Canon Patent Application: Shutter that minimizes shutter shock

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Shutter shock seems to be a phenomenon that arrived with more robust vertical plane shutters. One of the biggest culprits was the original Nikon FM from 1979, an incredibly popular camera concept, but the early adoption of the Copal vertical plane metal shutter caused the whole camera to jump when the shutter fired. In retrospect I realise it caused me many sharpness issues. The situation was improved with the FM2. I think this was why at the time the professional 35mm cameras continued to use the horizontal curtain shutters despite the fact that it gave a slower flash sync speed, but shutter shock more almost non existent, and I realise now, decades too late, why I generally got sharper images with my Nikon F3 than I did with the original FM.
So the phenomenon isn’t just to do with mirrorless, but i haven’t heard of specifically IBIS making it worse.
I notice shutter shock-like effects in the 1/60-1/200s range, which I strongly suspect is more an effect of the way Canon programs there ILIS/IBIS systems than it is an effect of mechanical resonance. But that's only with fully mechanical shutter, which is a mode I virtually never use, since I don't have EF/RF lenses faster than f/1.8.

My M6II is another story, that only has a fully mechanical shutter and not a well dampened one, you can feel the camera jumping when holding it loosely. Luckily my most used lens on that is the EF-M 32mm f/1.4, which has no IS that Canon programmed to make things worse :)

Upvote 0