Canon patents a built-in tilting viewfinder

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
I suspect that extension tubes were never very popular, and they're likely pretty far down on Canon's priority list for the RF mount. I think they're of even less importance considering that Canon is adding semi-macro capability to many lenses that would have formerly have been used with tubes, e.g the RF 24/1.8, 35/1.8 and 85/2 all go to 0.5x native magnification.

I do have the EF versions of the 12 and 25mm tubes, which I use mainly for closer focus with the 600/4 II. Although I was not inclined to trust a 3rd party tube as the bridge between a $13K lens and a $6-7K body, for what is probably a more typical extension tube use case (increased magnification for standard lenses) a 3rd party option would be fine. There are already several of those for the RF mount, e.g. Vello (12 + 20 set), Kenko (10 + 16 set), Meike (13 + 18 set) and Fotodiox (15 and 35, separate).
Ditto. I usually use them on my 600mm also, or at least I used to. I do have the Meike tubes that I frequently use with the 100-500 for wildflowers. Having that extra bit of close focusing distance often does make a difference. Those Meike tubes aren't especially well made, but the lens functions work perfectly. I wouldn't go on a hike carrying the camera with the lens attached to the camera via those ext. tubes, but they are handy. Canon could easily make some tubes built to the same standards as their EF-RF adapters. I would buy those immediately (along with an angle finder!).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
I've long wanted something like this, but with an EVF I'd be even more impressed if one could use the custom settings to invert the image. It would be like an old film camera. Perfect for doing landscape work where you can flip the image to help abstract out the composition. I've wanted something like this for many years, but never thought I would see it in a 35mm format.

Upvote 0
I'm curious: For those who would rather have the tilting EVF than the articulating screen, what would you do for portrait/vertical orientation composition? Or if you want to use the timer to be in the shot and see where you are in the frame?*

I would love to try a tilting EVF, but not at the expense of an articulating screen. Can't imagine giving up my articulating screen...**

* Yes, I know one can use a phone with wireless connection, but that's such a hassle, in my opinion.

** Maybe it's because I've had one on every Canon camera I've ever owned: A80, G12, 70D, R5...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It would have to be an added option, not a replacement for articulating screens. This would be useless for photojournalists trying to get a shot during a scrum. For any kind of shooting where you are holding the camera up above your head, you need the larger articulating screen to see what you are shooting.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0