Canon Patent: Hybrid Speedlite with active cooling

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
So do the current generation Speedlites work identically on the new mirrorless bodies or do you loose some featured hence a new flash coming that needs LED to focus..... IR LED like CCTV?

I’ve no experience of the R cameras (yet) so does my battered 580EX II just work with them?

AFAIK the only feature you lose is the red focus assist thing, it doesn't work on mirrorless/live view.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Just thinking aloud, would IR LED work for focus assist on mirrorless or is IR blocked/filtered at sensor level?

IR is filtered on pretty much all DSLRs and mirrorless cameras not specifically customized for astro or infrared work. The AF assist and optical wireless flash control light used by Canon (and others) is visible near-infrared light, not infrared.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Can EOS-R / RP camera users confirm this?
I have no idea why an AF assist beam would not work. However, I have shot in near blackness with off camera flash and had no problem either seeing my subject (through the EVF) or with AF. This is at f/1.2. No problem at all. I think I shot about 95 photos that night. Never missed focus. Never had a problem. BTW: The camera has it's own LED AF Assist beam. In my opinion, this is a non issue.

Attachments

• Perfection 1 web.jpg
    Perfection 1 web.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 227
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Just thinking aloud, would IR LED work for focus assist on mirrorless or is IR blocked/filtered at sensor level?
The R and RP have an LED AF Assist beam. I have no idea how it works, I just know it works. Like Mr. Clark said, it is near infrared and visible, but not infrared.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The R and RP have an LED AF Assist beam. I have no idea how it works, I just know it works. Like Mr. Clark said, it is near infrared and visible, but not infrared.
the LED on the EOS r is just that. and LED light to help focus. the canon brand external flashes had a little red or IR beam that isnt very visible. the high end flashes has a pattern that moves with the focus point you choose.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I have no idea why an AF assist beam would not work. However, I have shot in near blackness with off camera flash and had no problem either seeing my subject (through the EVF) or with AF. This is at f/1.2. No problem at all. I think I shot about 95 photos that night. Never missed focus. Never had a problem. BTW: The camera has it's own LED AF Assist beam. In my opinion, this is a non issue.
people say mirrorless cameras is missing something on the sensor to detect the IR beam. Profoto states it on their A1 material. i never tested it. also the eos r has very good af and gets better with the lower f stop lenses. so it has to be really really dark for it not to focus.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
people say mirrorless cameras is missing something on the sensor to detect the IR beam. Profoto states it on their A1 material. i never tested it. also the eos r has very good af and gets better with the lower f stop lenses. so it has to be really really dark for it not to focus.
From personal experience, I know it works very well. That's why I post examples. Many times people post things about an issue they heard or read about, that is not an issue at all. Of course, you already know that. ;) I no longer have my Canon flash, but I do notice in the example above that Focus Assist beam can be enabled or disabled... or one can have the LED only. I assume that if the AF assist beam doesn't work on the flash that Canon would have disabled this in the firmware. But I don't know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
From personal experience, I know it works very well. That's why I post examples. Many times people post things about an issue they heard or read about, that is not an issue at all. Of course, you already know that. ;) I no longer have my Canon flash, but I do notice in the example above that Focus Assist beam can be enabled or disabled... or one can have the LED only. I assume that if the AF assist beam doesn't work on the flash that Canon would have disabled this in the firmware. But I don't know.
here is what i just read "The issue, as I understand it, is that traditional AF assist beams are IR which is filtered by the sensor's IR layer. In a DSLR, the PDAF system can see the AF assist beam and focus is acquired without the sensor readout. With mirrorless, the sensor is performing AF, so those traditional AF beams simply cannot be used as they are being filtered. "

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
here is what i just read "The issue, as I understand it, is that traditional AF assist beams are IR which is filtered by the sensor's IR layer. In a DSLR, the PDAF system can see the AF assist beam and focus is acquired without the sensor readout. With mirrorless, the sensor is performing AF, so those traditional AF beams simply cannot be used as they are being filtered. "
Might just be the answer. I read the same thing in another forum. I just have no idea whether he's credible or not.

I still wonder why there is: 1. Enable, 2. Disable, 3. LED only. It just seems strange to me. Then again, Canon didn't go to an LED on the camera side for nothing. Maybe less expensive?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
But you can see the AF assist beam pattern, which means it isn't, at least entirely, IR wavelengths.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
But you can see the AF assist beam pattern, which means it isn't, at least entirely, IR wavelengths.
I just know 3rd party flashes have a nasty visible pattern that is distracting and stays on in the center of where it is pointed while canon flickers real fast and is barely noticeable. I wish someone would try to prove this.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Might just be the answer. I read the same thing in another forum. I just have no idea whether he's credible or not.

I still wonder why there is: 1. Enable, 2. Disable, 3. LED only. It just seems strange to me. Then again, Canon didn't go to an LED on the camera side for nothing. Maybe less expensive?
yeah the mark 3 and iv doesnt have any built in af assist like some other brands' prosumer cameras until the eos r.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Yes and in addition the IR-Assist pattern can be photographed by DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. so the theory that sensors Do not capture the IR-assist pattern isn’t very well substantiated.

Upvote 0