off buying equipment if you need it today!

I wouldn't hold my breath, there is no way Canon will produce affordable, value for money drones packed with features like DJI. They most likely will employ their stupid market segmentation strategy, better known as the 'Canon cripple hammer' to lock out basic features in the cheaper models, and sell their more useful mid to pro level gear at over-inflated prices. If they are brazen enough to put a fake overheat timer into the R5, what makes you think they wouldn't intentionally use undersized batteries or fake battery capacity cutouts in a drone to limit flight time? Or lock out video modes in firmware intentionally?

Finally, patents are just possible ideas for potential future products, it's quite possible that Canon drones may never be produced, or they may dip their toes in the water and the products will be a complete flop.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Don't put off buying equipment if you need it today!

I wouldn't hold my breath, there is no way Canon will produce affordable, value for money drones packed with features like DJI. They most likely will employ their stupid market segmentation strategy, better known as the 'Canon cripple hammer' to lock out basic features in the cheaper models, and sell their more useful mid to pro level gear at over-inflated prices. If they are brazen enough to put a fake overheat timer into the R5, what makes you think they wouldn't intentionally use undersized batteries or fake battery capacity cutouts in a drone to limit flight time? Or lock out video modes in firmware intentionally?

Finally, patents are just possible ideas for potential future products, it's quite possible that Canon drones may never be produced, or they may dip their toes in the water and the products will be a complete flop.
While I agree with much of what you mention, I don't think it is beyond Canon to compete with DJI if they decided they had to. Do I think they will, successfully? Well, my guess is probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. And it's a shame, since that's where soooo much money will be spent in filling a new market with massive sales expectations.

I don't *need* a drone today. If so, then I'd bite the bullet and get DJI. I can wait a couple years to see if anyone else gets in the market with a viable enough product.

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
While I agree with much of what you mention, I don't think it is beyond Canon to compete with DJI if they decided they had to. Do I think they will, successfully? Well, my guess is probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. And it's a shame, since that's where soooo much money will be spent in filling a new market with massive sales expectations.

I don't *need* a drone today. If so, then I'd bite the bullet and get DJI. I can wait a couple years to see if anyone else gets in the market with a viable enough product.
Drones tend to be a cutting edge high-tech market, where products are packed with all the latest features for the price, that's something that Sony tends to do as that's their point of difference from Canon. Consumers buy the drones with the best video quality and flight times available for their budget, and that's why DJI is where it is. Some companies don't withhold technology intentionally like Canon does, and try to pack in the highest tech specs for the money, and therefore attract a lot of tech gear enthusiasts for that reason. Canon is not one of those companies...

Upvote 0