Canon Patent Application: IBIS heat transfer improvements

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As sensors get more complicated, faster, and also more stacked there is more heat generated from the sensor itself. As fabrication design rules get smaller, for normal chips that reduces the size of the chip which reduces the resistance to electric current, and usually heat – which is why as design rules get smaller, chips

See full article...

Reactions: 4 users
Let me know if you like this longer form patent application descriptions or the quick and dirty .. here's the patent. here's a snippet, go read it of you want to know anything. I try to assume that not everyone comes from a tech, engineering background so many have absolutely no idea why stuff like this is important.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Let me know if you like this longer form patent application descriptions or the quick and dirty .. here's the patent. here's a snippet, go read it of you want to know anything. I try to assume that not everyone comes from a tech, engineering background so many have absolutely no idea why stuff like this is important.
I think it is good to explain the technical details and function of a patent a bit more in detail.
Even though a lot here are real gearheads, some are not.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
As long as it doesn't turn solid, obviously, that would be a problem for IBIS ;) So this would have to stay in liquid form and if it does it would provide a near equivalent of a metal connection between the moving plate and the fixed plate.
This is the principle of a heat pipe, but with a flexible and very short pipe.
I don't see the type of working fluid, and I am not sure how the short length reduces the efficiency.
And as it has to be flexible, this is the most difficult part in adapting a heat pipe for cooling the IBIS.
Quite interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So with the sensor movement being effectively damped by the rubber tube the IBIS motor would have to work harder generating more heat.
Hopefully this will be restricted to video specific bodies only.

with Canon's IBIS there is two types of corrections - low frequency and high frequency movement. Think low frequency as the slow movement / drift when you are hand holding, and higher frequency as your hand shake after coffee.

low frequency correction this would be ok, but high frequency may be damped a bit - but it really depends on the material they use.

Also the motors are on the fixed plate so that's less of a concern.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I agree with the growing consensus that longer and more descriptive is appreciated!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
So these types of patent applications are kind of cool (pun clearly intended), as they also cross boundaries and multiple industries, there are a lot of examples of where you need to move heat from a vibrating plate effectively.

I was thingking about this and could only guess - in which cases do you need to remove heat from a vibrating plate?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Let me know if you like this longer form patent application descriptions or the quick and dirty
Richard, I forgot to thank you for writing the longer description and for asking for our opinion.
This is not meant to sound like pandering. It is the right thing to do when dealing with each other.
Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It's why I read both Canonnews and Canonrumo(u)rs, so having it in one place saves me one tab in the browser window :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So these types of patent applications are kind of cool (pun clearly intended), as they also cross boundaries and multiple industries, there are a lot of examples of where you need to move heat from a vibrating plate effectively.

I was thingking about this and could only guess - in which cases do you need to remove heat from a vibrating plate?

I can't comment much on it, but I sent the patent application off to the owner of the company that I have another contract with because while it's in a different field we have been grappling around with the same things. So that's one of the few times I was stating something from personal experience :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I do come from a tech background but it still leaves a lot of questions unanswered.
It would still be better than what we have now so I am all for it.

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
I can't comment much on it, but I sent the patent application off to the owner of the company that I have another contract with because while it's in a different field we have been grappling around with the same things. So that's one of the few times I was stating something from personal experience :)
I understand, - or do not understand and searched for my self. My first guess was Radar, Sonar Beamforming or Microwave-Ovens. But now i ended up with solar collectors and glass recycling: The effect of internal plate vibration on the rate of heat transfer in a glass recycling process dryer. I seems so as if this is indeed a field of wide applications. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
So with the sensor movement being effectively damped by the rubber tube the IBIS motor would have to work harder generating more heat.
Hopefully this will be restricted to video specific bodies only.
Since the tube is protected, it can be made from a very flexible material/thinner walled material. Of course it remains to be seen if it can be flexible, durable and light 'enough'.

Upvote 0